PDA

View Full Version : Please Do It Today, For on Tomorrow it may not be possible

Handloader109
04-19-2018, 04:29 PM
Got a FB notification that a past fellow worker, and one of my good friends had had a major heart attack during surgery and had passed last night. He and his first wife and kids were really close to my wife and I in the early 90's. We worked together and when they moved, we visited with them in KS and LV and even in Orange County, CA when my daughter was young. Lost touch after the couple divorced and he moved back to Europe for a while. He was Polish by birth, was a major industrial reactionary during the Polish Solidarity movement and excaped to Austria with his wife and first daughter prior to being arrested. Moved to US and that was where we met. Great guy, one of the hardest workers and most intelligent men I have ever met. Spoke Polish, Russian (attended Univ of Moscow as engineer), German, Italian, Some Spanish, English that I know of. Didn't realize it but we'd move to Arkansas and were only 90 miles apart for several years. On a whim, wife found him and his new wife and they were in kansas. Spoke several times last year, planned to meet up, but never could arrange it.
My wife thought of him the other day. Told me I needed to call Andrew. Why? Just do it.
well, I got busy and didn't.

Got the message this morning and I guess I'll have to talk to him at some time in the future when we meet again in the afterlife. It won't be in this life. I lost a chance to speak to him one more time. Obviously, we both wouldn't have known it would have been the last time, but I feel truly bad.

So listen to your wife, or your heart. Call your friend you haven't spoken to in a while. It might be the last opportunity you get. Don't wait till tomorrow. It truly Might not be possible.

lightman
04-19-2018, 08:24 PM
Sorry to hear about the loss of your Friend.

Blackwater
04-19-2018, 09:24 PM
I too lost a dear friend recently. We talked almost every day, and sometimes twice or more. In the hustle and bustle of "modern life," we sometimes forget the very real value of our friendships. But that doesn't lessen their importance to us and our lives one whit. You can tell a lot about a man by the kind of friends he has. Mine come from most every walk of life, and some are poor, and some pretty wealthy. But all are friends, and each one holds a special place in my heart and life. God bless them all.

Biggin
04-19-2018, 10:06 PM
Friends and family are precious never miss a chance to talk to them. I missed a chance to talk to a good friend on whether to turn left and go home from work or turning right and stopping in to him for a few minutes. I decided to go on home .I kept thinking that I really ought to go see him. An hour later he dropped dead from a stroke, he was 48 years old.

Thin Man
04-20-2018, 08:18 AM
This discussion reminds me of a Wyatt Earp movie when Wyatt first met Doc Holliday. Doc asked Wyatt if he believed in friendship and Wyatt said "yes". Doc then asked Wyatt if he had a lot of friends and Wyatt nodded his head to signal "no". Doc then said "I'll be your friend" and they shook hands. This exchange says a lot about the very special nature of true friendship. I know a lot of people but consider only a rare few of them as friends. I have a loyalty to these few that cannot be moved or challenged. If one of them needs help with anything I want to be first in line to bring that help. I feel they would do the same for me. This has always worked well for me.

RED BEAR
04-20-2018, 11:19 AM
I know how you feel. A friend came by last week that the wife and i haven't seen in probably 10 years. We used to do a lot together river crusing vacations cook outs and such. Was truly sadened and shocked to hear both his son and wife had passed away. It is sad that you loose touch with such good friends. They were one of the few that could count on and were true friends. Can't tell you how much i regret losing touch and of the time missed with people i really care about.