PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on my retirement

waksupi
05-07-2018, 11:16 AM
Now that I am more or less retired, it just struck me.

I've managed to do just about everything I have ever wanted to do and more. I've had adventures few can even imagine, by myself, and with some of the finest people in the world.

I've been successful in the professions I chose.

I've had exceptional mentors, great friends, and some wonderful enemies.

I've created hundreds of works of art in various mediums, that with any care by the owners should last hundreds of years.

I guess the point of this is, I feel sorry for the poor people who got locked into a way of life that is not satisfying for them, and they live a life of quiet desperation. There is no joy in their work. There is no challenge. Just go to work day after day, doing the same thing over and over again, and looking for that day when they can finally stop.

Thank God I read Thoreau when I was still in my teens, and paid attention to what he had written.

RED BEAR
05-07-2018, 11:27 AM
good on you sounds like you've had a heck of a time. i can agree with you on most things married my best friend 40+ years ago have also had some great adventures. but draw the line at work it was tolerable but a nessary evil so l could do what i really wanted to do. although being a machinest in small job shop i was able to work on my guns .and have some pretty nice ones to leave the kids. but all in all have had a heck of a life. sounds like you did to.

Handloader109
05-07-2018, 02:03 PM
In my last position as manager, I was able to tell all of my employees and a lot of others to find something that they love and are passionate about as their career. Way less stress and way more fun.
I enjoyed my position a lot, but things were changing to make things way less enjoyable for me. I was shown the door, at the right time. Btw, my brother had one long career as mechanic/general flunky for a large corp. Over the past 10-15 years they were bought and sold several times, each with a reduction in the number of employees at each location and more work and stress for the remainders. They eliminated his position three months ago. He went to the doctor for a checkup and the dr questioned him pretty severely as to what had changed in his life.... Blood pressure had severely been REDUCED.
No stress from job......
It makes a difference.

Tatume
05-07-2018, 02:17 PM
I'm only 65 with no plans to retire. If I did retire, I'd just come back and work as an adjunct for a small fraction of the pay.

Wayne Smith
05-07-2018, 02:56 PM
Soo - What are you going to do in your retirement?

hanleyfan
05-07-2018, 03:01 PM
I enjoyed my work I chose when I was young but as the years went by the industry changed and so did my profession, they down sized and pushed for more productively out of those that were left and over all made a enjoyable job into hell. by the time I was 60 I was counting the days I could retire from the mad house I was stuck in. I thank God everyday I finally got out of the hell hole. My Dad had the same thing happen to him, He was a manager of the service department and the last 10 years before He retired they made His life a living Hell. The problem is not the job but the companies that make the job unbearable.

MrWolf
05-07-2018, 03:30 PM
I was retired last year at the age of 57. Got hurt at work which also cost me a marriage. Luckily kids are both grown. If not for constant pain, it would be great but I consider myself still lucky as I can manage an hour or so of somewhat productivity. Good luck.

waksupi
05-07-2018, 03:46 PM
I didn't really want to retire. Health problems and old injuries have caught up on me, so had to go on Social Security. So, I
am still building guns, knives, and powder horns, just at a much slower pace, as I can only stand on my feet a couple hours a day now. That makes for pretty short days in the shop.

375supermag
05-07-2018, 03:46 PM
Hi...
Just signed up for Social Security today.
Retirement should become effective the 1st of July. A few more weeks of work and then about 13 days of vacation and then I am out of there.
Happy as can be...wife is thrilled.
Some projects around the house to kepme occupied through the summer.
Reloading supplies are stocked up...enough for several years and several new firearms to test out at the gun club.
Glad to be just about finished with working.

Shopdog
05-07-2018, 04:04 PM
Keep "thinking" about it....

May work for you,may not?I first retired about 10-12 years ago.Lasted 5 minutes,got bored... went back to work. Then 5 or so years after that,tried again..... lasted a year,went back to work.And so on,so forth.Once everything is straight round home,what is it you need to accomplish?
I'm tentatively on the 4rth try,really don't care whether it "sticks" or not anymore.

Elkins45
05-07-2018, 04:25 PM
I retired in November, and I pretty much feel like you. I wasn't planning on going just yet, but my boss retired because they were threatening to screw up our retirement, and she made a good case that I should cash out before I lost all my accumulated sick time. I'm fortunate that I went out at the top of my game, and after sitting out a few (required) months I have gone back to work for a contractor doing similar work just to help out.

I consider myself as one of the most fortunate people I know, and I try really hard not to take any of my good fortune for granted.

bullet maker 57
05-07-2018, 04:28 PM
I retired a year ago. The most liberating thing I have ever done. The job I left started out as a fantastic job. Got to go to some pretty interesting places. Work on some interesting pieces of equipment. As the years rolled on the upper management made the job almost unbearable. Left 1 week after my 62nd birthday. I don't miss work at all. I am busier now than when I was working. Retirement works for me.

Parson
05-07-2018, 07:11 PM
76, still full time, no desire to retire, can’t afford it, this squirrel didn’t put enough nuts away, but I do get tired

FISH4BUGS
05-07-2018, 07:33 PM
RETIRMENT? What the heck is that? I will be 70 in July. I have been self employed for 35 years selling software to lawyers and training and consulting on the software. I live out in the rural part of NH, and work mostly from home.
I can punch out at 5 and be in the casting shed/garden/yard at 5:05.
I look out at a former dairy farm about 1/4 mile away over about 200 acres of hay field. Turkeys by the dozens, more deer than you can shake a stick at, a mountain lion, moose, bear, and all kinds of other wildlife.
I am one lucky guy. Retirement is not even on my radar.

jimlj
05-07-2018, 09:02 PM
Retired 3 years ago at 57 due to eye problems. I worked for a great company for 32 years. I loved my job up to a few years before I retired, and went out still liking what I did. As one of the owners I had enough company stock that if I'm not careless the money will out last me and the kids will have to fight over it.

GhostHawk
05-07-2018, 09:11 PM
There are many ways to define success. From what I see yours fits you.

I know I define it differently than the rest of my family does.
Been interesting watching my wife the last 10 days since she retired.

pcolapaddler
05-07-2018, 09:44 PM
I'm in what is called DROP, an option for Florida employees where they retire but continue working while retirement income accumulates.

I will have to leave completely in 2020, but can cash in at any time.

Would like to go, but still need insurance. That and timing is not good for our business right now.

Sent from an unnamed device running an undisclosed OS via a third party application.

popper
05-07-2018, 10:40 PM
Once retired you will find that spare time depends on who defines it. Enjoy.

Idaho Mule
05-07-2018, 10:50 PM
Good on ya, waksupi!!!, I am happy for you. Not happy about the health and old injury problems, but happy you can slow down and reflect so positively. I am close behind you, maybe another year and maybe not, depends on how things go. I may end up working in Libby area this summer, if I do I will try to catch up with you. JW

Goatwhiskers
05-07-2018, 10:56 PM
Retirement = your "golden years." Told a fella the only gold I'm aware of is all the money that's being shelled out to pay the darn doctors you start going to see after you retire. Really though, I'm not complaining even tho I lost my wife back in February and have developed health problems that restrict my activities, I am still moving, I have 2 great kids and 2 grandsons, my retirement income and insurance from the Post Office cover all my needs, in short I am well blessed and give thanks every day. Have a blessed one! GW

Petrol & Powder
05-07-2018, 11:10 PM
The last thing I want is to be lying on my death bed wishing I had done something that I didn't try. So far, I've been fairly successful balancing life vs. living.
I'm not even close to being rich and due to a lack of money, I've had to put off some things until I had the funds. I've made a few mistakes, but no insurmountable ones. I've managed to gather some incredible experience along the way and even with the mistakes, I made it work.
I've met a lot of people: some evil, most average and a few outstanding. I learned from all of them.
I don't have many friends but the ones I have I would die for and they would die for me.

Life is interesting and there's no road map for it.

tinsnips
05-07-2018, 11:15 PM
I always get excited when someone can retire. Good for you! My buddy who is retired says the only days that go by slow are the ones when you are doing something you don't want to. He loves retirement.Have fun everyday.

bangerjim
05-07-2018, 11:35 PM
What.....me retire?????????? NOT. I drive on my tires until I see steel showing thru......then mabe I think of re-tire-ing! HA.....ha!

“God put me on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things. Right now, I am so far behind.......I will NEVER die!”

I have a birthday on 5-9 and look at it as just another day on the calendar. But I expect VERY expensive presents from my sons!!!!!!!!!

Banger

Mtnfolk75
05-08-2018, 12:32 AM
The last thing I want is to be lying on my death bed wishing I had done something that I didn't try. So far, I've been fairly successful balancing life vs. living.
I'm not even close to being rich and due to a lack of money, I've had to put off some things until I had the funds. I've made a few mistakes, but no insurmountable ones. I've managed to gather some incredible experience along the way and even with the mistakes, I made it work.
I've met a lot of people: some evil, most average and a few outstanding. I learned from all of them.
I don't have many friends but the ones I have I would die for and they would die for me.

Life is interesting and there's no road map for it.

My Life described to a T, we are Lucky SOB's for sure :drinks:

lightman
05-08-2018, 08:12 AM
Congratulations Waksupi! I like the attitude that you have in looking at life. I retired about 3 years ago after being an electrical lineman for nearly 35 years. I enjoyed it up until the very last few years. About the time that my health started making it hard to do my job the company started reducing the work force and everyone was worked so much that you could not get any help if you needed it. My pension allows us to have a decent life and our savings are there if needed. I have retired friends that hated their jobs and even their coworkers and won't even talk about their jobs! I really can't imagine that as I don't think I could have done my job if I hated it. I treated every late night callout as an adventure! I looked forward to going to work everyday.

fivegunner
05-08-2018, 08:22 AM
Congratulations Waksupi! . I retired 9/16. just figuring out things .I have so much to do, Enjoy!!

mold maker
05-08-2018, 08:52 AM
I didn't choose to retire, but rather china took my job after almost 40 years. At 64 1/2, I was allowed to explore 3 places a week to seek a nonexistent job.
There were dozens of young folks looking in an ever-shrinking (2007) job market. I constantly drove over a 50-mile radius, burning gas and filling out applications, for absolutely no positive results.
Thank goodness unemployment covered my bills until my 65 BD, and I retired in peace.
Life since has been more hectic than a routine of employment, but the last 11+ years have been totally enjoyable. With the exception of the increasing number of Dr. visits and the added responsibilites of getting 4 Grankids to and from 4 different schools, and extracricular activites, its just doing what-ever and when I please. It's what you make of it. If you've got your head screwed on wrong, you'll be seriously :( dissappointed. If your a realist, life will hold many pleasent surprises. 8-)

Thumbcocker
05-08-2018, 09:27 AM
I have 29 years in a career that has been interesting and challenging and once in a while made a difference. I plan to retire in 2020. My career is not something that was my first choice but is a compromise. I am pretty good at it and try to give my boss (the taxpayers) their moneys worth. Mrs. Thumbcocker and I have 56 acres with deer, turkeys, woods, and scenery. We garden and hunt and have good enough equipment that we don't have to kill ourselves to do projects. We plan to buy a Casita trailer and see some country but come back to home base. Mrs. Thumbcocker is a fascinating person with a great mind and always has my back. We have seen the darkness together and come out the other side closer than before.

Congratulations Waksipi on years well lived and more to come. I would recommend that you record or write some of your experiences to share with those you choose. We are all only here for a while and learning from the experiences of others is priceless and darned interesting.

DocSavage
05-09-2018, 07:24 PM
I retired the end of 2010 at 60 and glad I did,watched to many guys wait to 62 maybe 65 and a year or two later drop dead from a heart attack or some form of cancer.
Between my wife,elderly mother and stuff I do I keep busy. I do try to keep 1 day for me and that's usually Wednesday that's my movie day,2 -3 hrs where I shut my brain off and relax

marlin39a
05-09-2018, 08:35 PM
I’m out at just under 62. I have bills under control, and plenty to do. Income is there. My time to live.

woodbutcher
05-09-2018, 09:16 PM
:grin: Hi waksupi.Outstanding Sir.Wishing you the best for a great retirement.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

facetious
05-10-2018, 03:02 AM
About 20 months to go. On Dec. 3 2019 I will have been working in printing plants mostly printing news papers for 40 years. Things in the news paper industry have been heading south for the last few years and I think I have had enough. The wife wants me to go at 62, I will be 61 this summer.

Southern Son
05-10-2018, 04:11 AM
When I retire is going to be easy to decide, I cannot access my pension until I'm 60, and legislation states that my employer will sack me when I turn 60. Eleven years and seven months to go, but whos counting?

richhodg66
05-10-2018, 06:54 AM
I retired from the Army at age 46 after 24 years and we owned a payed for, but fixer upper house which we probably could have lived on just military pension if careful. Military retirees that do that tend to die real young it seems. So I started teaching JROTC and it's a lot of fun and I enjoy it most of the time. The little knuckle heads get to me sometimes but the good ones make up for it pretty fast and most of them are somewhere in the middle which, of course, are probably the ones you make the most difference with in a job like this.

I'm 52 now and need to do some heavy thinking and figuring for what I want to do, but retiring for good is looking real attractive when I can do it. I have my own place in the country now which means I'll need to make a mortgage payment for a long time but it gives me the ability to shoot and other stuff I like to do whenever I have time.

DocSavage
05-10-2018, 07:56 AM
There is one thing I'll add here and some of the retirees will recognize this statement "you're retired you got all kinds of time". I don't know how I got anything done working 8 and sometimes 12 hours a day.

mold maker
05-10-2018, 08:54 AM
/\ /\ /\ /\ Aman to that! Where does all that extra time go?

AK Caster
05-10-2018, 09:04 AM
Been retired for awhile, same for the wife. There is so much to do around the home site I could not imagine ever having a paid job again.

waksupi
05-10-2018, 10:07 AM
Been retired for awhile, same for the wife. There is so much to do around the home site I could not imagine ever having a paid job again.

It seems I'm still as busy as before I officially "retired". Orders for knives have been crazy, plus I have guns to build. I just do it at a much slower pace.

MT Gianni
05-11-2018, 02:51 PM
That's me, I retired and then hurt my foot. i get about 1/2 done in a day compared to what I did previously but I answer to me and my wife so it's all good.

GOPHER SLAYER
05-11-2018, 04:19 PM
It is difficult to believe that I have been retired for twenty five years. I had a great job but the times they were a changing. I saw bad times ahead. Hey, I found metaphors in two songs. I worked for the phone company installing telephone equipment in central offices or in private businesses. I never installed a phone or climbed a pole. I worked in every kind of business there is. There are some really bad jobs out there. I was working in a business that made sporting goods like golf clubs and baseball bats. I watched a man operate a machine that put steps in golf club handles. He would put a steel tube in the machine and step on a foot pedal and the machine would press steps in the shaft. All the time he was working his hands were being sprayed with water soluble oil. This was done to keep the press head cool. When he finished one large rolling rack full of steel shafts, they would take it away a bring him another rack. His was not the worst job I saw. One fellow I saw had the job of cleaning out the fire bricks in huge kiln in a foundry so the brick mason could install a new lining of fire bricks. He was covered in soot and crud from head to toe. I hate to think what his lungs looked like. I was working in a defense plant from time to time and on the way to the rest room one day I watched a man in a machine shop operating a huge press. He said it was a 200 hundred ton press. I asked how long he had been working on it and he said since 1941. It was in the early '60s at that time. Talk about getting bored. Along with good pay we got four weeks vacation after twenty years and five weeks after twenty five. I worked on the phone system in a mental institution for a few months. I could write a book about that place. I was 58 when I retired, I would have liked to work a few years longer but as I said the future did not look bright and as it turned out it wasn't.

FISH4BUGS
05-15-2018, 01:36 PM
Semi retired to me means working only 40 hours a week!
After 35 years of self employment, that is what i will call retirement.

BrassMagnet
01-26-2019, 09:59 PM
We plan to buy a Casita trailer and see some country but come back to home base.

My Casita trailer is fourteen years old now. What a great little travel trailer.

I retired from the Navy at 37 with a boat load of credit card debt. It sure felt like unemployment without any benefits.
That was long ago and I found no one wanted to hire a high school dropout. So I went to college while looking for a good job.

I did find one and it was just after I got my AAS degree and started on a BA degree. I couldn't keep up with both, so I dropped out. I'm just a higher level dropout now.

I retire at the end of this month at age 62 with 20 years of service and a second small pension. I wanted a better plan the second time around. Now I'm married and debt free. I won't stay debt free because we are moving, but at least we are starting from a better place. I will not start social security any time soon. Being retired military and a disabled veteran gives me two choices of medical care.

I don't expect to look for another job, but my resume needs only one line added to apply for my third career. A backup plan is always good.

Taylor
01-27-2019, 08:05 AM
"He who travels alone may start today. But he who travels with another, must wait 'til the other is ready" or words to that effect.

Me too, been around the world 3 times. Carried a rifle in to 2 countries. No regrets. Only thing....maybe....my family are coal miners...not me, never did it. I like me retirement.

jmort
01-27-2019, 08:52 AM
Great thread
2.5 years to go
Life goes by so fast
Being self-employed for 30 plus years has been interesting
I want to shift gears
A small travel trailer and the home-base sounds real good

BrassMagnet
01-27-2019, 11:57 AM
A small travel trailer and the home-base sounds real good

My personal opinion is the Casita is the best out there for small trailers.
It looks like two fiberglass boat hulls glued together so no siding coming loose and no need to re-caulk the roof every year or two to prevent leaks.
They are factory direct so no dealers, no used Casitas at dealers, and every one is built to order. They hold value well. Made in Rice, TX.

trebor44
01-27-2019, 02:09 PM
It looks like two fiberglass boat hulls glued together so no siding coming loose and no need to re-caulk the roof every year or two to prevent leaks.
They are factory direct so no dealers, no used Casitas at dealers, and every one is built to order. They hold value well. Made in Rice, TX.

It is rare to find a used one for sale. It has been my desire to own one for many, many years. I missed out when U-Haul got rid of their small travel trailers. However, I don't have any desire to haul one around and the wife sees it as 'extra housekeeping'. And motels have been working for us for the places we visit since tent camping is no longer and attractive option (gotta like those in close bathrooms).

All of my retirement projects are still waiting to be started, I think I work more now than when I was getting paid for it. But I do enjoy having my own schedule to go by. It is nice to no longer be part of the herd rushing down (now crawling) the road to the place of employment. Retirement is not for the faint of heart!

beemer
01-27-2019, 02:22 PM
I retired about two years ago, love it. I have picked up on my shooting and casting since I retired. I also like to do a little woodworking, I've been turning out walking canes and tinkering with a few game calls for the last while. I have made a few dulcimers over the years and plan on a few more. My next project will probably be another long rifle, I've haven't done one in several years. I have a small jammed up workshop that suits me just fine. There is always something to tinker with, I think that's what keeps us going. You set down you are done.

mozeppa
01-27-2019, 03:12 PM
i worked hard for 43 years at mediocre pay ...now that i'm retired, i work harder but without the pay.

jmort
01-27-2019, 03:46 PM

Completely agree

shooter93
01-27-2019, 07:57 PM
Retirement has always scared me worse than death. After over 50 years working I can't see myself every quitting. I like to think the best day of my life hasn't happened yet.

375supermag
01-27-2019, 10:04 PM
Hi...
Retired last June at age 63.
Best decision ever...
Don't miss the job one bit.
Much happier be a stay at home husband and raising two Labrador Retrievers.
Did a lot of home improvement projects, spent a good bit of time hunting and shooting and just enjoying myself since retirement.
I highly recommend it.

fatelk
01-27-2019, 10:52 PM
Retirement...dang. I've got a couple decades to go myself. I'd like to start planning for it but we started a family a bit late so I've got kids to raise in the meantime. My retirement planning at this point is to work until I die. :)

wildwilly
01-28-2019, 04:23 AM
I've been retired for 16 yrs. For 45 yrs. I worked shift...mostly swings and mids. I'm still trying to get more than 5 hrs. sleep per night. Best job I ever had....paid for flying. I don't miss it at all.

Rich/WIS
01-28-2019, 10:38 AM
Retired in 1992 after 20 years in the Army, then a series of jobs, mostly as a locator for utility service companies. Retired again at 62 in the fall of 2012. I had considered working longer but a few months before my BIL died from a stroke, he was six months older than me. Remember the feeling, getting up and happily saying "I don't have a thing to do". Come spring remember getting up and saying "Oh s###, I don't have anything to do". Went back part time. In January 2014 convinced the wife to retire, in February she was diagnosed with cancer and lost her that August. I had stopped working after her diagnosis to care for her and afterward had no desire to back to work. In July decided I was tired of long cold winters, gave the house to my younger son and his family and moved to SE Kentucky. Bought a nice house on 4 acres with a one acre pond adjoining the Daniel Boone National Forest. My older son and his family are a couple hours away and visit once a month and my granddaughter spends the nice days fishing. Joined the local shooting club and have access to a decent range and plan on being here as long as my health allows. My only regret is my wife is not here to enjoy it too.

MrWolf
01-28-2019, 10:45 AM
Time does go fast. Bought my place two years ago last week. I have so many projects still to do and things I want done. Plus started dating after four years and I think I may have found a keeper. I love my life now and hope when the floor drops out it isn't to bad

mold maker
01-28-2019, 12:06 PM
I was gifted, after 39 years, with forced retirement. At 64.5 I had no plans and spent a fortune chasing non existent employment.
That was 2007 and now I'm nowhere near catching up with projects. I guess there is always a financial factor but I find that within a reasonable budget most things are in reach.
My limiting factor is time. There are so many things that take more time than expected, and because I can, I spend more time making sure everything is done exactly.
Now health demands that I pick projects that can be done in segments, between Dr visits for myself and rest of the family. Being the only one not regularly employed or in school, I'm the designated 3 family driver, shoppier, and handyman.
Current health problems have me sidelined, and suddenly they realize the burden I was taking from everyone.
I think I may be perminately retired without the typical gold watch, since time has almost no relevance.
Many here berate TV as worthless poo. For the most part, they are correct, but if one searches, much good programing is still available. I've never been a sports nut and game shows are the pits. Sooooooooaps need to be washed off TV, and talk shows are becoming political hacks. I get my drama fix from Discovery and History channels. If you look hard there are the reruns of the real comedy shows from the past.
Retirement will be whatever you make of it. Where getting from A to B fast was all important before, now whats between, is the adventure you missed. Make more out of less by slowing down to appreciate the roses. Even the thorns have a lesson in experience that haste makes just an unpleasant PIA.
When you make pleasant memories along the way, the trip lasts forever.

Markopolo
01-28-2019, 01:17 PM
I retired about 5 years ago, and have found that I am still just as busy now. I figured that I could run for the board of directors in our small village, which I am now president, started doing computer stuff and singing at church, and now am worship leader. I can’t tell you how many “Hats” I have accumulated sense retirement. I keep thinking I am gunna get a chance to pour my cup out and pass down, but the more I pour out the faster it refills... and I kinda Like it!!!!

Marko

jsizemore
01-28-2019, 08:09 PM
I guess you need to retire if you don't enjoy what your doing. I'm having a good time and have something to keep me interested usually a little different each day. Can't figure why I'd want to stop doing it.

My sister retired from the government. Retired as soon as she was eligible. She's still complaining. Now she has all day to focus on it in her retirement.

woodbutcher
01-29-2019, 12:23 PM
[smilie=s: Hi mold maker.Might try the AHC channel.They have some pretty good shows on there about the Civil War and the Revolutionary War.They are both 6 part programs that are from the History Channel.Charles Kuralt narrates the Revolutionary War series.And I agree.Most of the stuff on TV pretty much sucks.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

fatelk
01-29-2019, 11:27 PM
I guess you need to retire if you don't enjoy what your doing. I'm having a good time and have something to keep me interested usually a little different each day. Can't figure why I'd want to stop doing it.

My sister retired from the government. Retired as soon as she was eligible. She's still complaining. Now she has all day to focus on it in her retirement.

You are truly blessed if you enjoy your work enough that you would keep at it without the necessity of a paycheck. :)

I have to be honest; I like my job, for the most part, and generally enjoy what I do, but if a large amount of money fell out of the sky, I would quit in a heartbeat. Not because I hate my job, but because there are a lot of other things I would rather be doing, such as spending a lot more time with my kids. It's scary how fast they grow up. My two oldest are now teenagers. How did that happen? It seems like not long ago at all that we were bringing our first little baby home from the hospital, and now she's nearly old enough to drive. I just have this feeling that I'm going to blink my eyes twice and they're all going to out on their own, with their own lives, careers, and families.

MaLar
01-30-2019, 12:51 AM
Two years and three months left. After the week I've had not soon enough.

Huskerguy
01-30-2019, 09:42 AM
Congratulations on all of the lives well lived.

I turn 65 this Sunday. I have been in education for 35 years as a teacher/administrator at both the secondary and post-secondary levels. Five years ago I was the administrator of a private Christian school and contracted my second lung disease. The prognosis wasn't great and it zapped all my energy. I decided it was time to retire. Then I responded to a old drug that no one uses anymore and I started to get my energy back but still no where close to normal. Some parents asked me to help them start a new Classical Christian School and I did but with the understanding that after it was going well I would be gone. In a year it was running like a well oiled machine so I retired again. Just as I was leaving that, a parent who was on the board of a local non-profit called and asked for my administrative assistance. That lasted 9 months and they asked me to stay on but I declined. That was two years ago in July and when my wife went back to work in a school in August, I got very antsy. It lasted about 5 days and I thought I would do a little subbing. The district knows me and called me and now I work with special education students providing assistive technology to make their lives better. It hardly pays anything but that isn't important anymore. I get to make an impact on the lives of many students who will never remember me or even know who I am. Now I contemplating another year of this while my wife plans to exit in another year as well so we could go out at the same time. I do find as I get older, my patience with some adult attitudes is not what it used to be! :) I have no time for stupidity. I still love kids and want to help them even though there are days when I wonder what I am thinking and could be doing whatever I want to do. Sometimes it isn't about us, its about those we are put on this earth to serve. I try to go to the gym at least 4 times a week, lift and work out so overall in good health considering two major lung diseases but the reality is non of us knows our appointed day. Blessings to all of you who have figured it out.

KCSO
01-30-2019, 11:34 AM
Retired Re Tired twice as tired as you were before. Now you can really get busy!

bbs70
01-30-2019, 07:00 PM
Retired at 69, 2 yrs ago
Got bored to death
Nice to have the time, but after working 52 years its hard for me to relax and enjoy.
Once in a while in the summer, it is nice to sit under the tree with wifey drink iced tea and watch the grass grow.
I still cast & shoot my guns, but a year ago I had to work on my lawn mower and enjoyed it.
Now I have several riders and about 20 engines sitting here waiting for spring to be worked on.
All mine, so I can work on them at my leisure.
Want to make Mow karts out of most of them and maybe a Briggs powered dragster just for giggles
234945 234946 234948

mold maker
01-31-2019, 09:22 AM
If financially able, and hobbies delayed, retire asap. Every day spent working is a day of pleasure lost.
Don't expect to live on less. The only savings will be travel expenses, to and from work.
If not prepared for time on your hands, plan ahead with retirement in mind.
On the other hand if you have a job you really enjoy, and no hobbies, work on as long as you're able.

MrWolf
01-31-2019, 10:41 AM
I think the hardest thing for me was to learn that I could do it tomorrow. Took me about a year out here to finally grasp that concept and everything is so much nicer now. Divorce will be finalized this year so nobody to complain you didn't finish this or that. I have so many projects and things to do I can keep busy for years. Dating now and life is good. I have noticed that some folks can get real jealous when you are retired and they aren't. Just met a really great woman. Cross fingers for me as I think she is a keeper.

Smoke4320
01-31-2019, 10:48 AM
I am about 1.5 years away ..Hoping the health will hold up for me to enjoy some time !!

BrassMagnet
02-02-2019, 10:26 AM
Retired now.
WooHoo!!!!

jmort
02-02-2019, 10:49 AM
Brass Magnet has left the building.
Congratulations

lightman
02-02-2019, 11:11 AM
Congratulations to all of you guys that are retired. I hope you have a long and enjoyable one. I've been retired for 3-1/2 years. Me and Mama get to travel some. We make most of the Grandchildrens ball games and gymnastics meets. I reload, cast and shoot about as much as I want. If I want to go to Deer camp a week before the season opens or stay a week after it closes, I can.

But the best part! I'm home at night when its storming and the wind chill is dangerously low vs being out in it! Strangely enough I do miss it a little.

Butchman205
02-02-2019, 12:13 PM
Congrats to all of you who retired, and those that can’t...hang in there.

There’s a HUGE push in the foundries world to try and retain more of the “knowledge” that’s leaving the industry every time one of you retires. Virtual reality programs, and “mixed reality” viewers are the new thing. With the goggles on, you can walk through a plant, see what info you guys gave them, in relation to machines, equipment, and processes.

shdwlkr
02-02-2019, 12:36 PM
Well I retired from my job with a state government as a civil engineer 15 years ago. Best decision I made except for the reduced funds to live on. A few years ago went back to college and got my masters degree and thought of this as a new career, then life got in the way, old injuries and a car wreck changed that so I am still retired, with a huge student loan and have accepted that for me new employment just might not be there. So I have looked at what is fun and do that. Oh one thing that is nice in retirement I get to get up and go to bed when I feel like it and no one can tell me I am late.

mattw
02-06-2019, 10:14 AM
Retired at 69, 2 yrs ago
Got bored to death
Nice to have the time, but after working 52 years its hard for me to relax and enjoy.
Once in a while in the summer, it is nice to sit under the tree with wifey drink iced tea and watch the grass grow.
I still cast & shoot my guns, but a year ago I had to work on my lawn mower and enjoyed it.
Now I have several riders and about 20 engines sitting here waiting for spring to be worked on.
All mine, so I can work on them at my leisure.
Want to make Mow karts out of most of them and maybe a Briggs powered dragster just for giggles
234945 234946 234948

Dude, you have the luckiest grandkids! When I was a kid, 40 + years ago... I had a crappy go cart and some welding skills from Dad and we mounted an old chain saw engine on it and fabricated the drive linkages. Talk about fun!

truckjohn
02-06-2019, 11:05 AM
Some people live for their job... Most use their job as a tool to pay for the life they enjoy.

Don't feel bad for the guy who punches a clock doing something stinky for 30 years when that job pays for him and his family to do what they love to do.....

For example - I worked with an older lady. She worked weekend QC. Wondered why she never would retire instead of just grinding away forever at this job.... Well - she had adopted 3 of her grand kids. Had all them taken care of with her benefits. She kept them during the week, was home to make sure they could do their homework and play sports - they were her entire life, and she enjoyed every second she had with them. THAT was her dream - and the company paid for her dream...

Same thing for another guy I worked with.... He just ground out every day in the plant to pay for his Country Music singing career. He was a regional headliner - super talented... But Hank Williams covers won't put food on your table or send your kids through college.... So the plant paid for his country music career and put his kids through school...

Another guy I worked with was a weekend shift supervisor. He fished all week, even guided professionally. Work paid for all that and gave him benefits that professional fishing never could supply...

The ones I really feel worst about is the ones who feel bound to a "good job" which makes their outside work life miserable. I know a woman who teaches. She has a husband with a good job and a couple kids. That's the good life, The American Dream - right? Wrong.... Her school teacher career requires 14+ hours a day.... Her kids are in Afterschool till after 5 which drives her nuts - and she hates the fact that she can't put them in sports or really spend any daylight hours with them being Mom.... Then her and the husband spend 4 hours each night on the evening march with the kids - dinner, homework, baths, bed - and it's back to teacher work till 11....

Which ones of these are the ones living the American Dream vs which ones are being eaten by it.

waksupi
02-06-2019, 01:05 PM
It took me nearly a year and a half before I realized I don't HAVE to make or do something every day. I can sit and read, go fishing, camping, go visiting, or just poke around the property. I'm getting to like retirement more and more.

mold maker
02-06-2019, 01:17 PM
Retirement isn't quitting work, it's more changing jobs for one more enjoyed.

fatelk
02-06-2019, 02:07 PM
I wish I could talk my dad into retiring. For an old-school farmer from a time when a man’s work is a man’s worth, retirement is a bad word. Old farmers never retire; they just slow down until they can’t go anymore.

To me it’s sad. They’ve gotten to a place financially where they haven’t had to physically work for some years now, but he chooses to because it’s all he knows. I’ve told them for years that they should take this time to get out and enjoy life, travel a bit or something while they still can. They’ll be octogenarians in a couple years. Their choice though.

My grandfather was the same way. He’d come to visit and he’d want to go cut a load of firewood for us, at 90! He felt that if he wasn’t working, he wasn’t a man.

blackthorn
02-07-2019, 01:59 PM
I wish I could talk my dad into retiring. For an old-school farmer from a time when a man’s work is a man’s worth, retirement is a bad word. Old farmers never retire; they just slow down until they can’t go anymore.

To me it’s sad. They’ve gotten to a place financially where they haven’t had to physically work for some years now, but he chooses to because it’s all he knows. I’ve told them for years that they should take this time to get out and enjoy life, travel a bit or something while they still can. They’ll be octogenarians in a couple years. Their choice though.

My grandfather was the same way. He’d come to visit and he’d want to go cut a load of firewood for us, at 90! He felt that if he wasn’t working, he wasn’t a man.

My experience has been that people with that mind set do not last long when/if forced into retirement in any manner. You are certainly correct when you say " Their choice though"! More power and a long happy life to them!

fatelk
02-07-2019, 04:33 PM
That’s one thing that worries me. Sooner or later health forces us all to slow down.

skeettx
02-07-2019, 04:35 PM
bbs70
AND if you lived in Amarillo, we would work on my boat motors :)

MT Gianni
02-07-2019, 06:46 PM
Congrats to all of you who retired, and those that can’t...hang in there.

There’s a HUGE push in the foundries world to try and retain more of the “knowledge” that’s leaving the industry every time one of you retires. Virtual reality programs, and “mixed reality” viewers are the new thing. With the goggles on, you can walk through a plant, see what info you guys gave them, in relation to machines, equipment, and processes.

It's estimated 50,000 utility workers in the NW left or will leave their jobs through retirement between 2015 and 2020. Most of their employers when asked about their knowledge and experience said "Don't let the door hit you on the way out".

David2011
02-13-2019, 02:57 PM

We drive by the Casita factory pretty regularly. It always puts a smile on my face to see all of those cute little trailers lined up around the plant.

As with some of the other posts, for 18-1/2 years I had a job that I really loved and it paid for a lot of things I enjoyed. I flew RC airplanes, traveled to events on the other side of the country, bought the guns I wanted, shot a LOT of USPSA matches, had a sailboat and raced it some until Katrina took it away. Business changed and the last year and a half I had to work away from home, pretty much lost my entire life. Was put under a new employee that had no ethical or moral compass and thought he was God. I had enough and had no desire to work for anyone else. The stock market had been very good to me, we live well within our means and I have plenty to do in retirement. One of my goals 30 years ago was to be like this older gentleman that spent most of his mornings at the RC field helping others; especially newer RC pilots. We decided to move closer to family and once that move is completed I will be where I wanted to be in life.