PDA

View Full Version : Who, What, When and WHY

Smoke4320
04-21-2018, 10:32 AM
as I have posted several times now I was born in Germany. Raised mostly in the states, to a German mother and an American father (whos Grandparents and as far as we can trace are German).
In either case my mother is 83. She has lived in the states since the early 60's and knows her time is limited on earth.
She asked me If I would drive her around the lower west side of Germany for her last time..
We flew in Frankfort on 4/10. Rented a BMW 340I and drove for 918 miles. As much back roads as possible to Mainz, Schwetzingen, ULM, Aselshofen, Fussen. Then into Ruette (Austria) over to Switzerland, Up to Schoenwald (in the Black Forest) Then over the Rhine into France (following the Rhine till back into Germany, then up to Boppard Germany and back to Mainz and then Frankford.
8 days of driving .. stopping at many little towns to look at houses and walk the streets. visit the old churches and castles..
Most of the places we stayed were 200 to 400 plus years old.
We visited the Graves of my Grandfather and Grandmother in Koblenz layed her last set of flowers and said some prayers

when my head returns to normal I will share some pics .. suffering a little jet lag for sure

First 2 pics are the main square in Boppard .. Pay special attention to the shot down the street in the first pic .. That's a reg size street in MOST towns especially in the old sections of town.. there are tables chairs people ect and the street could be as little as 8 ft -12 ft wide and handles 2 way traffic
The last pic is in Mainz old part of Town 9 streets come together in the old main square
218832 218833 218834

62chevy
04-21-2018, 10:37 AM
Awesome job of honoring your mother's request.

bedbugbilly
04-21-2018, 11:18 AM
You followed the commandment that unfortunately, many do not nor do many even know .. . . "honor they father and they mother" . . . . I'm sure that your mother was so appreciative of you taking her and you will always have that memory of those special moments with her. I'm sure there were a lot of "heart tugging" moments, as well as tears, along the way. The photos are great - hope you'll post more as it's really interesting to see the things you point out. One thing that really sticks out to me in your photos is how clean the streets are (i.e. no trash, etc.) and how well kept the buildings are . . . . some places here could sure learn from that! You're a good man . . . . .

Smoke4320
04-21-2018, 11:42 AM
OK have to share a funny story
as we are in the landing descent 30-40 miles out still over Belgium, sky is crystal clear, I am looking out the window at the farm land.. All the fields are normal shaped .. IE whatever the borders are that's what gets plowed and planted. As soon as we hit Germany I started laughing. every field was cut into perfect squares or triangles. The irregular borders are left and cut as lawn field or border.. THERE MUST BE ORDER... Oh how many times I have lived that in my life

OH there shall be NO trash in the streets..
Even spookier is to be in a Hotel with 20-30 rooms and NOT a SOUND will be heard. other than the very occasional bag wheel rolling down the hall. You are EXPECTED to be quiet at all times inside.. Even at breakfast if talking you WILL BE in a hushed tone as to not disturb the other guests at the next table
now in the Evening at a "beer garden" we are talking a different story

NOW for pics of the Rhine Again NO trash to be seen

218838 218839

popper
04-21-2018, 11:47 AM
It's pretty, spent a couple weeks in Melsungen several years back. Quaint and the old part of town was from the 11th Century. Construction was interesting. Kassel was very interesting, much old and new combined. And good phieffersteak too.

Echo
04-21-2018, 12:21 PM
Ditto! I could not have said it better!
:)

Plus One...

Smoke4320
04-21-2018, 12:33 PM
heres a couple of a very old fort in Koblenz that's been made into a WW2 war memorial inside

Smoke4320
04-21-2018, 12:37 PM
And here is another town street pic .. Again see tables chairs and even trees in the way of 2 way traffic and very narrow street
Heres a good one Look closely over the door is placard . House was built in 1776

Smoke4320
04-21-2018, 01:08 PM
the ALPS up close and Personal

my view out the Hotel Window in Fussen Germany Bordering the ALPS
and the crazy kings castle at the base of the ALPS
He tried to build 3 castles almost bankrupting the state of Bavaria till the money keeper drown him
Neuschwanstein Castle Fussen Germany

Petrol & Powder
04-21-2018, 01:14 PM
Smoke4320 - You are to be commended for honoring the wishes of your mother. I'm sure that trip meant more to her than you will ever know.
Germany, particularly Bavaria, is one of the most beautiful places on earth and I have a deep admiration and respect for the German people.

"We must have Order" :-o is often used as a comical line when describing the Germans but it is a way of life and not a bad one.

kenyerian
04-21-2018, 01:18 PM
Thanks for sharing.

Hickory
04-21-2018, 01:29 PM
He tried to build 3 castles almost bankrupting the state of Bavaria till the money keeper drown him.

Oh, if we could only do that here in the US!

Tom W.
04-21-2018, 01:32 PM
I had a friend and his wife from England whose son was a place kicker for The University of Alabama. One day she told her husband she had to get back to England to see some kind and look around. Mr. Trodd bought tickets and made reservations and such and they went. She must have known something, as she passed away just before they were scheduled to fly back...

Smoke4320
04-21-2018, 04:41 PM
One more for the day
I tell people about this and they always think I am lying
In a hotel kids play room .. anyone can come it and purchase any age anytime
Look closely and you will see beer .. 2 kinds for 2.50 euro .. current exchange rate makes it is approx. $3.25 for a cold beer anyone anytime

PS water with gas means with carbonation

Maven
04-21-2018, 06:17 PM
Been to Fuessen and Neuschwanstein with my son years ago. Beautiful country and excellent beer! Btw, you can get King Ludwig Hefeweizen [beer] on occasion here in NY + it's not a bad beer for the money.

reddog81
04-21-2018, 06:18 PM
Look closely and you will see beer .. 2 kinds for 2.50 euro .. current exchange rate makes it is approx. $3.25 for a cold beer anyone anytime

PS water with gas means with carbonation

I was in Germany for the first time last year and in some stores you had to hunt for water that didn't contain carbonation. We bought the carbonated water a couple of time on the trip and ended throwing it out. I can't imagine drinking that stuff. One thing odd about the drink pricing is that beer is relatively cheap and pop is fairly expensive. There were some places where they cost the same. Works out well if you don't mind a beer with each meal.

MT Gianni
04-21-2018, 07:38 PM
On the recommendation of a friend I walked into a McDonalds in Rome to see the menu. It also had the most ornate bathroom in a McDonalds. Yep, two beers on tap or soda with your meals. I had better things to eat in Italy than US fast food.
Great thing to do for your mom.

Smoke4320
04-21-2018, 07:39 PM
Been to Fuessen and Neuschwanstein with my son years ago. Beautiful country and excellent beer! Btw, you can get King Ludwig Hefeweizen [beer] on occasion here in NY + it's not a bad beer for the money.
Hefeweizen s good when you can see the wheat floating throughout the beer and COLD

osteodoc08
04-21-2018, 08:04 PM
What an awesome and heartfelt story. Just got off the phone with my mother. Thank you for reminding me family should be the most important part of our lives.

lightman
04-21-2018, 08:38 PM
Awesome job and cool pictures!

Ballistics in Scotland
04-22-2018, 05:16 AM
the ALPS up close and Personal
and the crazy kings castle at the base of the ALPS
He tried to build 3 castles almost bankrupting the state of Bavaria till the money keeper drown him
Neuschwanstein Castle Fuessen Germany

Ah, Neuschwanstein, as copied by Walt Disney! Ludwig was unquestionably as cracked as the Liberty Bell, but probably not certifiably insane by modern standards. He built castles from his own fortune and irresponsible borrowing, not tax revenue. The doctors who certified him insane had never met him, and it was part of his deposition from the throne for immensely complex political reasons. Bismarck thought it was a shady business, and a lifestyle which ruled out a son and heir probably contributed to it. He was ruled to have committed suicide and didn't actually leave a note signed "the dead guy", but everything else about it was suspicious.

Part of his intention, though, was to provide work for Bavarian workers, and great artists. It may be a fault in me, but I loved the place. The inside is if anything more flamboyant than the outside, with marvellous craftsmanship, and artwork which, if you don't mind a medieval world and Teutonic chivalry which never really existed, is the pinnacle of realism in the days before artists realised they had to leave off what the camera could do better.

I remember sitting in the café halfway up the winding approach road, with two German twin sisters and the boyfriend of one of them. There were a couple of American families there, obviously military, discussing the good and bad points of Germans in carrying voices. The sum total wasn't offensive, but you could have picked out some outrageous moments - just about the way you might talk about anywhere. They didn't realise that those Germans had driven around the US and understood English about as well as anybody, as indeed I do myself. What struck me was that not for a moment did the Germans' expression give away their understanding. You very often can't tell what they are thinking. It wasn't entirely a joke when they called the boyfriend "Prussian", either.

My German mother-in-law (no relation of the above) is ninety this summer, and has just had a cleaning out and full-length stent insertion in her femoral artery. She out-recovered young things of fifty, and when they called her back in to rehab to learn to walk again, she said she was very grateful, as she was only managing a couple of hours at a time. She is rather tiny and very frail, but you can still see the twelve-year-old who was told membership of the Bund Deutsche Mädel (the female Hitler Youth) was compulsory, and said "No".

When my own mother was in her early eighties she had some money, and I suggested she should squander some of it on riotous living. "Go up in an aeroplane" I suggested, and her first reaction was to ask if it would have windows. I said it would, and I was sure we could arrange a window seat if she wanted one. But it emerged that she had flown as a passenger with Sir Alan Cobham's Flying Circus in 1932, and it wouldn't be the same with windows. She flew from the same field where my grandfather saw Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show on September 12, 1904. Here is the poster, exactly where he saw it, and as it was a one-day visit, all I don't know is whether he saw the morning or afternoon performance. He was most disappointed that Miss Oakley wasn't on that tour.

Smoke4320
04-22-2018, 06:21 AM
Looks like a few pics did not transfer correctly
Will try to fix that this evening of tomorrow along with a few more

Smoke4320
04-22-2018, 08:53 AM
Well just got a copy of the rental car invoice
We actually drove 918 miles in 8 days

robg
04-22-2018, 09:06 AM
Southern Germany is beautiful .been there a few times .wish people here would keep our street free of rubbish.

Smoke4320
04-22-2018, 09:56 AM
Robg.
I agree. I get so tired of picking up peoples trash from my ditchline.
Seeing absolutely clean streets, roadways ditchlines and walkways just adds to the refreshing views

Smoke4320
04-22-2018, 03:09 PM
OK feeling a little more like myself today

believe all the previous pics are now correct

More to come as time permits .. car/tank and military guys hang on I have a few good ones for you too

for the HISTORY Buffs
218958 218959 218960218961 218962 218963

read the description in the second pic .. Its puts history in perspective

Smoke4320
04-22-2018, 04:11 PM
Sinsheim Technik Museum
This says it better than I can
Welcome to the Technik Museum Sinsheim – which offers a unique variety of technology, unparalleled worldwide, just an hour south of Frankfurt. Embark on a journey through time and discover the milestones of technical history: How red does the red colour of a Ferrari gleam? What record did the Blue Flame set? What is the cubic capacity of the Brutus experimental vehicle? How big is the largest dance hall organ in the world, and who has really got the edge? The Tupolev or the Concorde? In addition to the supersonic jets and other aircraft that you can walk right up to, there is even more: hundreds of elegant vintage cars, motorcycles high in horsepower, racy sports cars, colourful dragsters, powerful agricultural machines, Formula-1 legends, nostalgic racing bikes, huge steam locomotives, extensive militaria, special exhibitions and vehicle conventions – for fans, by fans.
You could easily send 3 or 4 days and not see everything

Running out of time ....I will post these in the morning

This is a small taste of what's to come

219021 219022 219023 219024

How would you like to work on this turbo

Dryball
04-23-2018, 01:11 AM
Smoke, are there still armed military at Frankfort Main? The first time I was there was shortly after the bombing and remember repairs (ongoing) and the military. While at Ludwig's Castle...I was tired and wanted to sit down. Well, I found a comfy looking chair that wasn't roped off and took a rest. I didn't understand German but I sure found out I didn't need to. It seems that I had sat in one of Ludwig's chairs. I am glad you got to give your mom that wonderful gift.

Smoke4320
04-23-2018, 06:37 AM
dryball yes .. talking to some locals they are more hidden through out the airport at all times .. If they have a threat they come out in force from all over .. the police with machine guns and german shepherds did not greet us on the planes off ramps as they did in the past
Did see a couple at customs and several at baggage drop off

OK I posted several F1 car pics in the post above and more to come

Smoke4320
04-23-2018, 06:49 AM
From same Sinsheim Tech Museum .. Planes Outside

Smoke4320
04-23-2018, 06:51 AM
and more later

Lloyd Smale
04-23-2018, 06:52 AM
man that's cool. Ive never been there but both sides of my family trace there roots back to east Germany. Both sides left and came here when hitler first came into power. My mothers side were Lehmans (obviously jewish) funny thing is there all catholic. Never asked my grandparents why there parents became catholic but my ma says she remembers her grandpa talking that jewish people even here at the time were prejudiced against after being persecuted in Germany so badly they wanted to start here with a clean slate so went to a catholic church for show and practiced there jewish faith at home. I laugh because it bugs my ma when we even talk about here jewish blood! Dads side supposedly traced its roots back to a world war 1 german soldier that defected and came here. (would have been my great grandpa) He died shortly after coming here. Ive seen no real proof of the story but that's the way my grandma allways told it. Allways seemed odd that my ma and dad were such a mix. A man who traces back to the german army and a women that traces back to persecuted jews. I dearly love to go over there and look up some of my relatives. Nobody kept track of anyone over there. A defector usually hides and the jews who came here didn't look back.

Ballistics in Scotland
04-23-2018, 09:39 AM
I once saw a prisoner of war movie where a guard is trying to make civilised conversation about his home in Hamburg and a British pilot said "Yes, I believe it is a beautiful city. A lot of open space... " Most British people would consider that a rather heartless remark. Pilots in particular were pretty well treated in the camps, possibly because one saving grace of fat Hermann was that he thought all pilots were special. My Afrika Korps father-in-law never experienced even that much rudeness in Scotland. When he came back on honeymoon the people in the local pub phoned the Countess of Dunlop, to come around and meet one of their prisoners who had come back.

He was a young man, and enlisted ahead of conscription to get his father, a trade union official and ringleader of the 1918 naval mutiny, out of a concentration camp, in the days when people still got out. So it was about his first sight of benevolent government... Well, most of it, most of the time. The old man was murdered by the Hitler Youth on the last day of the war, and the family still think they knew he was a resistance courier by that time. I think it's about as likely that they knew their allowance of murder was running out, and just did it on a wrong kind of person basis while they could.

It is true, though, that the bombing did have some consolations for Germany. Britain and the US suffered badly from trying to make 1920s or 30s factories compete with the 1950s ones of Germany and Japan. Another is that the open space enabled industry to stay in industrial and business areas, instead of spreading out and spoiling the old villages and towns which remained untouched. Whole city blocks in the UK look to be doing a balancing act on top of plate-glass and stainless steel shopfronts.

Smoke4320
04-23-2018, 11:11 AM
Churches

First is a very famous church in Bavaria region of Germany

Church #2

Smoke4320
04-23-2018, 11:23 AM
I did not take much time taking pics in France the little towns we when thru did not really have much going for the
and they can't spell for well you know
Could not read a thing :) :)

Smoke4320
04-23-2018, 12:34 PM
Time out:
11.04.2018 / 09:32 City: Mainz City-Port
km: 10743
-
Time in :
18.04.2018 / 11:41 City: Mainz City-Port
km: 12273
Rental days 8 23.00 184.00 EUR A1
kms inclusive 1,530
Additional driver 1 42.02 42.02 EUR A1
PersonalAccident 28 1 54.62 54.62 EUR A1
Subtotal 280.64 EUR
A1 VAT 19,00% 53.32 EUR
Total 333.96 EUR
Voucher 218.96- EUR
Final amount 115.00 EUR
Final Transaction Amount 1.277200 146.88 USD

Boy theres a real shocker 19% TAX on the rental car

hwilliam01
04-23-2018, 02:18 PM
On the recommendation of a friend I walked into a McDonalds in Rome to see the menu. It also had the most ornate bathroom in a McDonalds. Yep, two beers on tap or soda with your meals. I had better things to eat in Italy than US fast food.
Great thing to do for your mom.

Our McDonald's in Maine serves lobster rolls for $8.95 when the lobster season is in full swing so that the prices are reasonable....They are not too bad either and that is pretty much state wide too.

Smoke4320
04-23-2018, 02:38 PM
Now for the walled city of Rothenburg
Established in the 900's

a closeup of the inside walkway for the archers to defend the city..
Note that only rocks are holding the walkway up and its about 50 ft up in the air

OK I officially give up on this one .. deleted the pic tried reloading multiple times . Even copied the pic flipped it upside down and saved .. no matter what I do it posted upside down
I give up

This is a picture of the government building inside Rothenburg

Smoke4320
04-23-2018, 02:40 PM
tomorrow

WAR ....Tanks, guns, motorcycles ect

Smoke4320
04-24-2018, 09:49 AM
EYE candy above :)

Smoke4320
04-24-2018, 11:05 AM
and some drag cars and a very unusual motorcycle

Knightflyer
04-24-2018, 04:27 PM
Very cool! Thanks for sharing!

Smoke4320
04-26-2018, 04:06 PM
A Couple More

This is a very famous church in the center of Mainz .. Known to the locals as the dom