PDA

View Full Version : Hand forge bullet mold?

archeryrob
04-11-2018, 01:33 PM
I was browsing a local sportmens auction and saw this mold which I figured it might be quite old, possibly. I don't know much about old bulet molds, but those look like hand forging marks to me.

country gent
04-11-2018, 04:20 PM
A lot of the old "bag" moulds were hand forged to shape and the form, then the cavities cut and finished.

Jniedbalski
04-11-2018, 05:35 PM
Dixie gun works still I thank sell molds like this. They where actually women’s hair curlers. But Dixie just got different cherries and cut them out to make a mold

Rug480
04-11-2018, 05:39 PM
Pretty cool

indian joe
04-11-2018, 06:29 PM
I was browsing a local sportmens auction and saw this mold which I figured it might be quite old, possibly. I don't know much about old bulet molds, but those look like hand forging marks to me.

Rob.............
I never thought of this before .....but whats to stop us hand forging/swaging a set of aluminium mold blocks around a steel mandrel???

NoZombies
04-11-2018, 10:20 PM
Rob.............
I never thought of this before .....but whats to stop us hand forging/swaging a set of aluminium mold blocks around a steel mandrel???

replace hand with machine, and steel with carbide, and that's how Lee makes their RB molds. They squish the block around carbide balls.

indian joe
04-11-2018, 11:33 PM
replace hand with machine, and steel with carbide, and that's how Lee makes their RB molds. They squish the block around carbide balls.

hmmmm - thanks for that - I not so stoopid after all:bigsmyl2: LEE RB molds are the best - easiest to use - balls are easy to shoot - the only cast ball I have seen that you dont need to orient the sprue - just tumble em in a bag with a little graphite and ya cant see sprue anymore