PDA

View Full Version : nose first sizing lube??

porthos
05-01-2018, 09:32 AM
i know this has been posted before; but, i forgot. i,m going to try some nose first sizing on "dry" bullets. what can i use for a lube before i run them into a oversize die for final lube??

RedlegEd
05-01-2018, 09:39 AM
Hi. I usually just use the lanolin & alcohol spray case lube. It cleans off easily and works well. Ed

Kraschenbirn
05-01-2018, 09:46 AM
I use electrician's wire-pulling lube when sizing the noses of my bore riders. Squirt some on a piece of old towel and roll the boolits across it like lubing cases on an RCBS lube pad. The stuff I've got (Gardner-Bender Wire Aide) is water-soluble and comes right off during final cleaning before applying PC.

Bill

mdi
05-01-2018, 11:54 AM
Actually almost everything that will make your bullets "slick" has been used from alox to lanolin to Vaseline and STP. I use the same lube on my bullets to be sized as I use for sizing rifle brass; Mink Oil Boot Dressing Cream.

Larry Gibson
05-01-2018, 11:56 AM
Hi. I usually just use the lanolin & alcohol spray case lube. It cleans off easily and works well. Ed

+1....it's what I use.

earlmck
05-01-2018, 06:54 PM
If you have a well-polished size die and aren't sizing a great amount you may not need any lube at all. I used to size/gas-check my boolits before powder coating. Then I found that my rifles seem to shoot best if I gas check after powder coating, but as I say -- I used to successfully size them totally dry. I used Lathesmith's dies in my Star sizer for this.

tazman
05-01-2018, 07:58 PM
I also usually size my pistol bullets dry. Unless you are needing to reduce the size by a large amount making sizing really difficult or running super hard lead, you really don't need lube. My sizing dies for this are Lee push through dies and so far they have never had any lead stick to them after thousands of rounds.
Occasionally I will need to size a few boolits smaller after I have tumble lube them. Having the lube on there may make it slightly easier but I am not certain it does.
Super hard boolits and needing to reduce the size by a large amount needs all the help it can get. In those instances, lube is needed.