PDA

View Full Version : What lube for putting on gas check before powder coating?

J257
04-18-2018, 12:29 PM
I use the "shake and bake" method for powder coating. One of the molds I'm using has a tight shank, making it really hard to put on the check after coating. I'm going to check them before coating but what do I use as lube or do I need lube? I thought of just barely crimping them on with the .312 sizer, powder coat, then finish them off with the .309 after coating. I'm looking for a method where I don't have to clean the lube off the bullets before powder coating. Any sound advice, from someone that's been on this road would be great.

nagantguy
04-18-2018, 01:04 PM
I always check before coating, sometimes depending on sizer and boolit it works without lube but sometimes it’s too tight so I use some Hornady unique case lube , just put a little on the finger and rub it on the mouth of sizer die, wipes off with rag.

Soundguy
04-18-2018, 01:04 PM
Is the gc shank so big that you rally can't get a gc to 'snap on by tapping it on your bench? if yeas, I'd put a little superfine polishing compound on a lead GC boolit that came out of that mold, and then chuck it into a drill press/vise setup, and polish that mold a hair.

For lube, I'd use something thin ( thin oil ) that you could then rinse off with naptha, acetone or laquer thinner via bath dip n dump.

Grmps
04-18-2018, 01:21 PM
HiTek makes a boolit sizing lube for hitek coating that might work for PC.

http://hi-performancebulletcoatings.com/sizing-lube/aqua-lube-5000/

You could try this
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?351930-Gascheck-seating-quot-jig-quot-for-Lee-sizer&p=4259141&viewfull=1#post4259141

Bama
04-19-2018, 08:07 PM
I do not use a lube to crimp gas check in place. I castseat crip gc in place and then pc and then spray lube before final sizingas long as I am only sizing one to two thou I have not had a problem more than that be prepared to drill center of bulletout. I have used a small amount of spray anolin and, just takes more shakinng to get a good coat but doesn’t seem to hurt adhesion, still passed hammer test fine.

chutesnreloads
04-19-2018, 08:22 PM
Had same problem.Now I've only tried this once ,but just slipped the GC on by hand and tapped the base on the table.Dropped them in the powder bucket and shook.Not a single GC came off.Sized as usual after the PC

res45
04-19-2018, 09:15 PM
Never applied a gas checked before powder coating, I've always coated my bullet first using Smokes or Eastwood powders and gas check when sizing. I've had one on occasion that was a tight fit but other than that they seem to go on fairly easy without much fuss.

waco
04-22-2018, 12:41 PM
http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.php?cPath=432
These work awesome!

buggybuilder
04-24-2018, 08:35 AM
The ones I have for my .25-20 works wonderful........the one for my .225 bullets, NOT SO MUCH!

evoevil
04-24-2018, 09:03 AM
I use Hornady unique lube, very easy to clean up and works great

dryflash3
04-24-2018, 11:38 AM
I have molds where the shank is too small for the check after bullet is powder coated.

So I install check, powder coat and size to final dimension.

No lube needed, I use Lee push through sizing dies.

F_L
04-24-2018, 01:47 PM
I use a bit of dishwashing soap and water. Rinses off easily.

Walter Laich
04-26-2018, 08:07 PM
I would be hesitant to use any oil based lube as the PC doesn't do well when it comes in contact with oil

Lloyd Smale
04-27-2018, 06:07 AM
I allways check before coating and have never used lube. Doing it that way makes it much easier to final size after baking. Many gas checked bullets i have are tough enough to get a gas check seated. It would be about impossible with those molds to do it after so i just got in the habbit of allways checking first

bangerjim
04-27-2018, 11:22 AM
Nothing oil-based if at all! I NEVER lube to put on a check. If a good whack with a hammer will not get it to pop on. Look for another brand of checks. I use only commercial Hornady Cu checks. NOT aluminum!

Anything you use as a lube will still be "up in there" even if you try REAL hard and clean it off. And the heat from the bake will drive it out and prevent a good PC bond around the base and up the boolit.

I have only one mold that gives me a small GC shank, so I PC 1st and the GC. Again NEVER any lube!!

Just don't lube for applying GC's. Problem solved.

Do what you need to do, but I do not recommend ANY oil or lube on a boolit if you are going to PC it. Been down that road TOO MANY TIMES!

Moonie
04-27-2018, 11:09 PM
I've found a 25-06 lee fcd will squeeze down the gas check shank to the perfect size to put on a gas check. This works for 30 caliber, 7mm and 270/6.8.

GregLaROCHE
04-29-2018, 12:38 AM
Not long ago I saw something about using a Lee case crimp die to put on gas checks. No need for lube that way.

wwmartin
04-29-2018, 08:19 AM
I know the molds are made for using gas checks, but is it necessary to use them with PC boolits. Just wondering?
WW