PDA

View Full Version : Couch Potato????

abunaitoo
04-22-2018, 05:10 PM
Ever wondered where the term came from?????

From couch +‎ potato; coined by Tom Iacino in 1976 as a pun on "boob tuber" (boob tube (“television”) and tuber (“potato”)); trademarked by Robert Armstrong from 1976–91.

I get boob tube, TV, but don't get tuber.
The tuber is the root of a potato plant.
I'm kind of a couch potato. Like to watch TV and computer.

SciFiJim
04-22-2018, 08:49 PM
I always figured it was the shape (potato) one became after sitting on the couch for too long.

blackthorn
04-23-2018, 10:55 AM
I always figured it was the shape (potato) one became after sitting on the couch for too long.

^^^^^ This plus the fact that a potato don't do much of anything except just lay there.

Wayne Smith
04-23-2018, 12:59 PM
^^^^^ This plus the fact that a potato don't do much of anything except just lay there.

HA! You obviously never microwaved one without punching a hole in the skin!

mold maker
04-23-2018, 03:44 PM
Ya think a microwaved whole potato is a blast, try an egg. I had to throw the convection/microwave oven away.

45workhorse
04-23-2018, 10:44 PM

Hey, I resemble that remark:razz:

Bent Ramrod
04-24-2018, 10:41 AM
Armstrong’s cartoon of the Couch Potato showed the typical shapeless lump sprawled on a sofa with the normal dozen or so potato eyes redrawn as human eyes, raptly focused on the TV screen. Pretty apt image.

I dig out my Underground Comix occasionally and try to read them. They’re definitely for young eyes, and many of them don’t seem as funny now that I’m an old geezer. I still laugh at Armstrong’s character Dizzy Ratstein, the whacked-out Be-Bop jazz player, though.

lightman
04-24-2018, 10:50 AM
Some days I'm one. I try to stay as active as possible but some days my MS kicks my tail and I just don't have any energy. I've learned the hard way to take it easy on those days.