PDA

View Full Version : Safety Wire Pliers

metricmonkeywrench
05-09-2018, 12:20 PM
In another thread a conversation popped up about identification and use of Safety Wire Pliers, so to avoid hijacking the OP’s excellent thread I have opted to start a new topic. Many have seen different fasteners over the years that include thru holes in the wrench head or nuts and other fasteners that have holes drilled thru the wrenching flats and wondered what they were for. Safety wire is predominantly found in the aircraft world where fastener retention is a paramount concern and shows up in racing and some high vibration commercial applications. The conversation mentioned really revolves around the tool. Though I am not a leading expert in the technology and engineering behind when and where safety wire is needed, I have definite experience on ground vehicles while in the military I am sure some of the aircraft oriented members will chime in.
The description and use is well covered in Wikipedia and there are U-tube videos so I won’t spend time going over it here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Safety_wire

In general to apply safety wire a set of specialty pliers are used. There are basically 2 different sizes available, a smaller 6in, and a more generic 9in length and can be found at the usual places to get tools to include northern and horrible freight. The size used depends on the selected wire size and application. Both operate same way, the pliers consist of the semi needle nose jaws to help push and pull the wire through the fastener, wire cutters and a knurled gripping section to grip the wire, the handle end which includes a locking latch to clamp down on the wire and the mechanism that spins the tool on a square helix shaft to impart the twisting action to the wire when the handle is pulled. Once the mechanics are understood it can be done manually using a pair of vice grips, but the results are generally an ugly mess demonstrating why there is a proper tool for the job.

The process is fairly simple to describe, loop the wire through the hole around the fastener, clamp into the pliers, apply the twist which will also draw the wire in to conform with the fastener, connect to the second fastener (or fixed point) in the direction of tightening, feed the receiving fastener in the direction of tightening and twist again, clip of the excess and curl or fold the end in to avoid having a “spike” that will snag you or your clothing (I have the scars from bad jobs).

Sounds easy enough until you get into the actual application. It is definitely a thinking game and a definite lesson in patience. To train the young pups we had a metal block with fasteners all around in different orientations for them to practice on and some never really mastered the skill. The first major hurdle is connecting the fasteners in the tightening direction (normally clockwise), having the start and end of the twist at the fastener holes (second hurdle) and getting the backwards “S” look. This is easy enough when the fasteners have the holes aligned to a relative twelve to six orientation with each other. But being the real world most fasteners end up everywhere but perfectly aligned (worst case is with both fasteners at 9-3). Note the need to loop twisted portion around the fastener.

The second hurdle to overcome is the length of the twisted area, as the wire is twisted it actually shortens in length making the connection to the second point either too short (better because you can re-bite and twist to the desired length) or worst case too long eliminating the ability to get a nice tight wire lay between the two fasteners. If applied properly the wire can be plucked like a guitar string and remain looped around the fasteners.

The third hurdle is while attempting to get the wire to lay, wrap and twist correctly is not to break it. Overenthusiastic twisting will break the wire, generally at the root of the twist. If attempting to do a multiple fastener job sometimes the work can be salvaged by cutting back to the last pair of “good” wired fasteners.

Done well it can be a piece of art. Like anything it is a definite skill and takes practice. The last thing a Mech wanted to hear was the snip of wire cutters when his installation job is being inspected by QA.

Outpost75
05-09-2018, 12:26 PM
Nicely done! You could work on my Trashauler anytime.

lightman
05-09-2018, 12:29 PM
A good safety wire job is a thing of beauty. It takes a bit of thought and skill. A bad job can be ugly and even dangerous. You posted some nice pictures of good examples!

Thumbcocker
05-09-2018, 01:07 PM
My former boss was a crew chief on F4's in Thailand during the Cambodian bombing years. He spoke about those pliers but I could never picture them. He had lots of stories but my favorite one involved having a cluster munitions unit break open on landing. He and several others were picking up bomblets off the runway. I asked him if he was worried and he said that the bomblets had to spin to arm so it was safe to pick them up. I asked him if the folks who told him how safe those bomblets were to pick up were out there with him or standing way back. He got a stricken look on his face and said "Now that I think about it they were waaay back."

Kraschenbirn
05-09-2018, 01:08 PM
Pics brought back memories of RVN; UH-1s were practically held together by safety wire.

Bill

corbinace
05-09-2018, 01:10 PM
One thing overlooked, is that for each wire diameter there is a specific number of twists per inch.

This is important to retain the strength of the safety wire and thus fastener security.

After a bit, you just kind of know what looks right for the different sizes, and do not have to count.

Thank you for the tutorial.

Omega
05-09-2018, 01:30 PM
I've had a set for years, first got them to make my own rigs:

We mainly used these for our crew-serve weapons, but they have other uses.

Reddirt62
05-09-2018, 01:46 PM
While I do not work on planes (much) I do work for an airline (FedEx) and use mine for many things including on-the-spot fuel line clamps. I have also used them to hang "no trespassing" signs on my fences. Excellent tool!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

fecmech
05-09-2018, 02:12 PM
I started work as an A&P in 1967 and never owned a pair of safety wire pliers. I started with ducks & dikes (duckbill pliers and diagonal cutters) and used them my whole career. For me it was quicker to twist by hand, particularly if the bolts were close together. Just a personal preference.

lancem
05-09-2018, 04:00 PM
Did a bunch of that long ago, sure don't miss getting stuck by the wire, especially the fine stuff. Heard a story once of a B-52 having some body work done in avionics section of the fuselage, seems they found hundreds of pounds of the stuff that had been cut off and tossed in the holes punched in the mounts in the EW area!

prestonj12
05-09-2018, 04:18 PM

I got to ride one f those last month. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180509/b04503e042196199f399c7dddb1f2614.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Minerat
05-09-2018, 04:33 PM
Yup, wish I had a set. We used them to keep.... bags or Ices closed, when I worked for Coca Cola special events in the 70"s. Wouldn't want that ice to escape now would we.:kidding:

What a great tool, I may get a pair before too long.

kens
05-09-2018, 05:33 PM
I started work as an A&P in 1967 and never owned a pair of safety wire pliers. I started with ducks & dikes (duckbill pliers and diagonal cutters) and used them my whole career. For me it was quicker to twist by hand, particularly if the bolts were close together. Just a personal preference.

Me too, I got a pair of wire pliers, but never use them, I prefer to twist by hand,
I would have to re-do all the above safeties, except for one.
Twisting safety wire is quickly becoming a thing of the past, now there is safety cable, and many QA departments are mandating it, sometimes it easier, sometimes hand twist is better.

Eddie17
05-09-2018, 05:50 PM
Had to safety wire MC while racing bikes during the mid to late 80s. Raced a Yahama FZ 750.

DocSavage
05-09-2018, 07:13 PM
I worked for General Electric aircraft division and remember those pliers well. They were used in the assembly area when I was in the tool crib. They were used to fasten done parts to fixtures that needed to be mig/tig weld.

JBinMN
05-09-2018, 08:10 PM
I still have 2 of the large & 1 of the small. All approx. 35+ years old I would reckon. Used them back when I was working on CH-46s. Still use them on occasion as well even now, but I also prefer to "hand twist". The pliers though, work real well in confined spaces where your hands can't get in there very easily...

Interesting subject & brought back some memories...
Thnx!
:)

Loudenboomer
05-09-2018, 09:04 PM
Harbor freight has safety wire pliers. I bought a pair a while back. Not near the quality as the pliers I used working for my uncle Sam.

CastingFool
05-09-2018, 09:39 PM
Worked on Chinooks and Hueys, never used the safety wire pliers while active duty. Wasn't until I joined the Army guard when I became acquainted with them. Quite a time saver.

Rcmaveric
05-10-2018, 03:33 AM
I used to work on that trash hauler and your ride (10 years ago). I have gone to other flying hunks of metal now. Not technical to allowed to use the pliiers on the .020 safety wire. Only on the .030 and larger. I am amazing at it at it now thanks to my jerk boss at the time. Some things you can even see it while you do it.

Idaho45guy
05-10-2018, 09:25 PM
Another former Naval Aviation guy here...

Hated safety wiring, but became well versed in it keeping a fleet of the oldest SH-3s in the fleet in service.

tinsnips
05-11-2018, 08:47 AM
My brother is a pro at safety wiring . He does it for a living on helicopters. It looks like a art forum to me.

Rcmaveric
05-12-2018, 01:15 AM
Good thing about it. Once you become good at it, then you will never forget it and it becomes super easy. LMAO we made a safety wire trainer and i can blow through it and i looks amazing. The new guys get all doe eyed and try it. They end up looking like a monkey trying to figure out a rubiks cube. Then i tell them we aren't maintainers, but artisans. Everything should look better than factory work once we are done with it.

Idaho45guy
05-12-2018, 12:51 PM
Pretty sure this entire thing was held together with safety wire...

Alstep
05-12-2018, 02:28 PM

Is that a C-119? Got a bunch of jumps outta them.

EDG
05-12-2018, 03:17 PM
I saw lots of safety wire holding Bell 47s, Hiller OH-13s and Hughes TH-55s together at Ft Wolters and nearby fields in the late 1960s. I think they must have had over 1000 helicopters total.

Mr_Sheesh
05-12-2018, 07:12 PM
As a passenger on various airchines - Better good safety wire than chewing gum and duct tape! Afraid my safety wiring skills are only up to "well, at least that won't unscrew itself" car quality.

bstone5
05-12-2018, 09:07 PM
Used the safety wire pliers a lot on offshore drilling machinery. When hoisting over 750,000 pounds all of the hoisting machinery needs to stay together. Common tool for offshore equipment assembly.

472x1B/A
05-12-2018, 10:24 PM
Guess my/our application in the Air Force, really wasn't for safety, but for security. ALL aircraft fuel servicing trucks/vehicles had lots of calibration security wires on pressure valves or meters heads. They had to be twisted tight and then sealed with lead smash seals the wires went through. Each mechanic had their own seal pliers and there was NO trading ever. Once your number went on that work order your fate was sealed. I had 191 the whole 20 years.

Idaho45guy
05-13-2018, 02:24 PM
Speaking of aviation tools, who else knows what these are?

My neighbor works for a company that converts radial engine crop dusters to turbo props. Said they are really hurting for mechanics. Asked me if I was interested in working for them as a tin bender. Told him I hadn't worked on a plane in over 20 years. He said it doesn't matter and is like riding a bike.

No thanks...

metricmonkeywrench
05-13-2018, 02:55 PM
Those are the proper pliers for crimping a lead seal on copper safety wire as descibrd by 472x above. Our normal use was on fire pull handles and valves.

Glad you are all enjoying the topic....

OTShooter
05-13-2018, 03:09 PM
I have a bit of experience with safety wire, mostly in preparation for avionics work I wound up not getting to do (longish story).

But my most vivid memory was being a “helper” while in training and actually getting to wire ONE connector on a black box after the “old guy” (a buck sergeant) had done everything else. It was cold, and this connector called for small diameter wire. Guess what happened! (Those with experience already know...)

Yep, I had at least three beautiful puncture wounds on my finger tips that I didn’t feel, and that didn’t bleed until after I started warming up. And of course THEN they hurt like crazy.

Idaho45guy
05-13-2018, 04:08 PM
Those are the proper pliers for crimping a lead seal on copper safety wire as descibrd by 472x above. Our normal use was on fire pull handles and valves.

Glad you are all enjoying the topic....

Nope. Can't believe I stumped you...

metricmonkeywrench
05-13-2018, 05:19 PM
Oops, didn't look close enough, they look like the pliers for the temporary rivet clips used to hold aircraft skin in place while the real rivets are put in. Not sure what the trade name of them are

Could be totally wrong...I was a Armored Vehicle guy.

2wheelDuke
05-13-2018, 05:48 PM
I'm another one that only knows safety wire from racing.

I don't think I can call myself an expert, but I got to where the tech guys were appreciative of my work for sure. Having a nice tidy job sure makes tech inspection go alot easier.

I haven't been able to afford racing in years now, but I'm still tempted to safety wire my drain plug, fill cap, and oil filter on the street bike every oil change.

Idaho45guy
05-13-2018, 06:49 PM
Oops, didn't look close enough, they look like the pliers for the temporary rivet clips used to hold aircraft skin in place while the real rivets are put in. Not sure what the trade name of them are

Could be totally wrong...I was a Armored Vehicle guy.

Cleco fasteners...

And after I got bored working on aircraft, I became a 12B in the Army; Combat Engineer. I drove the AVLBs and AVLMs based on the M60 chassis.

KenT7021
05-15-2018, 03:03 PM
When I was in Army Aviation we were not permitted to use safety wire pliers.Smooth jawed ducks were permitted and of course dikes to cut the wire.Mostly done by hand.Every mechanic was issued safety wire pliers.you just couldn't use them.It was possible to overstress the wire with the pliers.

Joby
05-15-2018, 04:34 PM
Cleco pliers. Use em almost every day. Or if working on Pilatus products they call them gripper pins. And those 1/8” size look shiny like new. No sealant or adhesive infected.

Dave18
05-16-2018, 03:25 PM
the cleco pliers had not seen since 72 when I worked at sea nymph boat company we used those fasteners by the hundreds, probably still have the pliers and some fasteners somewhere in one of my tool boxes,

and the safety wiring, learned on the old bultaco clutch baskets, all the bolts had to be safety wired or they backed out and ate through the side cases, but never got as good as some of the pics in this thread on getting the wire twisted so it looked nice, but I never had my wiring come off or break, on that spinning clutch basket, so guess I was doing something right back then,