PDA

View Full Version : Tariff war and the cost of molds.

Leadmelter
05-05-2018, 08:35 PM
I keep hearing about the metal tariff wars. How will that affect mold prices since it affecting steel and aluminum? Brass?
Leadmelter
MI

Wayne Smith
05-05-2018, 08:43 PM
So far, no tariffs. Only threats and negotiations. I haven't heard Brass mentioned, maybe that will be safe. But there is a tariff on the importation of the metal, not necessarily items made of that metal.

MyFlatline
05-05-2018, 08:52 PM
I'm betting on cheaper materials...Time will tell.

Hope he gets the lead flowing again too..

Landy88
05-05-2018, 08:56 PM
Markets, though, anticipate; and both metals prices and especially futures (futures hate this kind of uncertainty) have went up. Manufacturers very often use futures as a key input in their pricing decisions - look out for price bumps ahead.

trapper9260
05-06-2018, 10:21 AM
I know in the past when I got some molds from MP that they put it down as hand tools. So the tariff I do not think will hurt it since it is not just what is ask about.

reddog81
05-06-2018, 10:46 AM
The amount of metal in a mold is so small it's almost irrelevant. I'd guess a pound of steel or aluminum probably cost the mold makers around $2 to $5. The price of molds is due to the expensive equipment, expertise and knowledge required to make the molds. The price of raw materials could double and the price of the molds would probably go up about 10%. If were talking about building skyscrapers the answer would be different.

I'd be interested to hear the mold makers opinion on this matter and see what they say.

porthos
05-06-2018, 02:56 PM
i'm sure that the price of a mold will go up in price commensurate with the increase in mold block prices. lets see maybe ; 25 cents or so. so we should all be in a panic mode and order any and all molds that we want now or may want in the future

robertbank
05-07-2018, 02:26 PM
Canada is the largest supplier of steel and aluminum to the US outside of US domestic production and there will be no tariffs on either on Canadian steel or aluminum . Trump is just playing aka lying to his base.

Take Care

Bob

Dan Cash
05-07-2018, 02:39 PM
Canada is the largest supplier of steel and aluminum to the US outside of US domestic production and there will be no tariffs on either on Canadian steel or aluminum . Trump is just playing aka lying to his base.

Take Care

Bob

Your comment is entirely out of line and uncalled for.

fredj338
05-07-2018, 02:48 PM
I doubt it. There is more labor than matl in a bullet mold.

robertbank
05-07-2018, 02:48 PM
I don't think so. Why he ever brought it up is beyond me. The US/ Canadian steel industry has been fully integrated for years to the benefit of both countries. Just noise meant to keep his base happy.

Take Care

Bob

fredj338
05-07-2018, 02:49 PM

Take Care

Bob

Wow, a Canuck that hates Trump?? Never thought I would hear that?????:roll:

robertbank
05-07-2018, 02:50 PM
I doubt it. There is more labor than matl in a bullet mold.

This! I would be more worried about what it would do to the price of domestic produced autos.

Take Care

Bob

Ballistics in Scotland
05-07-2018, 02:55 PM
All right then, Trump may be floating a possibility that he intends to be traded off against something else, as politicians do.

It is a tariff on the importation of raw materials, and relatively few objects, except jewellery and guns, have a lower proportion of material costs to work, design, stockholding costs etc.

robertbank
05-07-2018, 03:02 PM
Wow, a Canuck that hates Trump?? Never thought I would hear that?????:roll:

Hate? Heck no. The weekly Friday soap opera that goes on down there is better TV than watching hockey right now. Your President struggles with macro economics and the truth from time to time.

Take Care

Bob

Plate plinker
05-07-2018, 03:54 PM
I don’t care what the rest of the world thinks. In our county we are all working and making money. Conditions of employment here are many times better than with the previous idiot.

Hate? Heck no. The weekly Friday soap opera that goes on down there is better TV than watching hockey right now. Your President struggles with macro economics and the truth from time to time.

Take Care

Bob

USSR
05-07-2018, 08:48 PM
Ah, go easy on the Canuck. The only thing they got going for them is a better view of Niagara Falls.

Don

Pardini
05-09-2018, 11:57 PM
Ah, go easy on the Canuck. The only thing they got going for them is a better view of Niagara Falls.

Don

And Awesome Healthcare.

2wheelDuke
05-10-2018, 12:27 AM
And Awesome Healthcare.

It's quite rate to talk to an actual Canadian that'll say that.

GregLaROCHE
05-10-2018, 04:15 AM
Almost always prices go up. Businesses often use something in the current news to justify to consumers why the prices have gone up. Normally their costs have been inching up little by little and this gives them a chance to bump up there prices to what they need to be to survive with a reasonable profit. In a free market economy as the US has, competition is what is supposed to keep the prices reasonable. However, to keep the economy growing, the government plays with the money supply, interest rates etc. It may be good for the economy, but that is why prices keep going up. One Dollar a hundred years ago, is worth less than five Cents today. That’s just the way it is.