PDA

View Full Version : Leupold Reticle change

Trapperscott
04-10-2018, 06:17 AM
Hello all. I bought an almost new 4.5X14 Vari X 111 a while back. Thought I got a deal on it until I got it home and realized that the Duplex reticle in it is huge. I really didn't notice it when I looked at it before I paid for it. Now I know that the seller knew it was too thick to use. Why anyone would put such a heavy reticle in a scope is beyond me.

So, what I need is some information on where/who to send it to to change the reticle to a fine duplex? I emailed Leupold and inquired about the cost to have the work done. Let's just say it was WAAAAYYYY out of my price range.

Does anyone here know where I can get this word done reasonably? I'm in the middle of building a rifle that I would like to put it on but the thick duplex covers up half a gallon milk just at 100 yards.

Any help would be appreciated.

Scott

lakeparkv8
04-10-2018, 07:07 AM
Hello all. I bought an almost new 4.5X14 Vari X 111 a while back. Thought I got a deal on it until I got it home and realized that the Duplex reticle in it is huge. I really didn't notice it when I looked at it before I paid for it. Now I know that the seller knew it was too thick to use. Why anyone would put such a heavy reticle in a scope is beyond me.

So, what I need is some information on where/who to send it to to change the reticle to a fine duplex? I emailed Leupold and inquired about the cost to have the work done. Let's just say it was WAAAAYYYY out of my price range.

Does anyone here know where I can get this word done reasonably? I'm in the middle of building a rifle that I would like to put it on but the thick duplex covers up half a gallon milk just at 100 yards.

Any help would be appreciated.

Scott

I don't know about your specific scope but in our world of outlaw shotgun shooting some of our guys have sent them to leupold repair shop with no problems. We prefer a target dot apposed to crosshairs. I haven't personally sent any back but from what I hear it only cost less than 50 buck plus shipping. I would try contacting them again and ask for a price. I'm with you on fat crosshairs, no good! Good luck !

Petrol & Powder
04-10-2018, 07:10 AM
The only way to get in done properly and not break the bank is to send it back to Leupold.

Hickory
04-10-2018, 07:19 AM
Is it possible you are the victim of a switch-a-roo from where you bought it?

Thin Man
04-10-2018, 10:36 AM
In case Leupold can not or will not replace the reticle at your price point you might look at ironsightinc.com for their offerings. I have had them work on a few scopes for me in the past few years and have always been pleased with their work. They are not inexpensive, but good quality work rarely is low cost.

pressonregardless
04-10-2018, 11:18 AM
Leupold will change the reticle for you, but has recently increased the cost to around $200
or something like that. Call them & see what they say.

Trapperscott
04-10-2018, 07:22 PM
Wow!!!! I inquired to Leupold about changing the reticle and a CDS system with a ballistically matched elevation dial. They are way out of my price range. Heck, cost of the replacement duplex is what I paid for the scope. I've always been a leupold guy but am going to look into other brands of scopes for future purchases.

Got this back from Leupold:

Cost for the fine duplex would be 200.00 plus any applicable taxes. The cost for the CDS system with a ballistically matched dial would be another 230.00 plus tax. I have included the needed ballistics below.

Caliber
Bullet weight
Bullet type/brand
Muzzle velocity
Average elevation
Average temperature
Zero distance
Ballstic coeffiecent
Mounted scope height

If you choose to have the work done, box the scope up with letter stating the work to be done along with your contact/return information. Once received we will contact you to confirm the work as well as to collect payment via debit/credit card. I have included our return shipping information below.

I'm just a poor boy. I can't afford those prices.