PDA

View Full Version : Earth day

frank505
04-22-2018, 07:08 PM
Today is Earth day and coincidentally lenins birthday. I'm sure there's no connection.
So we puttered up the mountain to shoot a picket pin. Alas none out yet. So I shot a tree to celebrate. Just returning naturally occurring minerals back to mother Earth.....

Tom W.
04-22-2018, 07:15 PM
I was still in high school, either a junior or senior up in Saugerties, N.Y. on the first earth day...at least I think it was. I thought it was pretty silly with people walking around with surgeons masks and black arm bands.

WILCO
04-22-2018, 07:17 PM
http://www.nbcnews.com/id/42711922/ns/technology_and_science-science/t/earth-day-co-founder-killed-composted-girlfriend/#.Wt0X0GOG-1s

kayala
04-22-2018, 07:47 PM
http://www.nbcnews.com/id/42711922/ns/technology_and_science-science/t/earth-day-co-founder-killed-composted-girlfriend/#.Wt0X0GOG-1s

Well he composted - as earthly as it gets :D

B.C.Jay
04-22-2018, 08:06 PM
I had a beer or two.

Does that count?

Bohica793
04-22-2018, 08:06 PM
My wife and I were married on Earth Day 40 years ago today....except we didn't know (or care) it was Earth Day.

popper
04-22-2018, 08:07 PM
Also peak of the meteor shower - but cloudy here.

Minerat
04-22-2018, 08:30 PM
Was shooting ground rats one Earth day near Rocky Flats when 2 Jeffco Deputies rolled up and asked what I was doing. Had landowner permission so no problem but they asked if I'd mind stopping cause it was Earth day. We had a good laugh when they told me why. They thought there might be a problem with the protester that were expected at the nuke plant that morning. I agreed just to save them some hassle. Had already shot up that town anyway.

waksupi
04-23-2018, 12:51 AM
I drove up the mountain to see the fine logging job going on. Well over a hundred loads of logs sitting on the decks ready to be hauled. Fire danger is now greatly reduced, hope they finish the section soon.
Thought about burning a pile of old tires in the spirit of the day, but didn't get around to it.

dale2242
04-23-2018, 07:31 AM
We turned 300 or so sage rats to compost on Earth day.
Ashes to ashes. Dust to mist....dale

crowbuster
04-23-2018, 08:30 AM
In keeping with the theme I shot 1 fat groundhog and went on to cut, split, haul an ash tree for next yrs firewood. Wish I had known it was earthday, I would have done something special

Hickok
04-23-2018, 08:55 AM
God almighty made the earth. I celebrate Him, and His Son and His Holy Spirit!

RogerDat
04-23-2018, 09:00 AM
I celebrated no major rivers caught fire, and that there is no longer an advisory to not eat any Great Lakes fish only an advisory on how much Great Lakes fish one can eat without health risk. While I no longer canoe the local rivers it is nice when one goes to the parks on the river banks to not see raw sewage floating past.

I know it is "politically correct" in some circles to make fun of earth day but a lot of good came from that original bunch of hippies. If you spent a lifetime enjoying the outdoors as many of us have things like clean water and wise stewardship of the streams and wet lands. I see the local farm fields keeping the ground in cover over the winter and with buffers left untilled to control runoff and see that as a good thing for both the environment and the farmer.

Ted Nugent once discussed concentric circles of conservation. The center left as wilderness, providing a core of bio diversity and wild game breeding. The next circle out foot travel only, pack in and pack out. Next circle provides limited access camping (roads and camp sites only & no ORV's) hiking and mountain bike usage. Then outer ring for ORV and broad car access including day use. I guess if Ted is in favor of conservation and wise use I'm in good company. I never heard him speak directly to Dow Midland dumping directly into the river but I know most folks didn't think it should be allowed.

trebor44
04-23-2018, 10:10 AM
Earth Day, one of many diversions devised by those who like to keep us in line or powerless. While there are many good things that came from it and the concepts of protection for the environment it does have it's extremes and extreme participants (believers or non-believers etc.) I don't participate in a pro or con awareness of "Earth Day" simply because it is akin to going to church on Sunday and asking or pretending to atone for your sins or behavior of the other past or previous days. Every day is important not just one!

jimlj
04-23-2018, 10:56 AM
When I was an electrical contractor I saved my scrap insulated copper wire and have a burn on earth day to celebrate.

robg
04-23-2018, 11:01 AM
When out in the countryside I was always taught to leave no trace of your presence when you left .is that earth enough?

condorjohn
04-23-2018, 11:22 AM
The Izaak Walton League celebrates Earth Day 24/7

RogerDat
04-23-2018, 12:36 PM
When I was an electrical contractor I saved my scrap insulated copper wire and have a burn on earth day to celebrate. Probably not. I live in a rural location but they will sure ticket the snot out of you if they catch you burning plastic off of wire. And with the smell fair to middling chance someone down wind will call it in since it won't smell like wood/yard waste or garbage which some burn.

I seem to recall there was some question about scrap yard taking it too at least over toward Novi area. Co-worker tried same thing. There were some issues. I didn't pay much attention to.

With a little work to create a reducer and a chimney stack one can kick off a re-burn. That secondary burn and the higher temps mean the toxic smoke is pretty much incinerated. Some make them for trash and they sound like a jet engine. No smoke and no smell.

Same general standard here, enjoy it but don't destroy it for the next person. As kids we were taught to walk the campsite in a sweep looking for any and all trash as the final step of breaking camp. Taught our kids the same thing. Doesn't matter how the trash got there it leaves with us.

Izaak Walton League is a good example of how sportsmen act as good stewards. Lot of conservation groups have a strong hunting constituency, or hunting groups have a strong conservation constituency. Few people have as little tolerance for people trashing the woods as hunters, anglers and backpackers.

Hick
04-23-2018, 08:21 PM
Local mine trucks celebrate Earth Day their own way-- Bumper stickers that say Earth First!... we'll mine the rest later...

JonB_in_Glencoe
04-23-2018, 09:01 PM
I smelted some range scrap (and other lead alloys) yesterday.
I got to the wheel weights today...heck, I may make a week of this celebration.

just a side note (for conservation purposes): As the fire on my coleman camp stove went out (at supper time)...that was the end of one gallon of gas used in these last two days, about 520 lbs of ingots made.

rl69
04-23-2018, 09:13 PM
I had a beer or two.

Does that count?

Tree hugging hippy