PDA

View Full Version : Best States for Free and Easy, No-Pay, No-Hassle Shooting?

PBSmith
04-06-2018, 12:34 PM
Some of you probably live in states where it is not necessary to own private land or belong to a club in order to shoot.

I know such places exist, primarily in the West, but possibly east of the Mississippi as well. Federal and state land are two possibilities, but numerous types of private waste land might also work (with permission, of course).

Let me hear your praise for where you live and the free, no-hassle shooting opportunities that any Bart Leadslinger can enjoy. Obviously a buddy who owns 20 or 80 acres isn't what I'm asking about.

Thanks.

Rick Hodges
04-06-2018, 12:48 PM
Some of you probably live in states where it is not necessary to own private land or belong to a club in order to shoot.

I know such places exist, primarily in the West, but possibly east of the Mississippi as well. Federal and state land are two possibilities, but numerous types of private waste land might also work (with permission, of course).

Let me hear your praise for where you live and the free, no-hassle shooting opportunities that any Bart Leadslinger can enjoy. Obviously a buddy who owns 20 or 80 acres isn't what I'm asking about.

Thanks.

Michigan has many public ranges and it is legal to shoot on state land.

Camper64
04-06-2018, 12:51 PM

Thanks.

Iowa has public ranges as well.

marlin39a
04-06-2018, 12:54 PM
Where I live in Arizona. Ride out my driveway on my ATV, turn left, right, or go straight. I'm shooting where ever I want. Big pit up the road that I can shoot out to 300 yds. LE Officers are all pro-gun. I'm in heaven here. Nothing like that communist state of Massachusetts I came from 18 yrs ago. And no permit needed to carry concealed.

MUSTANG
04-06-2018, 02:40 PM
Both our house in Moapa Nevada, and the one in Kalispell Montana afford lots of "Free" shooting locations within a couple of minutes that support 300 yards or more (up to miles at the Moapa House). We still belong to Clubs with Ranges in both areas for the amenities. Nice covered ranges in the Kalispell area; and nice "Indoor Ranges" in the Moapa area (gets to 120 degrees outside there and sometimes you do not want to get up early before it's 80 degrees and warmer several months out of the year).

JBinMN
04-06-2018, 02:50 PM
I do most of my shooting outdoors on Pubic lands here, and occasionally on private. Dunno about "praise" though. It is just where I go to shoot, safely, and not many mind folks doing it.

I/We don't know where "you" live, which would be kind of nice to know, since you are asking, as well as you have made "me" curious as to why you asked.
:)

375RUGER
04-06-2018, 03:11 PM
Lots of BLM land in New Mexico.

shooter93
04-06-2018, 06:52 PM
I live in central Pa. and I'm surrounded by free ranges and very low cost ranges. State Game land ranges are free if you have a hunting license but also take donations if you want to. Some other ranges are free and fees on others are very reasonable. A range 45 minutes from me has rifle range out to 1000 yards, several different pistol ranges, trap, 5 stand etc for 60 bucks a year and 80 bucks a year for a family. Pretty reasonable I think.

frkelly74
04-06-2018, 07:12 PM
When we were in Southwest Michigan the Allegan State game area had a free unsupervised range, Here is Saginaw I do not have a place located yet to just go shoot. I would love to hear of someplace close and out of town.

tinsnips
04-06-2018, 07:26 PM
MY wife owns 2-1/2 sections of land . So my friends an I have it made. I have my own shooting range and deer hunting land. I feel for you guys that can only go to a public indoor range. I wish everybody had the same good luck as i do.

jonp
04-06-2018, 07:48 PM
In NC I shoot in my backyard. No one cares. When home in VT I stay at my hunting camp and shoot off the deck, at the parents house we shoot in the backyard. No one bats an eyelash

Jniedbalski
04-06-2018, 08:38 PM
In se Missouri we have a state ,conservation land and range that is free. The hunting area is over 1200 acres with three stocked fishing ponds. They also have a horse and walking trail, small camping areas.This runs along a big creek boat ramp that runs into the Mississippi River and small duck hunting area. Some of the hunting area is flat fields and other spots along the river a billy goat would love. The range has concrete tables and benches which suck. Only because there tough on a gun finish. They have pistole and 22 range up to 25 yards. The next berm over a 50 to 200 yard rifle range and the next berm a 300 yard. The walking lanes are all concrete to the targets. This is a non supervised range and it can be boath good and bad. It’s all open no shade so it can get really hot in the summer. There is also a skeet and trap range with a covered pavilion before you get to the gun range on one side and a nice bow shooting area on the other. The skeet range is conservation and private run you don’t have to be a member I don’t thank but the club runs it at certain hours of the day mostly weekend . I thank it cost 11$ for a round of skeet or trap and 20 clay birds they give you. I have talked to people from St. Louis and farther away that shoot there. That’s 120 miles or more drive. I asked one guy why he drove so far to go shooting? He said because there isint any where eals to go shooting unless you belonged to a private club which is very expensive. Glad it’s only 8 miles from the house. Other areas I have around here are tall creek banks close to the house three miles away people shoot at. It’s only about 30 or so yards shooting but it’s ok for a quick pistole test.

William Yanda
04-06-2018, 08:41 PM
Upstate NY, north and west of NYC and bordering counties have "State Land", state owned land where hunting is allowed.

chieffan
04-06-2018, 08:56 PM
SW Iowa has a lot of large farms and rolling hills. Most of the time if you just ask the farmer will let you shoot if it is a safe area to begin with. I can shoot right outside by back door as it is downhill to the creek and then goes back up another hill. I have the ground leased for hunting which helps a bunch too.

Bazoo
04-06-2018, 09:05 PM
In ky, they have wildlife management areas that you could in theory shoot on. My buddy hunts them. Each one has its on regulations as to what you can do, and he knows how to find out. I cant remember how he finds out, but he told me. And some of them would permit target shooting. Some are bow hunting only, some allow camping, some only allow shotguns for hunting, or only allow small game hunting. So.... In theory, one could find a sweet spot, and set up a little range for some shooting. Id like to find a spot that would be suitable, just so I have a backup and a change of scenery from the farm sometime.

I too, feel for the folks that dont have access to a place to shoot. So, if anyone needs a place and is near 42724, PM me and i'll invite you to come out to my farm.

merlin101
04-06-2018, 09:06 PM
Senator chuck schumer has told me that we have A public range here in NY, he brags about funding that as proof he's not anti gun. I have absolutely no idea where that range is :)

jimlj
04-06-2018, 11:16 PM
Reading this and other posts here remind me how good I have had it most of my life. I grew up in eastern Washington. Dad had about 80 acers with a "creek" running through it. I say creek but it was actually larger than several rivers I'm familiar with in Wyoming. I could basically shoot any where I wanted to after I got away from the house a couple hundred feet. Where I live in Wyoming I have to drive a couple miles and I can shoot on BLM land without any hassle. When people talk about the "range master" or having to reserve time at the range I have no concept of that.

fiberoptik
04-06-2018, 11:25 PM
When we were in Southwest Michigan the Allegan State game area had a free unsupervised range, Here is Saginaw I do not have a place located yet to just go shoot. I would love to hear of someplace close and out of town.

Bridgeport gun club

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fiberoptik
04-06-2018, 11:29 PM
Here un Jacksonville, Fl. I ‘m still looking.

JonB_in_Glencoe
04-06-2018, 11:43 PM
I do most of my shooting outdoors on Pubic lands here, and occasionally on private. Dunno about "praise" though. It is just where I go to shoot, safely, and not many mind folks doing it.

I/We don't know where "you" live, which would be kind of nice to know, since you are asking, as well as you have made "me" curious as to why you asked.
:)

There is extremely little public land in my county in MN. The little there is, it's either wildlife sanctuary, or Prairie restoration parcels. None allow target shooting that I am aware of.

Luckily, there are a couple private clubs that are extremely affordable near me. The one closest to me is $25 a year or $100 lifetime membership...and the other one is $35 (or $40?) per year.

JBinMN
04-07-2018, 02:14 AM
There is extremely little public land in my county in MN. The little there is, it's either wildlife sanctuary, or Prairie restoration parcels. None allow target shooting that I am aware of.

Luckily, there are a couple private clubs that are extremely affordable near me. The one closest to me is $25 a year or $100 lifetime membership...and the other one is $35 (or $40?) per year.

JonB,

I guess I am lucky over here in Goodhue county that it is rural enough that I have 1000+ acres public lands about 5-6 miles away, ( if I wanted to join up, there is a rifle range/sportsman club adjacent to it at the farthest point) & then at 9-12 miles away I have over another 1000-1200+ acres in different parcels. The first area has some flats, but the other is bluff country & not so good for any distance for rifle. Handgun /shotgun is easy to find a place though. Most of my private lands are about the same distance or more, so I just use the public lands the most.

I do understand that not everywhere in the state are their public lands to shoot on, but it sure would be nice if there were, right? I wish it was that way, anyway.
;)

Idaho45guy
04-07-2018, 02:47 PM
SW Iowa has a lot of large farms and rolling hills. Most of the time if you just ask the farmer will let you shoot if it is a safe area to begin with. I can shoot right outside by back door as it is downhill to the creek and then goes back up another hill. I have the ground leased for hunting which helps a bunch too.

Funny story about shooting in Iowa...

My ex-wife is from Grinnell, IA. I met her out there in `93 when I was visiting an old Navy buddy. We ended up getting married and I lived in that miserable place for nearly a decade.

Now, to the nice folks that grew up there, I can see how they find it charming. Some nice folks, pretty farm scenery, cheap houses, and neat town squares. But having grown up in the Pacific Northwest, the Midwest is a gross and annoying place with awful weather, no public land, no wilderness, brown muddy rivers, awful tasting fish, weird people, and it smells funny. Honestly. :dung_hits_fan:

I bought my first concealed carry firearm in Iowa. A S&W 686 4". There is a surprisingly large amount of crime out there in those little towns near meat-packing plants.

To try out my new pistol, I went to a little state park between Grinnell and Newton. I pulled in and there was another vehicle there but no one in sight. I placed my target against a berm, checked all around, and yelled that the range was hot and I was going to start shooting.

After about ten minutes, some guy came out of the woods to my left shaking and telling me not to shoot any more. He was holding a brown paper sack above his head and said to just take them, dropped the sack, and jumped in his car and took off.

I stood there in shock, trying to figure out what had just happened. I went over and looked in the sack and it was full of mushrooms. Weird.

So I figured I'd better get the heck out of there.

Drove home and told my wife what had happened. She started laughing and told me all about morel mushrooms and how they are a hot commodity that time of year and the guy thought I was robbing him.

For mushrooms??

I avoided places where Iowans were wandering around unsupervised since that encounter...

Now where I live, you can go pretty much anywhere in the woods with a backdrop and start blasting away. My dad has a sweet set-up with an indoor shooting bench and targets up to 300 yards away, so I usually go to his place about 12 miles away.

Or my buddy lives a mile out of town and he has a bench we drag up into the field for a shooting session...

Preacher Jim
04-07-2018, 03:11 PM
Fortunate in Missouri to have many state free ranges and good gun clubs, state law prevents closing existing gun clubs. My dues is an exorbitant 20.00 a year with 3 types shotgun. 100 yard pistol, 600 yard rifle.

nvbirdman
04-07-2018, 03:22 PM
I can drive out two or three miles and shoot, or I can drive ten miles to the private range owned by our gun club (club dues $35 per year) and shoot seven days a week sunup to sundown. No lock on the gate.

abunaitoo
04-07-2018, 03:29 PM
On this island, Oahu, we have only one public range. No charge for rifle and pistol shooting.
Run by the city. There are many rules. Only 100yds for rifle.
We do have hunting areas, but not for target shooting.
Not a real friendly shooters state.

gregtu
04-07-2018, 05:07 PM
I'm jealous. We have BLM land that is generally open for shooting, but it is a good hour drive and then a long hike to get to where I can shoot. It is in the Sierras, so it can be tough totting too much gear. (I like to use my steel plate set up.) The gun range I go to is way over what others here have been quoting. $20 per day; $100 a year for an individual; $350 a year per family. After the last time they raised the family rate, that was the end of family shooting there. I do have sister that lives about an hour away that has a pond that works great for shooting. They have to get permission each time we go out there though, and they don't like to shoot as much as I do. Living in Central California where there is lots of flat farmland but not too many good places to shoot.

frkelly74
04-07-2018, 07:45 PM
I think I may have to give the Bridgeport range a look-see. I have been through the area and didn't see or hear anything out there.

Idaho45guy
04-07-2018, 08:59 PM
Living in Central California where there is lots of flat farmland but not too many good places to shoot.

Just go to Fresno and find an abandoned lot and blast away; everyone there is used to the sound of gunfire, anyways... :popcorn:

gregtu
04-07-2018, 10:07 PM
I hear ya! I used to live in Fresno, but now I'm about an hour away. I have to admit, I don't miss the new years eve blasting away. You can probably find several videos of how Fresno police deal with a suspect with a suspected gun. No way would I shoot in an empty lot there! :shock:

Just go to Fresno and find an abandoned lot and blast away; everyone there is used to the sound of gunfire, anyways... :popcorn:

starmac
04-07-2018, 10:22 PM
It is no problem, once you start shooting, don't stop till your done and leaveing, nobody will even peek out their windows, till you stop shooting.

The easiest and cheapest state to shoot in, starts and ends with an A.And no, it isn't in the south. lol

Idaho45guy
04-08-2018, 12:33 AM
It is no problem, once you start shooting, don't stop till your done and leaveing, nobody will even peek out their windows, till you stop shooting.

The easiest and cheapest state to shoot in, starts and ends with an A.And no, it isn't in the south. lol

Yep. Arizona.

Lived there for seven years and for three of those years, rented a place out in the middle of nowhere and could shoot off of my porch and had ability to shot as far as I wanted to haul the targets on the ATV...

starmac
04-08-2018, 12:45 AM
Arizona would come in a close second. lol

fiberoptik
04-08-2018, 12:47 AM
I think I may have to give the Bridgeport range a look-see. I have been through the area and didn't see or hear anything out there.

I think dues were $50/yr.

Idaho45guy
04-08-2018, 12:56 AM
Another picture of my hidden valley...

Tom W.
04-08-2018, 01:11 AM
At the county WMA all you need is a current hunting license or an inexpensive yearly permit. If you're 65 or older all you need is a current drivers license. I've lived in Alabama for more than 40 years and have yet to be checked....

trails4u
04-08-2018, 01:06 PM
A lot of free ranges in SC.... DNR has some very nice ones. Dedicated pistol, 100yd, and 200yd facilities. They are staffed, and only open 8-5 Tues-Sat, but the ROs I've encountered have all been excellent at their jobs. US Forest Service also has a bunch of free ranges....they're unstaffed and open daylight-dark everyday. I mostly shoot at home....but the facilities we have in the State are pretty excellent!

wv109323
04-08-2018, 01:29 PM
In WV you can not shoot within 500 ft. of a house. You can not shoot across a public road. You can not hunt within 50 yards of a public road.

Tom W.
04-08-2018, 06:44 PM
That's the same in a lot of states, just common sense.

Bazoo
04-08-2018, 10:03 PM
In WV you can not shoot within 500 ft. of a house. You can not shoot across a public road. You can not hunt within 50 yards of a public road. Interesting to know, thanks for posting. Of those, the only one that applies in KY is the no shooting across a public road.

bob208
04-08-2018, 11:33 PM
where I am in pa. evert fourth house has a bench and back stop. some are 50 yd. some are 2-300 yds. our farm I have a 50 and 100 yard. but for hand gun or quick testing I shoot right off the back porch. thn there are private clubs every where.

RugerFan
04-09-2018, 03:18 AM

Except its not nearly as fun to shoot in the winter. I suppose the same could be said about AZ in the summer.

Yep. Arizona.

Lived there for seven years and for three of those years, rented a place out in the middle of nowhere and could shoot off of my porch and had ability to shot as far as I wanted to haul the targets on the ATV...

Having shot extensively in both AK and AZ, I must say I really like a Dec shoot at one of the several public ranges that can be found around the outskirts of Phx. Just drive down a dirt road, select a decent spot, set up targets and commence shooting. Great in the Winter anyway. I hope to be an official snow-bird one day, spending my summers in AK and winters in AZ.

15meter
04-10-2018, 08:55 PM

https://www.midnr.com/Publications/pdfs/ArcGISOnline/interactiveMaps/shootingranges/

Go here, Michigan DNR maintains a list of clubs that have volunteered to have their info published. Go and meet someone at a couple of the listed clubs and they will probably be able to point you to other clubs in the area.

Check with MUCC, Michigan United Conservation Clubs, they also maintain a list of clubs. Their list may be more all inclusive.

And for the OP:
Don't write off the private clubs, I belong to two gun clubs, wouldn't give up membership in either of them for the matches/leagues and friends. Not many free ranges will you be out shooting and have somebody show up with a 416 Rigby, they hand it to you with a couple rounds and tell you to shoot it���������������� not sure you can have any more fun than that with your clothes on! Pop

PBSmith
04-11-2018, 10:08 AM
https://www.midnr.com/Publications/pdfs/ArcGISOnline/interactiveMaps/shootingranges/

Go here, Michigan DNR maintains a list of clubs that have volunteered to have their info published. Go and meet someone at a couple of the listed clubs and they will probably be able to point you to other clubs in the area.

Check with MUCC, Michigan United Conservation Clubs, they also maintain a list of clubs. Their list may be more all inclusive.

And for the OP:
Don't write off the private clubs, I belong to two gun clubs, wouldn't give up membership in either of them for the matches/leagues and friends. Not many free ranges will you be out shooting and have somebody show up with a 416 Rigby, they hand it to you with a couple rounds and tell you to shoot it���������������� not sure you can have any more fun than that with your clothes on! Pop

Hey Pop,
Thanks for your post. I had no choice but to give up on the local club who asks $150 initiation fee and $100 annual dues. Not everyone here is loaded, at least not with green paper!!!

BTW, I'm surveying for a possible relocation. Needless to say, shooting is a high priority in my situation.

trebor44
04-11-2018, 10:16 AM
Having lived in the PNW for several decades, I have seen a consistent decline in the number of places for free, no hassle shooting. Lots of 'public' shooting spots trashed and subsequently closed because of the trash. Lots of private places closed and posted thanks to those who think because it is 'open range' and not cleaning up after themselves. And lots of recreation users (rv'rs, hunters, hikers etc.)now traveling or camping in areas that use to offer 'safe' shooting spots. And even long established developed ranges are threatened by new rural subdivisions. As the population increases in the West the shooting opportunities, like the game are on the decline. Consideration and conservation of open places to shoot should be constant.

Idaho45guy
04-11-2018, 11:22 AM
Having lived in the PNW for several decades, I have seen a consistent decline in the number of places for free, no hassle shooting. Lots of 'public' shooting spots trashed and subsequently closed because of the trash. Lots of private places closed and posted thanks to those who think because it is 'open range' and not cleaning up after themselves. And lots of recreation users (rv'rs, hunters, hikers etc.)now traveling or camping in areas that use to offer 'safe' shooting spots. And even long established developed ranges are threatened by new rural subdivisions. As the population increases in the West the shooting opportunities, like the game are on the decline. Consideration and conservation of open places to shoot should be constant.

That's what you get for welcoming all of those Californians down there... :mrgreen:

I lived in Boise back in `88 for a few months after high school. I rented a duplex on Resseguie Street and would take 8th street up into the foothills and shoot and hike all I wanted.

My little brother moved there after high school as well in `97. I visited him and didn't even recognize the area. I drive through Boise once a year or so to visit my sister in Twin Falls and can't believe what it's turned into. No thank you!

15meter
04-11-2018, 10:06 PM
Hey Pop,
Thanks for your post. I had no choice but to give up on the local club who asks $150 initiation fee and $100 annual dues. Not everyone here is loaded, at least not with green paper!!!

BTW, I'm surveying for a possible relocation. Needless to say, shooting is a high priority in my situation.

Don't know where the pop came from on my post was supposed to be a smiley. Official given to me by my parents is Dennis. Just don't ask what my mother-in-law calls me:bigsmyl2:

Harter66
04-12-2018, 10:38 AM
Rural NV is nice .
It's about 10 min to shoot 100-150 in a state/county gravel pit . About 30-45 min out in the desert or a 20 min boat ride and you can shoot as far as you can see . I've set in a duck blind and lost sight of 100ft building over flat water ...... In only 3 of 17 counties and a district is shooting on otherwise open land restricted . The Carson City district has a really nice I'd guess about 60 double lane range that is a city park about 15-20 min from the capital building . Outside of Clark county aka Vegas and sprall the public ranges are free and reasonably short drives . Douglas county is about 95% high rent farm land that butts up to Tahoe and lots of associated farmers in alligator shoes . Washoe county has the major metroplex on the south end but it opens up pretty free 30-45 min north , south or east .

Basically outside of the Reno/Sparks/Carson/Tahoe and Vegas urban clumps and maybe Elko immediate you can shoot all you want within 20 min and with a little poking around 2000 yd isn't hard to find .

PBSmith
04-12-2018, 07:06 PM

Thanks for posting on this problem. Precisely the same thing is happening elsewhere, and it's giving shooters and hunters a rotten reputation, though as you point out others rec users are also sometimes to blame.

It really isn't asking all that much to haul your trash home, but unfortunately many who go to the open shooting areas like old gravel pits, quarries and public property view these areas as free city dumps. I can see the day when the Fed and state agencies ban open shooting on public property because of the slobs who abuse the privilege.

Bareen
04-13-2018, 02:33 PM
Although I am in Illinois, I am lucky that I own land. It's only 20 acres, but it's plenty to shoot on. If it's been muddy or I want a marked range with flat ground, I live about 45 minutes from a range owned by the Army Corps of Engineers. $2 to shoot all day. Outdoor range with 25-50-100 yard distances. Always seems to be pretty friendly people shooting and I have only met a few other people that reload, so I volunteer to pick up peoples brass.

PBSmith
04-14-2018, 08:52 AM
Although I am in Illinois, I am lucky that I own land. It's only 20 acres, but it's plenty to shoot on. If it's been muddy or I want a marked range with flat ground, I live about 45 minutes from a range owned by the Army Corps of Engineers. $2 to shoot all day. Outdoor range with 25-50-100 yard distances. Always seems to be pretty friendly people shooting and I have only met a few other people that reload, so I volunteer to pick up peoples brass.

Thanks for posting, Bareen. I lived in your state long ago, Champaign-Urbana area. Recently have wondered about shooting in that flat land. You apparently live in a hilly district, possibly near the Miss R. valley. I won't ask exactly where, but am curious to know the location of the CofE range. I'm surprised to learn about such a facility.

Battis
04-14-2018, 09:24 AM
I know MA gets knocked as far as gun rights, and it should, but there's still plenty of places to shoot.
http://www.massgunclubs.org/mass_gun_clubs.htm

I shoot in southern NH, 2 miles or so from my house. I'm not a fan of gun clubs but this one is safe and people leave you alone.
I gotta say, traveling through Wyoming, North and South Dakota, I was kinda jealous when I saw shooting "ranges" on the side of the road.

Denver
04-14-2018, 10:39 AM

In the Saginaw area there is the Saginaw Rod & Gun Club off M46 West of town. They have trap and skeet as well as pistol and rifle ranges.

Rick N Bama
04-14-2018, 11:16 AM
At the county WMA all you need is a current hunting license or an inexpensive yearly permit. If you're 65 or older all you need is a current drivers license. I've lived in Alabama for more than 40 years and have yet to be checked....

Tom I've been checked on one occasion at the Swan Creek WMA in Limestone County. At that time I wasn't doing any hunting and so I had just purchased the "Heritage" License that allowed me to shoot there. The Officer chastised me for not paying enough due to the state needing the funds to maintain the range. Now that I'm over 65 I've been hoping that the same officer would show up, but alas he hasn't.

Bareen
04-15-2018, 02:22 PM
Thanks for posting, Bareen. I lived in your state long ago, Champaign-Urbana area. Recently have wondered about shooting in that flat land. You apparently live in a hilly district, possibly near the Miss R. valley. I won't ask exactly where, but am curious to know the location of the CofE range. I'm surprised to learn about such a facility.

Yeah, right on the Miss. River. The shooting range I mentioned is the David C. Berti Shooting Range. It is in the spillway area for the dam at the Mark Twain Lake. It is open year round, except for special events, severe ice, or government shutdowns.

southpaw
04-18-2018, 02:26 AM
I can not help, tho there some ranges in Pa. I happen to be one of those people that can pee off any porch. Can shoot any direction but prefer not to shoot in a couple. I know the backstops are good but I have other options.

Had some good times out here in the swamp with friends deer hunting.

Jerry Jr.