PDA

View Full Version : Powder coated bullets and suppressors

maliveline
05-05-2018, 08:49 PM
Well I went out a few weeks ago and shot about 150 rounds through my silencerco omega on my Springfield saint 556. At first I took the ends off and it seems a little more dirty but honestly it didn’t seem terrible. There was definitely some chunks of **** falling out of the blast baffle but for the most part it just look liked black carbon inside the supressor. Well tonight I disassembled the can as much as possible and started doing some ultrasonic cleaning in simple green and got a ton of **** out. But I definitely did notice that if I scratched the inside of the blast baffle with a tooth pick there was deifinitely a coating of gray silvery lead inside of there. I really don’t think this is something I want to do over a long term basis because I could see this **** really building up over time. If anyone has more experience with this subject go ahead and chime in.

jeepyj
05-05-2018, 09:14 PM
Marked with interest

Lloyd Smale
05-06-2018, 07:45 AM
Are you saying your bullets were pc'd? I wonder if it was the fact it was an ar15. Ar15s have a pretty violent action and id about bet many of them damage the pc coat when feeding. My buddy has a bad leading problem with his 45acp can on handguns with conventioanly lubed bullets. I just casted and coated a pile for him to try to see if that cures it. It will probably be a month or so before I get them to him though. Ill let you know his results.
Well I went out a few weeks ago and shot about 150 rounds through my silencerco omega on my Springfield saint 556. At first I took the ends off and it seems a little more dirty but honestly it didn’t seem terrible. There was definitely some chunks of **** falling out of the blast baffle but for the most part it just look liked black carbon inside the supressor. Well tonight I disassembled the can as much as possible and started doing some ultrasonic cleaning in simple green and got a ton of **** out. But I definitely did notice that if I scratched the inside of the blast baffle with a tooth pick there was deifinitely a coating of gray silvery lead inside of there. I really don’t think this is something I want to do over a long term basis because I could see this **** really building up over time. If anyone has more experience with this subject go ahead and chime in.

maliveline
05-28-2018, 02:38 PM
It turns out that powder coated bullets still cause quite a bit of leading in suppressors this seems to be some what well documented around the internet. Does anyone have a solution for this? I’m thinking about adding atomized copper to my powder coat to see if that helps. Has anyone solved this problem I’m not that smart.

Taterhead
05-29-2018, 11:17 AM
This is interesting. I'm trying to understand the mechanism that would cause leading in a suppressor baffle, but not in the barrel.