PDA

View Full Version : lee slug results

waydownsouth
09-12-2008, 06:45 AM
here is a before and after picture of a lee one ounce slug i tested on a cow

the cow was already dead but still warm (died giving birth)

i shot from about 20 paces and the slug entered just behind the sholder into the ribcage missed the ribs but caused a huge amount of tissue damage
sorry no photos didnt have a camera with me at the time

the slug was cast from sheet lead the type used for flashing roofs (near pure lead) ?

missionary5155
09-12-2008, 09:39 AM
Thatīs a nice mushroom ! But what would happen if it hit a BIG bone ? Soft lead is OK on SOFT flesh.. The real test is HARD stuff like Pig Grissle... shoulder blades... hip joints... Crocadile neck armor.. If you ever NEED to penetrate that stuff you better have a stiffer boolit in the bore.

waydownsouth
09-12-2008, 07:23 PM
the slug mushroomed to 1 1/4 inch penetrated about 2 1/2 foot and retained all its weight in an animal about 3 times bigger than any wild animal i am likely to see in the bush

fallow deer, kangaroo, and goats are all we have here so pure lead suits my needs

i have not tested the slugs in the field yet. still have to mount the scope which means making a mount from scrach

Lucky Joe
09-12-2008, 08:50 PM
IMO it will work.

longbow
09-13-2008, 01:12 AM
Are you shooting rifled or smoothbore?

Longbow

waydownsouth
09-13-2008, 08:59 PM
Are you shooting rifled or smoothbore?

Longbow

its a bolt action smooth bore with an adjustable choke on the end so i was able to adjust the choke to suit the slugs
i tightened the choke up till it started kicking to much and then backed it of a bit and marked it.
from 50 paces free hand with only the front bead i can hit a 44 gal drum lid 9 out of 10 times
still undecided weather to put a scope on it or open sight of some sort

longbow
09-14-2008, 12:47 AM
I'm not sure what the accuracy potential is for the Lee Drive Key slug from a smoothbore but if you add rifle sights or scope and make sure the slug/shotcup combination is a snug fit to the bore (I mean not easy to push through) you should be measuring your groups in inches at 50 yards.

I'm not real fond of Foster slugs and generally have gotten poor accuracy but some factory rounds have done well and I just shot some Rapine Fosters that did very well putting 4 into just over 2" at 50 yards with one flier out by about 1" so not too bad and certainly hunting accuracy. This is from smoothbore with rifle sights.

I think if you get a good snug fit and some decent sights you will be good to go.

Longbow

waydownsouth
09-14-2008, 08:02 AM
well thats the plan as long as i can hit a deer out to about 75 yards ill be happy

I started down this road when a shooting buddy traded in his 243 for a 300 win mag because he reconed 243 was to underpowered for fallow deer. told him next season ill shoot a deer with a 12 ga and its not a bet im planing to loose.

im not sure if it is legal to use slugs here and have not heard of any one using slugs in the field before

longbow
09-14-2008, 12:19 PM
Like I said, I am not sure of the accuracy potential of the Lee Drive Key slug from a smoothbore. You would need 8" or less at your max. shooting distance.

You might do a search on this site and shotgunworld.com ot other shotgun site with slug info to see if anyone has published results.

Longbow

bobk
09-14-2008, 03:42 PM
longbow,
Another potential problem is wond drift. We're pushing boolits with poor ballistic coefficients at the worst possible velocity. That's why when PA muzzleloader was round ball only, I passed. A 10 MPH wind will blow a roundball right out of the kill zone at 100 yards, assuming a perfect hold (which is not a reasonable assumption for my shooting).
Bob K

missionary5155
09-14-2008, 05:21 PM
bobk Wind drift is what hunters have dealt with since slinging spears... You practice at your hunting ranges and learn what to do under your hunting conditions. I hunted for yeras with 58 round ball (Illinios / Indiana) and yes the cross wind on open fields can be a hazzard. But that is part of what RB hunting is about. Challenges make a succesful hunt that much more rewarding. And if you think a 10 MPH wind is tough on RB... take up recurve bow ... But the challenge is what to me hunting is about.