PDA

View Full Version : Lube expectancy

redgum
09-11-2008, 05:49 PM
I have always used a pan-lube method and more recently LLA .
I went and bought a Lyman 4500 and this is all new to me.
Can you guys give me a 'ball park' figure of how many bullets can I expect to lube with each stick of lube. (It came with Lyman's "orange-magic")
It is mainly being used for .38 158g swc and .45 230g rn

Cactus Farmer
09-11-2008, 06:01 PM
I think it will depend on the diameter of you boolit and how big the grease grooves are. I just make sure that I have spare lube handy so I can add it as I need it.
225415s don't use much but a 452 lyman thats number eludes me (single BIG grease groove) eats it like a Hoover.:Fire:

redgum
09-11-2008, 06:27 PM
hmmm.... it's just that it came with warnings not to screw the plunger down too hard when the lube chamber is empty or low.
I was wondering when to look out for that, and refill it.
(I have several more sticks of lube)
I might take the top off and have a peek in maybe

billyb
09-11-2008, 06:44 PM
the lubricator will need about a third of the first stick of lube to fill the nooks and craneys of the reservoir. when i start with a new luber i put a stick in and run the piston down to fill the machine then take the piston out an fill the machine. you will be able to lube several hundred 38's with a stick of lube. i pull the cap off and check to see how far down the piston is. i now use lars carnuba red lube. i melt the lube in a can and pour the lube in the reservoir after each use, that way the luber is ready for the next use. Bill

carpetman
09-11-2008, 06:45 PM
Redgum---Now you have a project. Install a lube low warning light. Never heard of such before,so I'm sure you'd be the first on your block to have one. Use what talent you have and with inputs from this board you should be able to come up with the design,possibly within the next 100 years.

dardascastbullets
09-12-2008, 04:52 PM
I have always used a pan-lube method and more recently LLA .
I went and bought a Lyman 4500 and this is all new to me.
Can you guys give me a 'ball park' figure of how many bullets can I expect to lube with each stick of lube. (It came with Lyman's "orange-magic")
It is mainly being used for .38 158g swc and .45 230g rn

You can calculate the amount of boolits that one stick of lube will lubricate by performing the following procedure....

1. Weigh the stick of lubricant (preferably in a unit that will be easy to use in the arithmetic to follow.
2. A general rule of thumb is that a .45 will use approximately 0.6 grains of lube and a .38 will use 0.5 grains of lube.

You now know the weight of the lube stick and the weight of the lube on one bullet. Divide the weight of the lube stick by the weight of one bullet's lube. (Both weight units have to be the same of course). The answer will give you the number of bullets that can be lubed with one lube stick.

Matt Dardas
Dardas Cast Bullets

John Boy
09-12-2008, 05:07 PM
A general rule of thumb is that a .45 will use approximately 0.6 grains of lube and a .38 will use 0.5 grains of lube.
Why not just weigh a naked bullet - lube it and then weigh it again.
As for total number of lubes ... the cylinder and H&I die holes will hold 'X' amount of unknown lube weight

Shiloh
09-12-2008, 05:16 PM
If you have one stick of lube to start the machine out with, and a spare lube stick, you will be lubing for a Long, long time. I can never fit a full stick into the Lyman 450.

Shiloh

runfiverun
09-12-2008, 11:21 PM
i run a star luber and i fill all my tubes with boolits then lube them all, then put in more lube
while i am whining that i need someone to fill my tubes for me.
then i lube some more.
but 3 to 500 is about what i figure on a stick of lube.