PDA

View Full Version : The way I was treated by RCBS

August
09-11-2008, 05:49 PM
My 38-55 Cowboy die set has been working perfectly for both the Marlin and the Hi-Wall, with the exception that the bullet seater plug is made for flat point bullets and severely distorts my Postell Long Range bullets by flattening the noses and even squashing down the whole bullet when I'm compressing Holy Black.

I called RCBS and they suggested their 400 grain Creedmore seater plug. The woman on the phone took my name and address and said the plug would be sent to me. I said I'd be pleased to pay for it and all she said was that it would be on its way in short order. Period.

I could not believe they would treat me in this way. I was fully expecting to leave ten to twenty bucks behind on the trail, but no, they are sending the plug gratis.

Is that the usual way they do business???? I've heard they're good, but I had no idea they provided that level of service.

carpetman
09-11-2008, 05:56 PM
Your story is not unusual for RCBS. Them charging you would be the unheard of story.

Don McDowell
09-11-2008, 06:54 PM
I've called RCBS twice about repair parts, once was my own stupidity, the other was a defect on their part, neither time cost me anything more than a phone call.

Muddy Creek Sam
09-11-2008, 07:00 PM
August,

Isn't it terrible when they mess you all up like that? :kidding:

Sam :-D

leadeye
09-11-2008, 07:11 PM
The seals went out in my 25 year old lube-a-matic so I called and asked what to order as I had long lost any paperwork that came with it to get a part number. They sent new seals the next day no charge.

I know that RCBS stuff is expensive but over the long term I think it pays off.

Castoff
09-11-2008, 08:42 PM
August,
I have dealt with RCBS for 40 years.
Besides making very high quality products, they have always had a strong "pro customer" and no quibbling service policy. I have never felt cheated when I deal with RCBS, but always that I have been dealt with more than fairly.

They make great products that work well and are not "over engineered" and overly complex .
Castoff

kmag
09-11-2008, 09:21 PM
August,
Years ago I moved and lost some parts for my RCBS press. Called them and they treated me the same. I offered to pay for the part, but they send them free. Can't beat their customer service.

Buckshot
09-12-2008, 02:50 AM
.............Carpetman is right. Long ago I had lost the screws that hold the handle on the powder drum of their powder measure. I called to find out the thread. They told me but in a few days I also got 2 in the mail.

More recently but still several years back ,my Gyrene cousin discarded in my direction a 3 gallon pail of LC 83 223 once fired range pickup brass. I managed to bend the case support rod in the RCBS primer crimp remover tool. It's super hard and once bent it's impossible to straighten it. The lady at RCBS said they'd send another, and I said I was paying for it but she said no they'd just send it along.

Well ya know, standing behind your equipment is one thing, and refreshing at that. But replacing stuff rendered useless or broken through improper or ham fisted operation is another thing entirely. I told her that in no way would I accept it gratis, and that in fact I wanted to order 2 of'em. We had a minor skirmish but she eventually took my card number.

...............Buckshot

missionary5155
09-12-2008, 09:33 AM
Ya know looking back over all the broken stuff several companies have replaced I am gonna say "We are Blessed to have so many Companies that take GOOD care of us !!!"

unclebill
09-12-2008, 10:03 AM
i bent a decapping rod and it was entirely my fault.
berdan brass killed it (well that and my stupidity)
they sent me another full length comp. dies set for free.
i couldn't believe it.
those things are pricey.

Catshooter
09-12-2008, 03:14 PM
I bought a used RCBS Piggyback press at a show. Needed eight of the small parts. Called RCBS and they refused payment.

It's their normal customer service policy.

Could you imagine if an airline, auto or phone company had that sort of attitude toward us!?!

Cat

Morgan Astorbilt
09-12-2008, 07:24 PM
I broke two new style decapping pins within ten minutes, and called them up to complain. A whole pack of pins was on it's way gratis. I then went down to the shop, and found that a few spent primers had gotten into the brass I was decapping, breaking the pins. I got back on the phone, to explain, and although I got a different rep., He laughed and said it happens all the time.
I'm sure glad they're continuing the policies set by Fred Huntington.
Morgan

TNsailorman
09-12-2008, 09:11 PM
I have several times hamfisted primer pins, forgot to lube a case that got stuck and had to survey the primer unit to get it back out, etc. Each and every time RCBS has replaced the parts and even though I tried to pay for them, they refused to take my credit card. I even bought a used .38 special sizing die that did not have a decapping pin in it and they replaced that free of charge. I keep buying their equipment for a reason. James

Just Duke
09-12-2008, 10:17 PM
Same with me.

monadnock#5
09-12-2008, 11:09 PM
When it comes to RCBS I'm with NV Curmudgeon. I have a couple yellow die boxes, several red die boxes and a whole bunch of green boxes! RCBS is TOPS.

jimkim
09-13-2008, 08:04 AM
RCBS reminds me of Rolls Royce. Years ago a cousin of mine had bought a RR. He began having engine trouble. He contacted the dealer. They contacted RR. Well RR sent the man that built the engine to his house. He worked on it for several days and left. My cousin waited and waited for a repair bill. After a couple of months of waiting upon the dreaded bill he contacted RR. When he asked about the charges they asked "What charges". He said "for the engine repairs". They said "Sir you must be mistaken, Rolls Royces don't have engine trouble".
Now this happened in the seventies so I don't know if they still do that or not. What I do know is we have two companies here in America that will take care of their customers. RCBS and Dillon. I wish they were all like that.

dromia
09-13-2008, 10:23 AM
RCBS is a fine company, they do stand by their products and being across the pond is no problem for them.

legend
09-13-2008, 01:02 PM
a long time ago and far far away my #2 wife was leaveing me and on her way out the door she thought it would be great to mess with me somemore...
she took all the decaping stems out of my die sets,lee,lyman,rcbs.
rcbs replaced them on the spot,lee wanted X-dollars,lyman the same...
guess who has had all my business since....great products...great company.

thats my 3cents (inflation you know)

Jim
09-13-2008, 02:56 PM
RCBS- Real Customer Based Standards

zampilot
09-13-2008, 03:26 PM
I've never dealt with any company that comes close to RCBS' absolute top notch servce.

dukenukum
09-13-2008, 03:43 PM
I dropped my .357 mag f.l die and they replaced it no charge how can you bellyache about service like that ?

Tom W.
09-13-2008, 05:06 PM
I think they keep my name and address on their computer. I've blown seals on my LAM, bent and broken decapping spindles, and in general done a bunch of stupid stuff that was all my fault, and have yet to be charged for a replacement part.

EDG
09-13-2008, 07:08 PM
RCBS has been taking care of my requests like that for nearly 40 years.
The last time was about a year ago. A friend of mine died and the family gave me his loading stuff including an RCBS digital scale less the pan. I explained to RCBS that I needed to buy another pan and they sent me one free.
I never complain about RCBS' prices. I have a mountain of their stuff and I rarely have problems with any of it. I also find the interior dimensions of their sizing dies to be the most consistently accurately matched to cartridge chambers of any brand.

buck1
09-14-2008, 12:35 PM
A fine group of folks at RCBS..