PDA

View Full Version : growing gourds

shaper
05-16-2018, 08:13 PM
Got to thinking today that I don't see gourd birdhouses anymore. They may still be around but I haven't looked for them. Anyway, I thought i may want to grow some this year. So I'm looking for advice on the subject. What type. sun or shade, trellis or on the ground, how many to expect per plant. Is there a process to dry them. Which ones are eatable. I have about three acres to work on, a Massey Ferguson with a 5 foot rotor tiller and love the smell of fresh tilled ground, and they are calling me.

Duckiller
05-17-2018, 05:44 PM
Start looking for seeds. I want to grow birdhouse gourds but have difficulty finding seeds. Local garden store just don't carry.

farmerjim
05-17-2018, 06:01 PM
Seed- http://www.johnnyseeds.com/vegetables/gourds/bottle-or-birdhouse-gourd-seed-609.htm

Gourds are not pollinated by bees. The flowers open at night and are pollinated by Moths. You may have to hand pollinate them till the moths find them. The ones that pollinate my Italian squash look just like hummingbirds. You will make better quality gourds if you trellis them. After the first year you can save your own seed for the next year.

jdfoxinc
05-17-2018, 07:32 PM
If you want to make a canteen shaped one make a mold out of two pieces of plywood held apart about 3" and place either side of a small gourd so it will.grow flat and round.

jd9770
05-17-2018, 08:12 PM
You can get gourd seed from heirloom seed companies, most are online and most still publish paper catalogs as well.