PDA

View Full Version : White Label Lube Xlox

lead_her_fly
09-08-2008, 06:47 PM
My Lyman #45 luber/sizer pressure rod broke the other day. It is an old machine and I thought I was in trouble trying to get parts. Well, not so. The only things that are interchangeable from model to model are the rods and pressure disks. The new ones come with "o" rings instead of the old "piston ring" configuration. They have them in stock and are sending them out and will be here in 7 to 10 days.

I thought I would try something different. I have 5 quarts of White Label Liquid Xlox that I need to use up. I normally use it 50/50 with beeswax for a hard lube and it works really well. I have tumble lubed many times with this stuff, it works good, just messy. Well I thought I would cut down on some of the mess and "dip" them. It takes a lot longer but should be less messy when loading them.

I tried using a mixture of 50% alcohol but found it didn't mix very well. Someone on another forum suggested it so I thought I would try it as well. What I did instead was use the normal mixture of 50% mineral spirits to 50% Xlox. Placed them on wax paper and will wait until morning to see how they dry. I'll post about that then.

Just wondering if anyone else had tried this. dipping them I mean.

Here is a picture:
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r115/Sackettwannabe/Boolits/100_3606.jpg

IcerUSA
09-08-2008, 06:56 PM
I think Ranch Dog had a nice post going on dip lubing with Xlox(Alox) , just don't remember where it is offhand , a search should come up with it though. Was a good read if you dip lube with that stuff .

Keith

No_1
09-08-2008, 07:02 PM
Yes Sir! Dip lubing is the deal. I do it as a 2 part process. I dip then let them dry over night then repeat the process. I use wax paper to set them on so I can re-claim the "drip-offs". After the second dip I size them if needed. I started doing it that way cause I hate lube on the nose of the boolits as it filled the seating die pretty fast and changed the seating depth and was a PITA to get off right before seating to avoid the seating die issues.

R.

EDK
09-08-2008, 10:08 PM
I followed RANCH DOG'S tutorial sticky on dip lubing the TLC 432 265 boolits and it worked like a champ.

I've had a minor leading problem in a group of RUGER Blackhawks and Vaqueros in 44 lately...just in the area after the forcing cone...cleans out easily with a few strokes of an old brush and some CHORE BOY. I've pretty much decided that it was from sizing plain base boolits to .432, regardless of lube...used LARS' Canuba, 2500, B-A-C and 50/50 with the same results. The XLOX and double dip method, with gas check and sized to .432, will clean any barrel in 10 rounds or less...after any number of the rounds that leaded. I will switch back to the .431 sizer die and see what happens after I finish sizing a 3 pound coffee can of the Ranch Dogs.

Only problem with RANCH DOG boolits is mould availability. I subscribed to the 6 cavity 432 265 and bought a 2 cavity to use right away. I want a 432 300 and the TLC 359 190, but they're only in 2 cavity for now( or will be.) A six cavity mould will ruin you for 2 cavities; the 4 cavities are better, but still not close.

PS You can process the dip lube while you're watching the TV with the Mrs. and eliminate some of the tension caused by "you're spending all your time in the reloading room and don't spend any time with me!" [smilie=w: I do the first tumble lube, tap the gas checks on with a small plastic mallet a day later and dip lube while we are talking or watching the tube.

:Fire::cbpour::redneck: