PDA

View Full Version : 357 Max Brings Home The Bacon

JohnH
11-26-2005, 11:29 PM
Well, the deer roast anyway. Thought I'd ruined my luck as when I stepped into the woods from road, a deer ran off ahead of me. Rats I thought, but I went on slowly to my stand and after sitting there for about 30 minutes, a deer comes from the same direction the one I spooked left toward. Could this be the same animal??? I'll never know, but so often I've heard other hunters say that after being quite a while after spooking a one, deer return to the area. There's definately something to that.

But in the heat of the moment I wasn't thinking of all that, I was looking for a brake in the trees to poke a bullet through, and sure enough, the spike stepped into one and I sent the RCBS 35-200 on it's way. (I thought it was a doe at the time) I don't think I've ever seen a deer react to being hit in the chest, but this one sure did. Arched that back up and took off, fell, scrambled back to it's feet and hobbled off. Shot was from 30-35 yards, he ran 30 or so from where he was hit and dropped. Bullet entered just in front of his front leg and exited just behind the off side elbow. Left a blood trail a blindman could follow, squirting it out both sides. He didn't take a step that blood didn't hit the ground.

Entrance wound was bullet size, exit was about 1", exellent performance. Load was 21.5 grains of 4198, based on chronograph work I've done with Reloder 7 velocity is circa 1700 fps. Bullet alloy is 1 to 1 WW and 20:1, makes 10 BHN. That's 2 for cast bullets this year.

TCLouis
11-26-2005, 11:45 PM
Is that rifle or pistol barrel?
If it is a pistol, 14"??

JohnH
11-27-2005, 12:33 AM
Sorry 'bout that, it is a rifle barrel, 22".

swheeler
11-27-2005, 12:59 AM
Good shootin' John- congrats!

JDL
11-27-2005, 09:47 AM
Good going! I have shot that boolit a lot but, never have taken game with it. -JDL

9.3X62AL
11-27-2005, 11:58 AM
Venison in the freezer is the best indicator of boolit performance, for sure. Well done, sir!

Nrut
11-27-2005, 11:49 PM
Good going John....that bullet was very accurate in my 10" Contener .357 max. years ago when shooting silly-wets...never got a change to connect with game like you did...mic

Leftoverdj
11-28-2005, 02:27 PM
Good going, John.

I love getting shooting reports on the Max.

JohnH
11-28-2005, 11:04 PM
Good going, John.

I love getting shooting reports on the Max.

DJ, I'm sure you remember my report of the first deer I shot with this rifle. Outstanding performance that day, and just as outstanding Saturday. I'm willing to bet that the 357 Maximum is one of the best kept secrets in the firearms industry. So long as brass remains available it is fine with me if it remains so. I love the looks when folks ask what the deer was shot with...."A What??????" :) :) :) Even more amazing is what happens when you pull a case out of your pocket!!!!!!

buck1
11-29-2005, 12:13 AM
Great job John!!!
Its good to see that 357 max BBL came arround with the CBS!!.........Buck