PDA

View Full Version : Advice from a rookie...

Solothurn
04-12-2018, 10:38 AM
I've only been casting a Lil over a year and a half. I read a lot on this forum before I got started and learned a lot from it. Here's a few little things I learned or found to be helpful after casting a little while.

Started out with iron 2 cavity and aluminum 5 cavity molds. I prefer aluminum because it gets up to temperature quicker and because I don't have to put a rust preventative in the cavities, and then have to clean them before use. 5-cavity molds increase production quite a bit over 2-cavity.

When you get a new mold, clean it well and apply anti-seize, to all the bolts and screws. Makes for easier disassembly later.

Preheat your molds. I made a sheetmetal oven to sit on top of a hotplate that gets molds up to 350 degrees. Usually have good boolits right off the bat. Until the mold is up to temperature, you will just be casting for practice, not making boolits.

Designing boolits is above my pay grade. My first was okay, but not any better than anything else. Number two was a flop, at least for use in the intended caliber. There are enough RN-FP designs out there that work already.

Dusty Bannister
04-12-2018, 12:33 PM
Thank you for sharing. I have to wonder if you are casting for pistol or rifle. Or do you even think it would make a difference? I have never been bit with the desire to design my own mold. There are so many different styles already in existence that it seems a little unlikely I will ever try. I have looked through the catalogs and wondered just why that particular design was even tried though. I guess some of us just need to try it and see. I am guilty of that. Dusty

Solothurn
04-12-2018, 01:31 PM
Both, but mostly pistol.

Rcmaveric
04-12-2018, 02:18 PM
The selection of .265 and .277 bullets has led me to contemplating designing a bullet. Very limited in those fields.

Sound advice though. Plug every the hot plate in and pot. Then go do a 30 minute cardio work out. It will all be hot by the time you get back.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

JBinMN
04-12-2018, 02:41 PM
...Snip... I read a lot on this forum before I got started and learned a lot from it. ...Snip...

Best advice of the whole OP for anyone, IMO.
;)

Although the rest seems pretty sound as well.
;)

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
:)

jdfoxinc
04-12-2018, 03:46 PM
I just rest my molds on the lip of the furnace.

Echo
04-12-2018, 06:05 PM
I just rest my molds on the lip of the furnace.

Me too...

Walter Laich
04-13-2018, 02:01 PM
I use the lip of the pot to preheat my molds mostly because I'm too cheap to plug in the hot plate and use more electricity :razz:

Taterhead
04-13-2018, 08:18 PM
That's a good post Solothurn. I am maybe a few months ahead of you in the learning curve. I've been a reloader for much longer, but I'm just beginning to learn the art and alchemy of boolit casting.

I find that molds and cast boolits are extremely interesting.

fastdadio
04-14-2018, 08:47 AM
Some times I preheat my molds with a propane torch. Quick and easy.

tdoor4570
04-14-2018, 09:04 AM
The selection of .265 and .277 bullets has led me to contemplating designing a bullet. Very limited in those fields.

Sound advice though. Plug every the hot plate in and pot. Then go do a 30 minute cardio work out. It will all be hot by the time you get back.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

If I was to do a 30 minute cardio work out I would be ready for a NAP