PDA

View Full Version : Magnum primers with cb load - any problem?

PBSmith
04-09-2018, 06:55 PM
I recently pulled jacketed bullets from a box of .30-40 Krag reloads that I bought at a gunshow.

What I plan to load in the cases are soft cast bullets in front of low-end H4227 and Red Dot charges.

The guy who loaded the rounds that I pulled did not indicate primer type on his label. His powder was 4831. It occurred to me that he could possibly have used magnum primers with that slow burner. I debated about pushing out his unknown primer and re-priming with standard LR.

If the loader of this ammo did use magnum primers, and I leave them in, will I be getting into any problem with the light 4227 and Red Dot charges that I intend to load behind a 210 grain cast bullet?

Thanks.

JonB_in_Glencoe
04-09-2018, 08:00 PM
"low end" loads, safety wise, shouldn't be a problem.

I generally remove unknown primers and save them for case forming and/or just fun plinking loads. If I were working up a load for a old mil surp, I would want to know what the primers were, so I could recreate a successful load, if I were to happen upon one...But that's just me.

tomon
04-10-2018, 10:53 AM
Second for JonB! I inherited 50 30-06 cases with Magnum primers. Used up some odd lot Cast bullets with 22gr of IMR4895 and sent them down range! They shot quite well, actually.