PDA

View Full Version : Most comfortable shoulder holster

Tatume
05-07-2018, 06:55 AM
Hi Folks,

What is the most comfortable shoulder holster you ever used? What gun did you carry in it?

Thanks, Tom

Rick Hodges
05-07-2018, 07:30 AM
I used to carry a full size Colt 1911 Government model in a "******* rig" (now Galco) with two spare magazines on the off side for 8 hrs. or more a day. I also had a Don Hume conventional upright rig for the same pistol. Both got heavy by the end of the day, but the "*******" (brand name) rig was more comfortable for me. (Think Sunny Crocket's holster on Miami Vice)

Tatume
05-07-2018, 07:40 AM
Hi Rick,

I have one of those too. I agree, very comfortable, considering the mass of the Model 1911.

But for pure comfort, a super lightweight, small gun has an edge. Think "Bond, James Bond." :-)

Take care, Tom

Reddirt62
05-07-2018, 08:35 AM
Well, the only "shoulder rig" I have is actually a chest rig for my Ruger Alaskan 454.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

lightman
05-07-2018, 08:56 AM
I have several Bianchi rigs. I've carried everything from 1911's, Browning Highpowers, S&W N frames to a 2-1/2" 66. The holster for the 66 is an upside down rig. They handle the weight well but I can't really say that they are better than any other because Bianchi is all that I've ever owned. I seem to remember that they made a couple of different models and I had the more expensive ones.

justashooter
05-07-2018, 12:45 PM
Bianchi classic for a government model and for a beretta92.

RPRNY
05-07-2018, 01:21 PM
The M7 shoulder holster rig is the most comfortable, but not really a concealed rig. Can be warn underneath a fairly substantial piece of outerwear but to be concealed would limit access quite a bit.

I have found the "*******" type rig described above to very easily print and not be comfortable with a 1911 or M&P 40. With a compact lightweight pistol, it may be a very good choice.

smokeywolf
05-07-2018, 01:49 PM
Used to carry the 1911 in an old Bianchi vertical break-front. It was just a tad "floppier" than I would have liked, but comfortable and accessible, even with one or two of my coat buttons buttoned.

rintinglen
05-08-2018, 11:28 AM
I carried a snubbie in a Bianchi 9R for years. I wore out the first one practising, but got really fast and good with it and a j-frame Smith. Later I went to a Colt detective special. For larger guns, I have to concur with those who vote for the Galco/******* rigs. They are the most concealable and comfortable rigs for full size guns.

Tatume
05-09-2018, 06:46 AM
I have a Bianchi, which I think is the same one as your's. It's a leather, upside-down rig. Elastic draws the holster closed behind the trigger guard. Eventually the elastic grew weak and the revolver would drop out. I saved it, hoping one day to cut all the stitching and re-sew it with new elastic.

Victor N TN
05-09-2018, 11:05 AM
I carried a 9mm S&W 39-2 (alloy frame) in a Bianchi X-15 (vertical carry) every day for years. But when GALCO came out with their "Miami Classic" same as Sonny Crocket's carry... I use it almost exclusively now for Glock 30 and another for 1911A1.

When you get an adjustable holster like the GALCO I mentioned, take the time to learn how to set everything up. Setup and adjustment is probably 40% of concealability.

I continue to use both. But for different purposes. Good luck in your choices.

popper
05-09-2018, 11:45 AM
Any of them any good for pig (field) carry? THe belt holster for my XDm 40 gets heavy and in the way. Those cheap plastic OWB are terrible too.

Victor N TN
05-09-2018, 02:25 PM
Any of them any good for pig (field) carry? THe belt holster for my XDm 40 gets heavy and in the way. Those cheap plastic OWB are terrible too.

I carry a 6" 629 in a belt carry cross draw for hunting. I like it, myself.

Blackwater
05-09-2018, 08:34 PM
My experience with shoulder holsters is that most folks quit before getting all the straps adjusted just right. The FITTING of the holster, via those adjustments, is KEY to the comfort of a shoulder holster. It took me several days of trying and retrying the adjustments to get them "right" to where the rig felt really comfortable. But even then, there's always little things about carrying, by any type of holster. Things like you don't want to bend over to pick something up, when wearing an OWB holster under a jacket. You squat down, instead, to keep it concealed. With shoulder holsters, if they tend to fall forward when you bend over, you need to get something adjusted, or maybe put another strap in the mix. Gift ribbon works really well for this type of addition. Connectors are the biggest question, but knifemaker suppliers tend to have some good solutions.

Carrying a gun is NEVR going to be as comfortable as not carrying anything at all. But it sure is comforting, and can save your life! We need to quit complaining, and start being thankful we CAN carry a gun! It matters, and sometimes it matters a LOT!

Victor N TN
05-10-2018, 02:47 PM
My experience with shoulder holsters is that most folks quit before getting all the straps adjusted just right. The FITTING of the holster, via those adjustments, is KEY to the comfort of a shoulder holster. It took me several days of trying and retrying the adjustments to get them "right" to where the rig felt really comfortable. But even then, there's always little things about carrying, by any type of holster. Things like you don't want to bend over to pick something up, when wearing an OWB holster under a jacket. You squat down, instead, to keep it concealed. With shoulder holsters, if they tend to fall forward when you bend over, you need to get something adjusted, or maybe put another strap in the mix. Gift ribbon works really well for this type of addition. Connectors are the biggest question, but knifemaker suppliers tend to have some good solutions.

Carrying a gun is NEVR going to be as comfortable as not carrying anything at all. But it sure is comforting, and can save your life! We need to quit complaining, and start being thankful we CAN carry a gun! It matters, and sometimes it matters a LOT!

This is one of the things I try to stress to my friends. I SO AGREE with every thing you stated. Thank you for saying it so I can agree to it.

Golfswithwolves
05-10-2018, 07:40 PM
I used to carry a full size Colt 1911 Government model in a "******* rig" (now Galco) with two spare magazines on the off side for 8 hrs. or more a day. I also had a Don Hume conventional upright rig for the same pistol. Both got heavy by the end of the day, but the "*******" (brand name) rig was more comfortable for me. (Think Sunny Crocket's holster on Miami Vice)

This was also my choice for the M9 for days at a time.

lightload
05-10-2018, 08:02 PM
I'm one of the guys who could never get the straps adjusted so I quit.

Jack Stanley
05-10-2018, 08:53 PM
I use a Galco to carry a four inch model twenty-nine . Normally when I'm out in the woods and fields working on other stuff . Like the man said it doesn't do real well bending over I would add that splitting wood with an ax doesn't work real well either .

Jack

wrench man
05-12-2018, 08:28 PM
Galco "VHS", a full size Ruger SR1911 or CMD, depending on how I feel that morning?, and I'm glad I fallowed the directions and DIDN'T cut the tails on the straps!, the "fitting" part does indeed take a few days to figure out!
Just a note, DON'T go jamming a CMD in there, it'll pop the mag release button and spit out the mag!

Tatume
05-13-2018, 08:07 AM
Does anybody have any experience with J.R. Roscoe holsters?

http://shoulderholster.us/

cajun shooter
05-15-2018, 12:04 AM
The biggest question to the OP should have been, what is the reason you are asking about shoulder holsters. In other words are you a LEO who will be carrying for 8-12 hrs or more a day. If so what firearm do you carry? Are you of small, medium or large frame. If your a CCW person, then you will not be carrying as many hours or may wish to carry a lighter gun than what the police are ordered to carry.
I was a LEO for 15 years and also the Firearms Instructor for a 600 man department. I tried different shoulder rigs and found the ******* line to be very good. I will say this, if you carry a large gun then consider buying the extra ammo and hand cuff cases for your off side. It does add weight but I found that it helped to balance the rig and make it much more comfortable to carry for several hours. Later David

Tatume
05-15-2018, 07:48 AM
Hi David,

Someone did ask, and I answered.

I have one of those (Model 1911 ******* rig) too. I agree, very comfortable, considering the mass of the Model 1911.

But for pure comfort, a super lightweight, small gun has an edge. Think "Bond, James Bond." :-)

Galco does not make the ******* rig for very small guns like the S&W J-frame revolvers. They do make the Miami Classic for small guns, probably because it is not necessary to tip the little guns at an angle to conceal them. I ordered a Miami Classic for the S&W Model 37 Airweight.

JoeJames
05-15-2018, 04:16 PM
I figured out that my Ruger New Model Blackhawk 4 1/2" 44 Special would fit just fine in an old M3? GI Victory Model shoulder holster. I soaked the holster in a tub of water for about 6 hours and then formed it around the blackhawk (encased in plastic of course). The strap even fit just right. Not really for concealed carry except in mid winter, but when walking around my place it does just fine and is comfortable.