PDA

View Full Version : I'm thinking I may need to pull these boolits. What do you think?

Arkansas Paul
04-09-2018, 12:34 AM
So I picked up a Lee 310-RF mold for my .44 magnum Super Blackhawk.

I got some cast up, gas checked, sized and lubed. This afternoon I loaded up a few test rounds, and now I'm second guessing myself.

I seated them to the 2nd crimp groove (the one that gives the shortest OAL).

Now I didn't load any nitro heavy loads, but they are on the warm side. I know you're supposed to start at the bottom, but I generally start in the middle.

I have some loaded with 21 grains of W296 and some with 18.5 grains of IMR4227.
Should I pull them and re-do them seated to the first crimp groove (the longest OAL)?
I don't think they're compressed, but they are close.

If I need to, thankfully I only loaded 20 of each, so it won't be that big an issue.

Thanks

44Blam
04-09-2018, 01:14 AM
21 grn of 296 seems pretty stout in a 310 grn boolit...

But with boolits, there is usually a crimp groove and then a couple lube grooves, so I wouldn't move the crimp down to the lube grove... It probably won't chamber if you do.

earlmck
04-09-2018, 03:54 AM
If it was a Smith I might worry a little but -- a Ruger? Nah -- shoot 'em.

Arkansas Paul
04-09-2018, 09:31 AM
21 grn of 296 seems pretty stout in a 310 grn boolit...

But with boolits, there is usually a crimp groove and then a couple lube grooves, so I wouldn't move the crimp down to the lube grove... It probably won't chamber if you do.

This Lee mold was designed with 2 crimp grooves. You can seat it long or short, depending on your cylinder length.
I just don't want to spike the pressure too much.

I'm thinking earlmck is likely right. The Ruger, with unfluted cylinder will probably handle it fine.

Larry Gibson
04-09-2018, 10:14 AM
Were it me I would go with my instinct and pull the 296 loads. They are 1.5+ gr over the max load listed in #4 CBH and given the shorter OAL I don't see any real need to punish the Ruger. Might be just fine to shoot them but I wouldn't. Or I would do as you suggest and seat out to the 2nd crimp groove.

Just my opinion.

The 18.5 gr loads of 4227 should be fine.

Dusty Bannister
04-09-2018, 10:24 AM
So I picked up a Lee 310-RF mold for my .44 magnum Super Blackhawk.
I seated them to the 2nd crimp groove (the one that gives the shortest OAL).
Now I didn't load any nitro heavy loads, but they are on the warm side.

I have some loaded with 21 grains of W296 and some with 18.5 grains of IMR4227.

Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook, 4th edition shows the following:
Lee C430-310-RF
*296 17.4 start 19.3 max with a cartridge OAL of 1.710
*H-4227 17.3 start 19.2 max with a cartridge OAL of 1.710

I usually think of a "warm load" as nearing the max suggested load. You are 1.7 gr over the max per this manual. If your OAL is less than 1.710 then that is even worse. Dusty

Oops sorry Larry, I was still checking the manuals before adding my comments. Did not mean to repeat what you posted.

HABCAN
04-09-2018, 10:43 AM
What Mr. Gibson said in Post #3.............+1.
I did a single 'test' load in the Pietta .44-40 with 18.0 grs. IMR4227 with that boolit seated deep and didn't blow it up, and now occasionally shoot it over 17.0 grs. as a 'Thumper'.

Walter Laich
04-09-2018, 11:03 AM
ultimately your call

I would make up some like you want to try and see how they work. That way I would know for sure and then decide to pull or not

frkelly74
04-09-2018, 11:13 AM
I got into loading because I wanted to have a fun hobby. I do not view this hobby as a test of endurance for my equipment or as a platform for daredevil stunts where you shout " hey y'all watch this " before you jump. Be safe and prudent, step away from the ledge.

mdi
04-09-2018, 11:47 AM
Now I didn't load any nitro heavy loads, but they are on the warm side. I know you're supposed to start at the bottom, but I generally start in the middle.

Well, you're using heavy for caliber bullets, magnum powder, and you won't start a new, unknown to you load at the suggested starting level? I'd suggest you pull them, but you may not listen to that either...:mrgreen:

stubert
04-09-2018, 12:37 PM
I shoot that same bullet in my Red Hawk, I seat them long (1.71) I use 20.8 gr. of 296. If you seat them long, 21 gr. is not to much. Use a kenetic puller and just tap them to the rear most groove and re crimp.

dverna
04-09-2018, 12:38 PM
By just asking the question, you know you are in a bad place. Let your experience and common sense speak to you.

And if someone here told you it was OK, why would you believe them? There are some very good people here, but some are not.

Asking the powder company for their opinion would be the best advice. But if you are over maximum, they will not suggest shooting that load.

40sand9s
04-09-2018, 02:22 PM
if you are hesitant but it doesn't sound like u really want to pull you can always load some lighter and work your way up. Just remember though while it is a pain to pull it is much more painful to find out the hard way you should have.

Arkansas Paul
04-09-2018, 03:00 PM
Well, you're using heavy for caliber bullets, magnum powder, and you won't start a new, unknown to you load at the suggested starting level? I'd suggest you pull them, but you may not listen to that either...:mrgreen:

Touche.

Lot of good advice. Thanks guys.
I think I'll bump it out to the first crimp groove to be safe.

mdi
04-09-2018, 04:16 PM
I'm not an over zealous safety nut, but I am cheap, so I would rather start low and if I felt the need, work up rather than go with higher loads and have to buy a new gun. Fingers get pretty expensive too... :bigsmyl2:

MDC
04-09-2018, 05:53 PM
Last week I loaded some mag primers (11 out of 284 rounds) in a load I had worked up for std primers. The load is pushing max published data but it works well for me and is very accurate. I was more ticked off that it got by me before I realized what I was doing.
I posted asking for advice and the majority said they would shoot them but I knew I wasn't comfortable with it. After stepping back for a minute and calming down I ended up depriming and reprimed with the correct primers. They are loaded and ready to go and I feel good knowing I won't have any surprises.
I think you're in the same boat. Mi dos centavos

gwpercle
04-09-2018, 06:11 PM
If you shoot them bring a short rod and mallet just in case you have to help the cases out of the cylinders.
I discovered that going over the maximum loads can sometimes cause extraction problems in a double action revolver , the cases wouldn't eject normally but the rod and mallet got the cases out one at a time. After firing 5 , I stopped, went to the gunshop and bought a kinetic bullet puller.
Gary

TXGunNut
04-09-2018, 10:55 PM
If in doubt pull 'em. IMHO you're too close to the ragged edge on this one and given the variations we have no control over you simply have no margin for error. Most likely your Ruger will handle them fine but when things go from together to apart at over 38K C.U.P. it all happens pretty fast and there's not much you can do about it.

Tom W.
04-09-2018, 11:21 PM
I shoot the same boolits in my SRH loaded just below book max and crimped at the bottom crimp groove. They do ok in my revolver, but won't load in my friends Smith. Probably a good thing.....and I will say they are very accurate @ 25 yards and not slouchy @50.