PDA

View Full Version : 50 new Marines...time for a break!

Love Life
05-06-2018, 09:10 AM
Last Friday, Kilo Company graduated a whole mess of new Marines. 50 were trained by me and the team of Drill Instructors I was with. Now it’s time to enjoy some time off. I haven’t been shooting since January so I think I’ll start with a day at the range. Got me a new to me Nickle plated S&W model 27 to shoot. Got some new knives to take to the woods as well.

I reckon I’ll be a beach bum too, and work on my tan.

Finster101
05-06-2018, 09:16 AM
Just remembering my boot, I can't imagine the amount of time and energy invested by the DI's. Enjoy your well deserved down time. Nickle Plated? What are you pimpin' now? LOL

shdwlkr
05-06-2018, 09:37 AM
Lovelife
Never was a Marine but went through Army Airborne basic and AIT, never ran so much in my life. Went through the confidence course at the end of AIT and had to go get a friend that froze 40 feet in the air on the logs, went up and walked backwards through the rest of course with him so he could get through and pass. Those were the days, seems like a lifetime ago now as it was over 47 years ago now. Now I am an old man with lots of reminds of my time in the military. Enjoy your break and thank you for your service and also training the next batch of veterans what it means to be an American.

osteodoc08
05-06-2018, 09:53 AM
Thanks for another batch of men trained LL. Hope the gnats aren’t too thick just yet down there.

quilbilly
05-06-2018, 12:39 PM
Good to hear you are getting some down time. You are still missed at NCBS.

OS OK
05-06-2018, 01:57 PM
I wish that every High School Graduate, he's & she's alike had a 'mandatory opportunity' of attending a Marine Boot Camp before they were let loose in life to pursue college or whatever their dreams entail...and for those drop outs...they have a weeks time to say 'goodbye to friends and family' & show up at Paris Island or Hollywood!

Either way...it's time to start putting some 'bark' on our kids before they enter life!

Thanks for your service Marine...

Semper Fi

Plate plinker
05-06-2018, 02:07 PM
LL how many hours a week do you put in as a DI? Just curious.

Love Life
05-06-2018, 03:16 PM
100 +

popper
05-06-2018, 03:32 PM
I reckon I’ll be a beach bum too, and work on my tan. Don't forget the insect repellent too.

Love Life
05-06-2018, 04:29 PM
Already slathered up. I’m blue crab fishing right now!!

Tom W.
05-06-2018, 06:28 PM
Visited around Thanksgiving. Had to see where my Dad and oldest son spent time.... I couldn't due to medical reasons....

https://i.imgur.com/DvsZKKIm.jpg

marlin39a
05-06-2018, 08:44 PM
I read this post and all I can think about is Full Metal Jacket, Lee Ermey, God rest his soul.

Plate plinker
05-06-2018, 09:02 PM
100 +

Holy Buckets, thats a bunch even if your young! Hope you get plenty of down time before the next cycle.

OS OK
05-06-2018, 11:05 PM
Visited around Thanksgiving. Had to see where my Dad and oldest son spent time.... I couldn't due to medical reasons....

https://i.imgur.com/DvsZKKIm.jpg

There was a time when stepping off those yellow footprints meant certain death! My first memory was immediately after arriving...standing in front of the barber shop...the barber ask me, "You wanna keep those sideburns boy?" I nodded...he said..."Catch em!"

Tom W.
05-06-2018, 11:18 PM
I was born at Camp Lejeune, and spent most of my life there...

https://i.imgur.com/6ka3eodm.jpg

DIRT Farmer
05-06-2018, 11:18 PM
The yellowfeet

JBinMN
05-06-2018, 11:32 PM
Congrats! to ya for your 1st platoon of Marines moved on.
:)
:drinks:

Get a good vacation, because you will likely have 7 more platoons to go if ya don't get "Overlaps", &/or go to a "collateral duty" like being an instructor at the Swimming Pool, or something like that.
;)

I am looking forward to hearing that you have made, "Heavy" and then your winning the guidon at the Series 1st Drill Competition. ( If they still do that anymore...)
[The one(PLT 3021) I have for winning our series competition, is signed by all the recruits of the platoon & resides along with my last DI cover on the wall as a memento of former times.]

Thanks for sharing your updates on occasion, as it is nice for folks to know a bit about your doins, as well as for fellers like me that spent a tour or more on the "grinder" at P.I. ( or S.D.).
;)

I also miss fishing for blue crabs. Still have the net in the garage after all these years. Lost the shrimp casting net somewhere along the lines, but that long handled net is still around.
Have fun eating!

Semper Fi! Marine!

Love Life
05-06-2018, 11:35 PM
This was my third platoon. I was the heavy this cycle. I’m a SDI next cycle.

JBinMN
05-06-2018, 11:43 PM
This was my third platoon. I was the heavy this cycle. I’m a SDI next cycle.

Well, I stand corrected. Time flies, I reckon. Here I was still thinking you were through with the 1st..
;)

Forget about it. LOL

Congrats anyway! & I hope the crabs were delicious!

Love Life
05-06-2018, 11:49 PM
I’m not sure which was worse. My 4th hat or my heavy cycle, lol. Both were pretty much lights to lights the whole way through, lol.

lightman
05-07-2018, 08:50 AM
Thank You for your Service and the dedication that you have displayed in training new Marines. I have enjoyed reading your post and hearing about your experiences. I hope you enjoy your well deserved time off. Take Care!

HABCAN
05-07-2018, 12:44 PM
Semper fi, LL!! Enjoy to the fullest, and TYVM.

avogunner
05-07-2018, 06:28 PM
Love Life.....you get time off between platoons? When I was a hat (90-92), we not only went back to back - outpost on Friday, pick up Saturday, I also overlapped. That's something, third phase platoon on 1st deck, 1st phase on the third...man I was tired! Full disclosure, I did get a whole week off one time between platoons and it was glorious!

Wow, just thinking....my recruits would be long retired by now. Man, I'm old!

Semper Fi!

popper
05-08-2018, 03:59 PM
http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2018/05/07/exclusive-pershings-one-man-army-the-unknowns/
Was looking at the 'standard' battle dress posted , thought this would be interesting.

opos
05-08-2018, 06:15 PM
Living in San Diego the military is an ever present part of our lives...Lots of nice activities over the years to help say thanks to our service men and women...Up until a few years ago I was able to do some things that age and physical issues have put to a stop...but the fun of being able to load some 40 service men and women on a boat for a day of fishing was always the most fun...these were almost always folks returning from deployment and they enjoyed the distraction.
The picture is of a helicopter service/repair group at Pendleton and is pretty representative of what we enjoyed doing do much....I think the group things have sort of died out but I know a lot of anglers that take small groups out for some fishing time.

Bzcraig
05-08-2018, 10:42 PM
Thanks for your continued patriotism Dick and train 'em hard to keep 'em alive.

bstone5
05-08-2018, 11:12 PM
San Diego August 1965, Stood on the yellow foot prints, while being talked to in a loud voice by a Drill Instructor, a long time in the past. Finished the Marine Corps and went to college with the Hippies. If they, the Hippies can finish college, I could also.

Mohavedog
05-09-2018, 12:48 PM
One of my grandsons is going to SD on Jul 16. Very proud for him to have chosen the USMC. I want him to be made the toughest marine possible. If he asks "why" you all are singling him out just tell him grandpa "poppy" ordered it. LL I don't think you are in SD, but I'm confident your cohorts there are just as good.
Thank you for your service and dedication to training those who will someday replace you.

bruce drake
05-11-2018, 09:38 AM
Love Life.....you get time off between platoons? When I was a hat (90-92), we not only went back to back - outpost on Friday, pick up Saturday, I also overlapped. That's something, third phase platoon on 1st deck, 1st phase on the third...man I was tired! Full disclosure, I did get a whole week off one time between platoons and it was glorious!

Wow, just thinking....my recruits would be long retired by now. Man, I'm old!

Semper Fi!

We are retired! But you trained us (including me) to stay alive and to keep our fellow Marines alive when the times got "intense".

avogunner
05-11-2018, 04:10 PM
We are retired! But you trained us (including me) to stay alive and to keep our fellow Marines alive when the times got "intense".

I miss my Marines, I miss being around Marines...hell, I miss being around warriors (of any branch)! God bless you all!
Thanks Bruce.

Semper Fi.

ghh3rd
05-11-2018, 08:42 PM
Thank you all for your service!

bruce drake
05-11-2018, 08:42 PM
I miss my Marines, I miss being around Marines...hell, I miss being around warriors (of any branch)! God bless you all!
Thanks Bruce.

Semper Fi.

Semper Fidelis, my fellow brother.

Tom W.
05-11-2018, 09:28 PM
I live just outside of Ft. Benning, but I still can't shake the feeling that Uncle Sam's Misguided Children would be a safer place...