PDA

View Full Version : Ruger LCR

Tatume
05-06-2018, 09:18 AM
Hi Folks,

What are the pros and cons of the LCR? I'm considering two, the 22 LR and the 38 Special. Tell me anything you know about them.

Thank you, Tom

Rick Hodges
05-06-2018, 09:39 AM
I own a LCRx-3 in 38 special with 3" bbl and adjustable sights. It is an interesting little revolver. Very smooth trigger pull if not a light one. It has an odd curve to the trigger....a little too curved and hurts my trigger finger with extended dryfiring/firing. Put one in your hand and see what you think. I like the revolver super lightweight.

I like the option of single and double action and would opt for the LCRx with the exposed hammer unless I was going to pocket carry it....even then I think I would just bob the hammer and leave enough so I could fire it single action.

I only have about 300 rounds through mine so far but like it a lot.

Tatume
05-06-2018, 01:15 PM
Thanks Rick, Good information. Take care, Tom

wyofool
05-06-2018, 10:40 PM
Its funny you mention the .22 and the .38. I bought both for my wife to shoot. I was hoping the .22 could be used for practice and the .38 for the more serious shooting. This was back in the day that .22's were cheap and easy to find. Then the prices went up as they got scarce, I could reload the .38 for less. But! the big thing was the trigger's the .22 was a lot different than the .38. They are not close. Then we moved to NV and I wanted something for snake loads. Ended up selling both and bought her an LCR in .357. She shoots the daylights out of it every Friday (with the girls). I loaded .357 cases for snakes and .38spl for her Friday shoots. She likes it and is pretty good with it and that is what counts.
My question to you would be "What are you going to use them for?"

Beef15
05-06-2018, 11:19 PM
I have an LCR in 38, bought very shortly after they came out.

Not a bad little gun, trigger is heavy but pretty smooth, makes it take practice to hit a 6" plate at 25yds with any consistency, my friend's S&W airweight shot groups about half the size at every distance I shot both, small sample means little to nothing.

It is pleasant to carry, it is not the most pleasant gun to shoot. I think the frame size is a little small for my hand and the composite resonates or something, with +P rounds it feels like my hand has been slapped HARD, I have never had another gun leave my hand stinging. I don't run hot rounds thru it often so not a big deal.

Taterhead
05-07-2018, 12:00 AM
I have an LCR in 38+p. Neat little gun. Very good gun for its price point. It has a better trigger than I expected.

With bunny fluff loads of an RCBS 150 SWC, my wife will shoot cylinder after cylinder, and it is enjoyable. I agree with Beef that it does hurt to shoot +p ammo -- even with the Hogue Tamer grip that came standard.

My range time with it usually consists of up to 100 rounds of modest pressure ammo, then a few cylinders of full-strength ammo to acclimate to the recoil impulse. It is just on the upper size limit for a pocket carry, but works fine with the right pants.

I'd recommend it if looking for an inexpensive snubby.

winelover
05-07-2018, 06:28 AM
LCR has a better out of the box trigger than all three of the J frames I have. Better sights, too. I went with the 357 version for versatility. Weighs only a couple of ounces more than the Smith's. Recoil isn't that bad, IMO. As a hand-loader, you can tailor a softer shooting load, anyways.

Winelover

Tatume
05-07-2018, 07:18 AM
My question to you would be "What are you going to use them for?"

I'd like to be able to interchange the 22 and 38 in my holster, depending on whether I'm walking in the woods or the concrete jungle. Since I already have a very comfortable-to-carry S&W Model 37 Airweight, I'm also considering a Model 317 Airweight.

Shuz
05-09-2018, 10:10 AM
I just started loading for my wife's LCR in .38 Special. First trial is with the Lee 356-120TC, just tumble lubed with liquid Alox thinned with mineral spirits and 3.4g of Bullseye. I have yet to find the time to chrono them and test for accuracy.

The LCR is a nice little revolver and my wife prefers it to the Kahr CM9. She just doesn't like semi-autos.