PDA

View Full Version : Commerical Lead Suppliers are out there...

Texasflyboy
09-10-2008, 11:29 AM
With the threads out there regarding the availability of scrap lead (Wheelweights, et al) made me wonder what the feasibility of just cutting to the chase of going straight to the source...a commercial lead facility such as:

Overland Lead Products in Missouri (http://www.overlandlead.com/products.html#lead)

When I lived in Houston, we purchased three tons of Lyman #2 mix from the Houston Foundry. We (our little casting group) issued a RFP (Request for Proposals) in the Houston Chronicle and received two bids. One from the Houston Foundry.

The dock price was right at .10 cents per pound and it was Lyman #2. We just picked it up with F150's and F250's from what I recall. The RFP specified brick size no more than 1" thick by 4" long and 3" wide. We also spec'd an alternative size that mimicked a 12" ounce coke can.

That order formed the core of my lead supply for years. Two tons of the lead we purchased went to a commercial bullet caster that formed part of our group. We sorta piggybacked on his order.

If we band together, I am quite sure that many of us who live near major metropolitan centers can get quite the deal on lead, and get it exactly the way we want it.

Lead isn't hard to find, even *cheap* lead. What seems to be hard to find is lead for free, when it was given away in the past in the form of wheelweights..

Sadly, I think those days are fading fast, but as to the availability of lead from commercial suppliers, I really don't think we have anything to worry about. Lead is everywhere and in constant use, and will be for some time.

My .02.

hyoder
09-10-2008, 10:51 PM
I priced lead from a foundry in South Alabama less than a year ago - $1.255/# for soft lead -99.5%+. Lead was going down in price then.

10 Years ago this was under $ .30/#.

Southern Son
09-11-2008, 05:21 AM
I go to a place in Brisbane called Northern Smelters (www.northernsmelters.com.au). If you warn them about what you want, they will mix it a serve it up in whatever size ingot you want (for a price). If you are like me and planning ahead is difficult, then you end up chopping up 50lb ingots into smaller bits (but they have always helped). I don't think they mention lead on their web site, but I have bought lead and tin from them 5 or more times now over the last 3 years (smart bloke would buy it all in one hit to save on fuel). Unfortunately, I don't have enough mate that cast to go an buy in bulk big enough to get a sizable discount.

Linstrum
09-11-2008, 06:00 AM
Hi, Texasflyboy, thanks for the research, it will be put to use.

I knew I got my 3-ton diesel flatbed dump truck for some reason - - -

rl 424