PDA

View Full Version : defects and accuracy???

jhalcott
09-11-2008, 10:50 PM
If you are shooting a .45 auto and are using what ever drops from the mold, what is the expected accuracy you'll get.? I mean no culling, bullets weigh as much as 5 to 6 grains different. Slight flashing/,finning,the kind that can be removed with a finger nail. The range is only 25 yards. I'm thinking a 5" group would be very good doing it this way. A better way ,of course, is to cull the bullets, but I AM lazy.

docone31
09-11-2008, 10:54 PM
I shoot whatever comes out. After sizing, most fins, small defects get ironed out pretty much.
I have not really noticed any loss of performance. Interesting though, when I push 200gn flying ashtrays, I get center, when I push 200gn Lee flat nose, they are 1" to left.
Other than that, I do not notice much difference.

HeavyMetal
09-11-2008, 10:55 PM
depends on the "quality" of the .45.

A good tight Kimber or springfield may stay in 2.5 inchs with "anything " loads.

It's when you stretch to 50 yds. you really see the difference in boolit quality!

Kraschenbirn
09-11-2008, 11:39 PM
depends on the "quality" of the .45....

I'm with Heavy Metal that accuracy probably depends more upon the gun than minor boolit defects.

A buddy has a custom Les Baer bullseye gun that's uncannily accurate with Remington factory match ammo...1 1/2" groups @ 25 yds (from a Ransom Rest)...but groups using my water-quenched WW 200 SWCs resemble a tight buckshot pattern. Same load in my Wilson-barreled Series 70 Gold Cup will shoot into 2 1/2" all day at the same distance. Go figure.

Bill

Dale53
09-12-2008, 12:10 AM
I have two really good "built up" match guns (1911's). They were built by Harold Johnson (a retired Marine Gunnery Sergeant). Harold did MacMillan's guns when in the Marine Corp MacMillan was the great Marine Champion). Mine will do under 1" at 25 yards with my cast bullets from the Ransom Rest. They will do 2" at fifty yards. I consider that superlative. When they were built it was not a common performance level.

Today, using a GOOD match gun should equal that with out a problem.

So, what am I shooting these days? A pair of 625's!! Of course, they shoot well, also, and I DO NOT HAVE TO PICK UP THE CASES!:mrgreen: You youngsters probably don't understand that statement but at my age, not having to bend over 80 times after shooting 80 shots, is a positive LUXURY:drinks:. I DO have a brass catcher but it is only about 80-90% effective with the light target loads that I shoot these days.

On the other hand, if I were still shooting competitive NRA Bullseye, then the advantage of a self loader would negate the revolver's nice handling of the brass.

I guess it's all back to "horses for courses"...

Dale53

missionary5155
09-12-2008, 04:37 AM
I recon I am sellective with the Booloits I will use as EDC in my 5 shot 38 Special.. Full flat square bases. Practice projectiles ??? I just look at bases and if it has one... I generally cast hot and the stuff seems to plop out OK. But I am not shooting down here past 70 yards generally and rocks just do not seem to care what smacks them... and 2 cycle motor oil cotainers just sing the thwop song. Now my wife (Cactus Killer) is just a bit more Par-tic- qu-lar what she destroys.

Bass Ackward
09-12-2008, 07:17 AM
I don't think anyone can say. I shoot some stuff for gun break in and grand kids that just amaze me.

Really depends on the weight and design of the bullets and how your gun is handling them. Also depends on where the defect is located.

If you have a design that is operating at the peak of it's strength, and light for caliber bullets tend to be weaker, you could see more action. The bullet has to establish and hold center and exit well. If it does, then 25 yds aught to be respectable. If you are using harder bullets than required for the pressure, you may not notice anything. If the base is affected, odds aren't good.

jonk
09-12-2008, 08:57 AM
For shooting at less than 25, say 12 yards, I don't even bother to cull wrinkles, unfilled bases, or torn sprues. That close it just doesn't matter.

At 25 I do check all bullets. Helps a bit but I don't have any match guns so 5-6" groups is the best I can do.

At 50 the only pistol I've got that will perform is a ruger Mk2 with a bull barrel so it's a moot point.

Cherokee
09-12-2008, 01:07 PM
I usta cull out the junkers from a casting session. then one time I sized a loaded a few to just "see". At 25 yd I could not tell the difference in several guns, could in a few others. Now I just set the culls aside and load for close in practice. What cartridge ya say - any of them.

AZ-Stew
09-12-2008, 01:35 PM
I always cull boolits with rounded base corners. It's a habit I've developed.

Regards,

Stew

John Boy
09-12-2008, 04:53 PM
Fifty yards or less - don't make a hoot. Hundred yards to 1000, quality bullets are required ... good bases - sharp GG bands - gyroscopic stability and a well balanced bullet ratio with no dross in the melt. Why? because with mirage (200 +yds) and wind drift - with a bad bullet ... POI can be off by many inches - Plus

Shiloh
09-12-2008, 05:21 PM
I always cull boolits with rounded base corners. It's a habit I've developed.

Regards,

Stew

Thats been my standard. Bad bases on the boolits and they go into a cull box for remelting.

Cosmetics seem to have little effect on accuracy. Obviously flawed boolits always go to the cull box.

Shiloh