PDA

View Full Version : Gravy- Best jar Gravy

DCP
05-04-2018, 08:26 AM
The wife loves Hot roast beef sandwich. Sometimes we don't have gravy so she tied Heinz and Kroger in jars and a gravy mix in a Mccormick packet.
Packet sucks and the jars were ok.

What do you use?

Der Gebirgsjager
05-04-2018, 08:57 AM
Safeway brand, both beef and chicken, in cans.

osteodoc08
05-04-2018, 09:22 AM
I’ve never found a jar gravy up to par. Edible? Yes. Better than homemade? Not even close

WebMonkey
05-04-2018, 10:26 AM
bisto gravy powder.
i know you asked for a jar but bisto powder is good.
even better with some frozen venison drippings from last season, but good on its own.

waksupi
05-04-2018, 10:34 AM
For a quick gravy, I use either beef or chicken bullion, milk, water, and corn starch, along with some salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Comes out reasonably well. If using corn starch in gravy, put around a teaspoon in a jar with some warm water, and shake until mixed. That way, you don't get lumps in the gravy.

mold maker
05-04-2018, 10:35 AM
If homemade isn't available, what comes out of a jar or can sure beats a snowball.

sundog
05-04-2018, 10:38 AM
In a pinch I've even used beef broth (box or can), flour, Kitchen Bouquet, and season to taste, sometimes a drop of liquid smoke. It works, but real drippin's are 'mo betta' than anything.

Heinz from a jar is okay, chicken or beef.

texasnative46
05-04-2018, 11:42 AM
To All,

As EASY as gravy is to make at home, I see NO reason to buy/eat "canned"/"store-bought" gravy at any time.
(Every bit of bacon & chicken grease from cooking at our home is saved for making gravy.)
Similarly, I don't understand people who buy any "store bought"/frozen plain old buttered toast, when toast is so easy/quick to make from scratch.

yours, tex

Rattlesnake Charlie
05-04-2018, 12:06 PM
Libby's sausage gravy is the best I've found when I don't have time to make it from scratch. It comes in a can.

farmerjim
05-04-2018, 12:39 PM
Gravy is just too easy to make and is so much better than anything out of a can to not make it yourself.
First you make a roux. Then let your imagination run wild. No 2 of my gravies are ever the same.

wizofwas
05-04-2018, 04:08 PM
GFS has a decent canned gravy, but it is a big can. Of course, I've only had it after we put a bunch of meatloaf drippings in it.

Char-Gar
05-04-2018, 05:25 PM
Jar gravy? I never heard of such a thing. Generations of my Texas ancestors would rise from their graves and smite me, if I held such a thing in my hand. Lord have mercy!

gon2shoot
05-04-2018, 06:01 PM
Jar gravy? I never heard of such a thing. Generations of my Texas ancestors would rise from their graves and smite me, if I held such a thing in my hand. Lord have mercy!

I'm thinkin it must be for them instant potatoes or some such, heard about them things, didnt think it was real.

wizofwas
05-04-2018, 06:13 PM
Yep, it's for them instant taters. GFS has them too. The ones with the skins are the best with that thar canned gravy. Now, I ain't sayin' that it's great, just better than most instant stuff. And I know that, that ain't sayin' much.

DCP
05-04-2018, 06:16 PM

We use cell phones in IL. You can google that to see what they are. I figured the best you can do is a rotary dial phone there in TX. We also learn young up here that what the misses wants, she gets. I get real mashed potatoes.

A library in Tx may have info on a cell phone also.

Blanket
05-04-2018, 06:22 PM
If you don't have home made gravy use butter instead

Skipper
05-04-2018, 06:30 PM
Jar Gravy??

https://m.popkey.co/a96cc1/kWgpK.gif

Outpost75
05-04-2018, 07:35 PM
Yankee Democrats invented instant potatoes and jar gravy to use up all the leftover wall paper paste after they invented peel and stick...

bangerjim
05-04-2018, 07:44 PM
Gravy in a jar = wine in a box = potato flakes in a box = TV dinners = frozen “fish (?)” sticks!

Sorry, not on my menu!!!!!!!

Jar gravy is even worse that that Shellac-like brown “stuff” they serve at KFC. And who, in their right mind, severs BROWN gravy with fried chicken!?!?!?!

Only fresh gourmet/classic/made-from-scratch foods here. We keep REAL bacon grease in a jar in the fridge for gravy/food seasoning. Or cook up fresh meats and make gravy from the “cracklins” and drippings.

You can’t beat good ole pan-fried chicken white flour gravy and REAL mashed taters with the skins on.

Gettin’ hungry just typing this.

Banger

MaryB
05-04-2018, 09:43 PM
Better than Bullion beef or chicken base, water, corn starch or flour to thicken... Makes a decent gravy. BTB bases also work to boost the drippings from a roast if you need to stretch it into more gravy.

osteodoc08
05-05-2018, 12:54 AM
When shopping today, I saw a new one for me......

Powdered Peanut Butter

Say what?

Yes

POWDERED peanut butter

Now back to the gravy......

mold maker
05-05-2018, 09:46 AM
I realize most here are younger and fit, but for those of us who survived that affliction, there is such a thing as old age. Along with it comes aches and pains that make us immobile to the point that standing at the stove to brown off meats such as dried beef, and stiring in the flour and milk, is beyond our abilities. I find yself at that stage and caring for the wheelchair bound better half. Some mornings toast and coffee is the limit of my ability. If opening a jar adds that much to it, we manage.
Nope, it's not my choice but it is better than none and it gets rid of the horrible taste of 17 pills.
I've said it before and I'll preach it again, enjoy your youth because you too may outlive it..........

osteodoc08
05-05-2018, 10:38 AM
mold maker, never thought of it that way. Life has a way of beating up on us and taking its toll. Hope you and the Mrs are able to enjoy some of the nice spring weather we’re had in the south lately.

bangerjim
05-05-2018, 11:58 AM
“Getting old.....is not for the weak!”

RED BEAR
05-05-2018, 05:47 PM
i have never had gravy out of a jar or a packet. always had homemade .

Col4570
05-05-2018, 07:21 PM
219902 This is a good one to go with your Roast Beef.

slownsteady22
05-05-2018, 11:24 PM

Powdered Peanut Butter

Say what?

Yes

POWDERED peanut butter

Now back to the gravy......How do you powder peanut butter????????????????? What is the world coming to.........

Lloyd Smale
05-06-2018, 07:36 AM
if you ever had a hot hamburger sandwich, roast beef and gravy sandwich or a turkey and gravy sandwich in a restaurant theres a 90 percent chance you're eating canned or jar gravy. As a matter of fact about any gravy in a restaurant (at least the ones I can afford to go to) is going to be canned gravy. Not to many can afford to take the time to make real gravy. Probably very few even bake the roast or turkey and slice it. It to comes processed. I use it a lot. I like a jar of gravy even when I make French fries to dump on it. Flame on but I'm not beyond serving jar gravy on instant potatoes. Not every day I have the time to boil potatoes and mash them and make gravy from drippings. I wont say that the jar stuff is better, not by a long shot, but theres allways a couple jars in my cupboard. We eat canned corn peas and beans, canned mushrooms, canned speggetti sause and canned about everything these days. Not everyone has a garden they can pick out of 365 days a year. Id personaly rather have some venion cube steaks with canned gravy on them then store bought beef cube steaks with homemade gravy. Had some chicken fried venison cube steaks just like that last night on top of some instant mashed potatoes, canned gravy, along with a CAN of green beans cooked in butter with pamasean cheese out of a jar and durkeys dried onion and powdered garlic on top. Everything processed except the venison and it was pretty dang good if you ask me. Whole meal took about 15 minutes to make. big difference I see here is I actually cook. I'm retired and the wife still works every day. Id much rather have here bringing home a paycheck then making gravy. Most guys that stick there nose up in the air at canned food are guys that sit on the recliner while there wife cooks for them. By the way we usually buy heinz

shooterg
05-06-2018, 02:22 PM
I've always been the cook for the 33 years the bride and I've been together. Love the woman but if you tried her cooking you'd understand. However until I retired she did do the dishes. Now I got that chore too ! Paper plates are your friend.

It's hard these days to make good gravy(enough) at Thanksgiving and Christmas. We cook 2 birds and a breast minimum and ain't enough fat in these days Butterballs to do much with - usually cheat, use lard, flour and chicken broth seasoned to taste(lotsa pepper !). Everything is better with gravy - still dream about Sunday's at Grandmas - 2 chickens got decapitated every Saturday, every Sunday was roast chicken, cornbread stuffing and gravy ! My mouth is watering as we speak...

Same cheat when we cook a beef roast in the crockpot, little lard, flour, juice from the pot makes decent gravy.

But for sure store bought is better than NO gravy !

labradigger1
05-06-2018, 04:07 PM
How do you powder peanut butter????????????????? What is the world coming to.........

It’s called pb2 and a low carb pb. Not bad but not pb either. I went through a few jars when I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. Gotta watch the carbs too.

MaryB
05-06-2018, 09:25 PM
if you ever had a hot hamburger sandwich, roast beef and gravy sandwich or a turkey and gravy sandwich in a restaurant theres a 90 percent chance you're eating canned or jar gravy. As a matter of fact about any gravy in a restaurant (at least the ones I can afford to go to) is going to be canned gravy. Not to many can afford to take the time to make real gravy. Probably very few even bake the roast or turkey and slice it. It to comes processed. I use it a lot. I like a jar of gravy even when I make French fries to dump on it. Flame on but I'm not beyond serving jar gravy on instant potatoes. Not every day I have the time to boil potatoes and mash them and make gravy from drippings. I wont say that the jar stuff is better, not by a long shot, but theres allways a couple jars in my cupboard. We eat canned corn peas and beans, canned mushrooms, canned speggetti sause and canned about everything these days. Not everyone has a garden they can pick out of 365 days a year. Id personaly rather have some venion cube steaks with canned gravy on them then store bought beef cube steaks with homemade gravy. Had some chicken fried venison cube steaks just like that last night on top of some instant mashed potatoes, canned gravy, along with a CAN of green beans cooked in butter with pamasean cheese out of a jar and durkeys dried onion and powdered garlic on top. Everything processed except the venison and it was pretty dang good if you ask me. Whole meal took about 15 minutes to make. big difference I see here is I actually cook. I'm retired and the wife still works every day. Id much rather have here bringing home a paycheck then making gravy. Most guys that stick there nose up in the air at canned food are guys that sit on the recliner while there wife cooks for them. By the way we usually buy heinz

Idahoan Brand instant mashed potatoes aren't bad at all. Eat them a lot... cooking for 1 it is just easier than boiling 1 potato... I hate leftover mashed unless I plan on making potato pancakes so I rarely make them from scratch now.

Tatume
05-07-2018, 07:14 AM

Powdered Peanut Butter

Say what?

Yes

POWDERED peanut butter

Now back to the gravy......

People who need a high protein diet use it as an additive in foods, like drinks and soups.

Lloyd Smale
05-07-2018, 07:23 AM
Same here mary. Its just the two of us and I guess I'm to lazy to peel 3 potatoes, cook them then mash them when in 3 minutes I can have instant done. Not as good granted but when I'm cooking its take it or leave it. Real potatoes here other then holidays are either fried with onion or made into baked French fries.
Idahoan Brand instant mashed potatoes aren't bad at all. Eat them a lot... cooking for 1 it is just easier than boiling 1 potato... I hate leftover mashed unless I plan on making potato pancakes so I rarely make them from scratch now.

Lloyd Smale
05-07-2018, 07:30 AM
Same here. During the week when the wife works I cook she does dishes. On the weekends she cooks (sometimes) and I do dishes. Seems like most weekends were busy or at least she is so its the pizza place or hardeys. When I do get her to cook I think she does a poor job on purpose so I take the job away from her. I know she can cook! We dated for 2 years before she moved in and allways cooked me good meals at her house. Once she got the hook set she started complaining about how much she hates cooking. Had to chuckle when her oldest son was here one day and I was complaining that she about destroyed a venison roast and he said when they were young they about lived on cereal, pop tarts, frozen pizza and spegetti O's. One good thing is she knows better to turn her nose up on anything I cook. Even if its something she doesn't care for she manages to swallow it because the alternative is she has to cook. I actually enjoy cooking but have to put my foot down once in a while:drinks:
I've always been the cook for the 33 years the bride and I've been together. Love the woman but if you tried her cooking you'd understand. However until I retired she did do the dishes. Now I got that chore too ! Paper plates are your friend.

It's hard these days to make good gravy(enough) at Thanksgiving and Christmas. We cook 2 birds and a breast minimum and ain't enough fat in these days Butterballs to do much with - usually cheat, use lard, flour and chicken broth seasoned to taste(lotsa pepper !). Everything is better with gravy - still dream about Sunday's at Grandmas - 2 chickens got decapitated every Saturday, every Sunday was roast chicken, cornbread stuffing and gravy ! My mouth is watering as we speak...

Same cheat when we cook a beef roast in the crockpot, little lard, flour, juice from the pot makes decent gravy.

But for sure store bought is better than NO gravy !

375supermag
05-07-2018, 09:36 AM
Hi...
I urge everybody to buy as much of the McCormick gravy packets as they can afford.
My looming retirement and pension checks depend on it.

frankenfab
05-07-2018, 03:42 PM
+1 on the Idahoan potatoes. They are granulated instead of flakes, and come out so much better. Yes u can get a huge box at Sam's for around $5.50.

My favorite gravys are the various Great Value powdered gravy mixes from Walmart. I add butter, Cavender's, and bacon grease to them. The chicken gravy mix is my favorite.

Echo
05-07-2018, 05:44 PM
Sorry to be so ignorant, but - a roux - does one mix 50/50 flour/grease?

PbHurler
05-08-2018, 08:52 AM
Sorry to be so ignorant, but - a roux - does one mix 50/50 flour/grease?

Pretty much. When I make a roux for etoufee, I use about 4 TBLS flour to 4 TBLS peanut oil & constantly whisk / stir until brown to a peanut butter color.

mold maker
05-08-2018, 09:39 AM
Justin Willson used to brown his roux to the color of his shoes. I sure hope he didn't wear a pair of black ones.
I sure do miss the cajun cook.

texasnative46
05-08-2018, 05:38 PM
mold maker,

I GAR-ON-TEE that you are correct on the late/lamented Justin Wilson. = He is MISSED.

yours, tex

Rick N Bama
05-09-2018, 09:29 AM
+1 on the Idahoan potatoes. They are granulated instead of flakes, and come out so much better. Yes u can get a huge box at Sam's for around $5.50.

And yet another vote from me on the Idahoan. We have Potatoes so rarely around here these days (gotta watch the carbs) that we can't justify buying them. To me they're just about as good as the real thing. Jar Gravy doesn't have a place in our Cupboard!

popper
05-09-2018, 11:40 AM
Wife won't let me eat any gravy. She does make stuff that has the same contents, just not that nasty gravy. Yea, she was dietician.

Geezer in NH
05-11-2018, 04:01 PM
Some complainers here have never been to bed hungry as a normal day it seems.

Instant tatters or canned or dry brown gravy goes a long way to stem that problem.

MaryB
05-11-2018, 09:56 PM
Better Than Bouillon Beef and Chicken bases are a real saver in the kitchen! Want quick gravy they are as close to homemade as you will get. They are not an over salted cube, they are a paste and a must have in my kitchen. They make other flavors too. The turkey is okay, I haven't tried the ham(red eye gravy anyone?) or veggie base yet.

The beef is great for french dips. Heat a little water and stir it in and serve! I sometimes use it to make a mug of broth on a cold night too.

https://www.betterthanbouillon.com/products/

donald duck
05-12-2018, 08:02 AM
I just read all your comments on gravy. Us old mid western boys love our gravy over great biscuits. My two cents worth is to go to CRACKER BARREL and get your fix there. Let the little wife have a single pancake with blueberry sauce and her coffee. Keeps the kitchen clean and a peaceful day ahead. Try it, you will like it.

mold maker
05-12-2018, 04:10 PM
I had an Uncle Hershel breakfast with country ham and hash brown casserole, this morning.
Shared it with the Wife and brought some home to my little buddy. There was a bowl of canned gravy along with one of grits. The biscuit sopped ever last bit of the apple butter out of the cup.
It's a rare occasion that I feel spunky enough to navigate their country store with Mama in a wheelchair, but this morning was an exception. We're both still grinning.

Echo
05-12-2018, 07:02 PM
Justin Willson used to brown his roux to the color of his shoes. I sure hope he didn't wear a pair of black ones.
I sure do miss the cajun cook.

Me too "Son, there flies a dead duck"...