PDA

View Full Version : 45 Colt load for 20ga rifled inserts

MotelAlpha
04-23-2018, 09:13 PM
Folks, Just got my pair of Uberti 45 colt inserts for my 20ga sxs. They appear to be quite well made and fir very well. The rifling portion is about 4.75 inches in length. Was thinking of using up some of my 45 acp cast bullets .452 230 grains or some 300 grainers using 4227. I want to be around 950 to 1050 fps. Anyone have any experience with these inserts and loads? Thanks

Chihuahua Floyd
04-24-2018, 08:46 AM
Did not know Uberti made inserts. Guess it's time to check their web site.
CF

MotelAlpha
04-24-2018, 09:14 AM
I bought these off of Optics Planet, and made for the Chiappa break-open survival rifle/shotgun

Snow ninja
04-24-2018, 09:18 AM
I gotta quit hanging out here, you all have too many bright ideas. Now I need a SxS .45 Colt. I've got a single action, a double action, and lever; didn't even think of a SxS...

MotelAlpha
04-24-2018, 02:53 PM
I have a nice 20ga sxs, and have been shooting slugs. It will shoot a four inch group at 50 yards, So I put some front and rear sight on it and whala a poor mans double rifle in 45 Colt with the inserts. Ought to at least take the 20,000 psi level II for sure. Thats why I want to fool with bigger bullets to see if it will shoot (regulate) to the 4 inch or better group

gwpercle
04-24-2018, 05:31 PM
For the 410/45 Colt insert , it goes into a 12 gauge shotgun , I use standard 45 Colt handgun loading data. That works just fine for me. The insert I bought at a garage sale 30-40 years ago and it came with no instructions or directions. It is simply marked 410-3 in./45 Colt , is stainless steel, 10-12 inches long and smooth bored. Since there is no rifling in the insert the 45 Colt loads are not for long range target shooting. But fun to play with.
Gary

GooseGestapo
05-07-2018, 05:52 PM
Where did you get the inserts?
Link?
I’ve only seen .22Hornet, .218Bee, .22rf, and .30/30 adapters.
Outfit in Alaska makes them with up to 10”bbl.

Found them! $43 plus shipping!

GooseGestapo
05-07-2018, 06:19 PM
First of all, the inserts are for .45ACP, not .45Colt.

I would use a 200gr SWC. I get really good accuracy from several platforms with it. With Acc#5, I get 900+fps from 5”bbl. Not even a max load. Closer to start load.

harvester
05-10-2018, 09:30 PM
I have heard these work pretty good, lots of options. https://www.gunadapters.com/rifled-adapters/

gpidaho
05-10-2018, 09:59 PM
I've bought a few shotgun adapters from the folks at the link above (Short Lane) They do work well. Gp

bedbugbilly
05-11-2018, 07:59 AM
I've been thinking about picking up a cheaper single barrel 20 gauge to play with. I didn't realize all of these adapters were available so thanks for the post - interesting.

NOW - I HAVE A STUPID QUESTION

I went to the link above and it appears to me that the adapter is held in to the chamber by means of O rings .. . but it looks like the rear of the adapter has a solid rim? Say . . . just like a 20 gauge shell would have on it. So here's the question .. .what happens whine open the action - does the extractor kick out the adapter? Of how does it work. How about casing extraction from the adapter - by fingernail? I would only be shooting mild loads but am curious about those two things.

Thanks.

Jim

T-Bird
05-11-2018, 08:32 AM
Dang! Something else that I "need"!

mac60
05-11-2018, 08:51 AM
I've been thinking about picking up a cheaper single barrel 20 gauge to play with. I didn't realize all of these adapters were available so thanks for the post - interesting.

NOW - I HAVE A STUPID QUESTION

I went to the link above and it appears to me that the adapter is held in to the chamber by means of O rings .. . but it looks like the rear of the adapter has a solid rim? Say . . . just like a 20 gauge shell would have on it. So here's the question .. .what happens whine open the action - does the extractor kick out the adapter? Of how does it work. How about casing extraction from the adapter - by fingernail? I would only be shooting mild loads but am curious about those two things.

Thanks.

Jim

The breach of the adapter does have a rim and o-rings to properly align it in the chamber of the shotgun. When the action of the shotgun is opened - if the gun is equipped with an ejector, it will eject (or attempt to eject) the adapter. If the gun has an extractor the adapter will be extracted. Extraction of the fired case from the adapter is done with your fingernail - I suppose you could use some kind of tool, however your fingernail will suffice. I currently have two 12 ga. adapters, one in .45 acp and one in .45 Colt. Here's a picture of the breach end showing the scallop used to get your fingernail under the rim of the cartridge. .45 acp on the left and .45 Colt on the right.

Here's a $99.00 shotgun that I use with the adapters I have.

It was rough as a cob when it came out of the box, but it was a fun project to refinish and modify it to make it more suitable for use with the adapters. The extractor is very easy to remove/replace and since it does have a vent rib, it's a simple matter to add some sights or even a scope. I've removed the extractor so it doesn't disturb the adapter when the action is opened and changed the o-rings in an attempt to improve accuracy a little.

bedbugbilly
05-11-2018, 06:07 PM
mac60 - thanks so much for the information and photos - that helps a lot and answers my questions - greatly appreciate it!

I know where there are several of the H & R single barrel 20 gauge "Pardner" shotguns - that is what I had in mind. I thin it would be a fun project to re-do one, shorten the barrel down a bit, add sights, etc. and then get a couple of the inserts in several calibers that I reload. I wouldn't be expecting pinpoint accuracy but would be fun for plinking as well as a car gun to carry at times when out in the boondocks, etc. I hadn't thought abut removing the ejector but that looks like an easy enough thing to do.

Your "project" looks great and I'll bet it was a lot of fun to work on! Thanks again for the info and pictures - they really helped!

Jim

gpidaho
05-11-2018, 06:19 PM
BB: If a case is a little too tight to remove with a finger nail, I have a short wooden dowel along and simply remove the insert and punch it out. Also I've bought three break barrel shotguns from Bud's in the last few months and the Rossi's or Savage-Stevens guns are very economical. With the added girth of the insert plus the shotgun chamber I use the adapters as a test for 9mm & 40 S&W when I stray from published data. Fun plinking units. Gp

mac60
05-11-2018, 07:57 PM
mac60 - thanks so much for the information and photos - that helps a lot and answers my questions - greatly appreciate it!

I know where there are several of the H & R single barrel 20 gauge "Pardner" shotguns - that is what I had in mind. I thin it would be a fun project to re-do one, shorten the barrel down a bit, add sights, etc. and then get a couple of the inserts in several calibers that I reload. I wouldn't be expecting pinpoint accuracy but would be fun for plinking as well as a car gun to carry at times when out in the boondocks, etc. I hadn't thought abut removing the ejector but that looks like an easy enough thing to do.

Your "project" looks great and I'll bet it was a lot of fun to work on! Thanks again for the info and pictures - they really helped!

Jim

You're most welcome Jim. The ejector is a little more difficult to remove on the H&R guns, but certainly not something you can't figure out. To me, it was a nice little project - though I admit it doesn't appeal to a lot of people. Hope you have fun with it.