PDA

View Full Version : First experiance with moly lube?

S.B.
09-12-2008, 08:10 AM
Has anyone here ever had a bullet stick in the sizing die with this stuff or had problems changing the dies to another caliber? In particular the black Lyman stuff. Lube seems hard to come by, recently around here and I used what I could find and get at the time.

Blammer
09-12-2008, 08:36 AM
I have used Lymans Black Moly lube and found it to work fine. Never had any difficulties with it.
Have not had any bullets stick in the sizing die or any problems changing dies.

Some one suggested that I make my own lube. I was imagining all the extra trouble and difficulty it was going to be. Eventually I tried it and it's about as simple as it can be. All I needed one one pot to melt the stuff in and the ingredients. Most of the ingredients were very easily obtained.

If lube is hard to come by you may want to consider it. Plus it's really cheap too.

S.B.
09-12-2008, 09:36 AM
Maybe it's the mixture of what was left in the resorvoir and the moly (chemical reaction) ? As I'm sure you know, you never use all the lube in a sizing machine.
I had to take my Lyman 450 sizer apart and drive the dies out with a wooden dowel after using a small LP torch to loosen the lube?

S.B.
10-10-2008, 08:28 AM
While going back to using my Lyman 450, I determind that the real culprit was a set of H&I dies (RCBS that were advertised as will work with the Lyman or RCBS sizing machines) I got off of fleabay. They're out of round and not square with the axis of their bore. I bought a new set of Lymans from MidwayUSA and the problems disappesred? Upon close inspection, these dies look home made(very rough machining?
I got in touch with Fleabay to try and determine who I bought these from but, they won't tell that stuff? Live and learn, I guess.

Hardcast416taylor
10-26-2008, 12:05 PM
"ANOTHER SATISFIED FLEABAY CUSTOMER"!!! YEAH< RIGHT>>>>> There should have been a address for the seller of the sizer both on the buy sheet and the package as a return address when you got it. My bad experience was buying 100 new `06 brass from a Canadian seller 4 years ago. I`m still waiting for the brass. Now I`m told Canadian and US customs differ on what to allow across the border. Lesson is, DON`T buy Canadian!:confused:

DLCTEX
10-26-2008, 12:29 PM
Yesterday I used a .244 die I bought on Ebay a couple years ago for the first time and found that the one set of lube holes were so low that I could only lube the bottom groove of the four on my boolit. I had to anneal the die to drill it, then spend two hours removing the burr inside the die, then retemper the die. It was listed as fitting Lyman and RCBS sizers, but was obviously shop made. DALE