PDA

View Full Version : neccessity is the mother of invention right? Using non-Star Dies in your Star sizer

45nut
09-08-2008, 07:01 PM
So, I have this Star sizer and only one die for it, in. 3565 of course, not .451 for my Saeco 68's.

But, I do have a .451 for my saeco sitting here.... so I went out to the shop and scrounged around for ..... a spring to wrap my saeco die with that would center it in the star luber, and it works. Well,, 99% so far, I need to block off the extra rows in the saeco die so I can actually get the lube in the boolit grooves instead of on the base or the nose. I tried blocking them with shot but the hydraulic pressure just forced the shot right thru but my next attempt will be with "beagling tape", it should withstand the pressure better and I may not even need a spring to center the die,, just a wrap or two of tape.
If this all works I will be adapting both my saeco and my lyman dies to fit the star since I am rather forced to make do with what I already have. The spring I used was plastic coated so it worked well to seal the lube, but the beagling tape may just do it all.

No_1
09-08-2008, 07:10 PM
Hey Ken,

Great idea and much easier than the spacer sleeve we have been talking about the last couple of days. The seaco dies were the good idea since they have the flange on top like the star dies but the lyman / RCBS dies should work too since the set screw built into the star sizer could be tightened against the die to hold it in place. The tape could be used as the spacer and also to cover un-needed lube holes.

No_1
09-08-2008, 07:18 PM
EDIT: I was wrong, the thread is a 1/2"-26!

And come to think of it, the top punch is just a 1/2" fine thread. You can take a fine thread bolt and make a flat top punch for nose first sizing. You might even get away with just having a couple sizes in those. Say 1 to cover 30-37 caliber and 1 to cover the 45's.

R.

Jon K
09-08-2008, 08:42 PM
Thread size on the Star sizer punch is 27 tpi. The threads are loose enough that a 1/2"-26 screw would probably work, if you can find one in today's economy. More common is the 1/2"-20 which won't fit.

A simple solution to a punch is to take the upper piece of the die removal tool as it is drilled & tapped 1/4"-27, again loose enough that a 1/4-28 fits easy. Then cut the head of the 1/4" screw off, or turn or grind the head to whatever size you need. So this becomes an easy adapter. Another way is to make the same with an extra Star punch, if you got one. Allthough maybe some one here can make punches, quick and easy nothing complicated.

Good Luck,

Jon

dragonrider
09-08-2008, 08:48 PM
"the thread is a 1/2"-26!"
You will find that the thread is a 1/2"-27 tpi, and with good reason. Few lathes will cut 27 tpi thread. MSC and MacMaster Carr sell threading dies and I think MSC is the least expensive.

lathesmith
09-08-2008, 10:54 PM
45, that's real creative, I see you have been watching Red Green! I mean, that's great and all, but if you would rather have a Buckshot style Star die, PM me with what size you want, and I'll make and send you one gratis. If you want lube holes with a different pattern other than my standard 3-row, .120 distance apart setup, just let me know that, too.One good turn deserves another, I figure.
lathesmith

No_1
09-09-2008, 05:07 AM
I guess I was wrong again! I was using my thread gage and my eyes are not what they use to be. Sorry guys for the bumb dope but thanks for correcting me.

R.

weasel 21
05-26-2009, 05:17 PM
After reading this thread I also have both Saeco & Star sizers and dies for both. I took my saeco .356 die and put a couple of wraps of electrical tape on either side of the lube holes. I then mounted the die in the Star . I havent got the holes lined up to distribute the lube in the groove which Ill have to work on. But it does work and sizing nose first with 1 stroke is a lot better than 2 strokes w/the saeco.

tackstrp
03-29-2011, 07:26 PM
what is beagling tape? please.

CWME
05-08-2011, 08:46 AM
Tackstrp, It is alum tape used for heating and cooling ducts.

I went a little further with this idea. I have a RCBS .225 die. Took the o-ring off, went to the hardware store and found a snap ring that fit in the o-ring slot. I believe it was 5/8ths. Put a 1/4 wide wrap of beagling tape at the bottom of the die and one just under the snap ring. I think total wraps around was about 3. Sprayed it down with one shot to lube and slid it in.
Didn't have a punch that would fit so went to the shop to see if the lathe would cut 27 tpi. Didn't see it the first time but sure enough it would. Cut a punch out of some 0-1 tool steel. Not as pretty at Latesmiths work but it would work for this test.
Installed the punch and ran some 225415s through the die. Sizing with GCs works great. Now for lubing, the RCBS die has one row of fairly large holes. It takes very little pressure to leak lube all over the nose etc. Once I figured that out and backed off the pressure completly I lubed 45-50 boolits with just 4 little dabs of lube on the noses of each. I will have to live with that for now.

btroj
05-08-2011, 11:06 AM
I don't have any Saeco dies to try in my Star but the talk of beagleing tape to block extra holes peaked my interest.
That would be far easier to remove than the shot in the extra holes.

Let us know how that works, you may be onto something here.

Brad