PDA

View Full Version : Timber (My Avatar) Has Cancer

smokeywolf
04-05-2018, 05:37 PM
He started limping suddenly. Took him to the vet and x-rays show cancer in the bone on upper Humerus (near shoulder) of left front leg. X-rays, including lung, show no signs of metastasizing to lungs, lymph nodes or anywhere else.
We had him in for a general checkup about 7 months ago and a blood workup was done. Showed good levels across the board with no signs of any organ problems.

Even though Timber is 11 years old, he appears to be a good candidate for amputation and chemo. We're trying to find a veterinary oncologist now. Fees for what he needs start at about $3500 and go up, way up.

Anybody else have experience with this situation?

Even though we're walking around teary eyed and in shock, we're trying to approach this logically and carefully. Best decisions are made by getting lots of good input. Don't want to make the wrong decision and never be able to forgive myself.

smokeywolf

EDIT: Not asking for donations, just experience, input and maybe some advice.

Der Gebirgsjager
04-05-2018, 06:00 PM
Smokey, I'm really sorry to hear about Timber. He's a beautiful dog and no doubt a great companion. I want to give you good advice, but it probably won't be what you really want to hear. But what you really want to hear is that a miracle is available and he will be o.k. Somehow I know that if you really think about it, you won't want your friend limping around for several more years on three legs. Looking at average dog longevity, he's already lived an average lifespan. My advice is to continue to enjoy him for a while longer until his condition advances, and then have him put down. It will hurt, and you'll miss him, but you can fill the emptiness with a new puppy. I'll remember you and Timber in my prayers.

Rcmaveric
04-05-2018, 08:06 PM
They have pet insurance and credit programs. I had dog get parvo. Cost me 6 grand but they had a payment plan.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

Finster101
04-05-2018, 08:25 PM
I'm truly sorry to hear this. I would think the movements of walking on three legs would be hard on the joints in them in an already older dog. I may be facing something similar as our girl, a Belgian Malinois is 12. we lost her sister last year. Jewel is in a pronounced decline but still eats well and gets around okay but slowly. Once she starts showing signs of pain we will have to re-evaluate. I try to put my self in her place and ask, would I like to live like that. I hate that they do not live as long as we do. Good luck to you and my best wishes for Timber.

James

tigweldit
04-05-2018, 08:27 PM
Smokey, My thoughts and prayers for you and Timber. I totally agree with Der Gebirgsjager. I went through the exact same thing with my dog many years ago. I did what was best for him, although it broke my heart. My biggest regret was not getting a new puppy sooner then I did.

smokeywolf
04-05-2018, 09:23 PM
Thanks everybody for input.

I won't allow Timber to suffer once the bad outweighs the good. But, from my studies, even older dogs adjust pretty well to three legs. Timber already does a pretty good impression of a couch potato and about as far as he goes now, is out to the truck or out to the patio to hang with me while I grill veggies and smoke meats. We're inclined to believe that even having to hobble on three legs out to the front or back yard, the good will still outweigh the bad.

We took an all-day trip up to San Louis Obispo yesterday. Back of my truck has a camper shell and Timber has a large bed back there. Rear cab window stays open, so he's with the family (pack) and still has a near 360 degree view while laying on his well padded bed. He enjoyed himself.

I've had to put two cherished companions down over the past 20 years. It's about the hardest thing in the world to do, but I also know that I would never forgive myself if I made them suffer due to my own selfishness.

MaryB
04-05-2018, 09:50 PM
Sorry to hear, pets become family members and it is a hard decision. Care Credit does a credit card for medical including many vets if that helps.

lefty o
04-05-2018, 09:54 PM
id not worry too much about the 3 legs, just have to make your best guess on his remaining time left due to age vs what the cancer will do. very hard difficult decision.

woodbutcher
04-05-2018, 10:35 PM
:sad: Man that just plain sucks.We had two kitties that cancer got.
Leo

AK Caster
04-05-2018, 10:48 PM
We had a Golden (Kodi) that went through the same thing. 8 years old and diagnosed with bone cancer in the front leg. Since the house we lived in had 4 levels our decision was to help him get through it with pain meds and kindness. He slept in our bed or the coach every night and we brought him fancy meals like baked salmon and other treats. About 4 months later he could barely walk so it was time for him to pass on so we took him to the vet.
The decision rests only on you, your family and your finances. May God help you might the best choice possible.

sparky45
04-05-2018, 10:56 PM
So sorry about the Cancer news. I had a pure bred Collie, looked just like Lassie and he got kicked in the L upper leg by a Bull and shattered his upper leg. Vet put his leg in a immobilizing plaster cast and shaped it in a wide U shape. He never had use of that leg again, but he adjusted to the loss and ran with the other dogs until his later years. I really enjoyed having the time with him and he never knew he was a crippled dog. I'll pray for Timber; they truly are a family member.

smokeywolf
04-05-2018, 10:57 PM
Since the house we lived in had 4 levels our decision was to help him get through it with pain meds and kindness.
No stairs in this house. Front door, back door, no steps. Handicapped (wheelchair) accessible from when we cared for my mother.

lightman
04-06-2018, 08:13 AM
Truly sorry to hear this. You have some tough decisions to make and I don't envy you. Been there done that. My Son went through this with a beloved pet. He spent a ton of money to have a leg removed. The dog adjusted well to this but the cancer had spread and all of this only bought about 6 months. Both Him and His Wife said that they would not do it again.

Timber is a beautiful dog and both of you will be in our prayers.

10-x
04-06-2018, 08:35 AM
Smokey, so sorry to hear about Timber. Just had to put our 2 nd Greyhound down due to kidney failure. Our 1 st Grey( avitar) had cancer and we had to put her down. Really hard to say but unless the vet can assure you the results will be good, putting him down before all the pain and suffering starts. Sadly Dogs dont live long enough. Hard to get another now as our last will be impossible to replace, maybe end of the summer.

glockfan
04-06-2018, 10:00 AM
been through that same kind of situation many many moons ago.

dog fell from the balcony and ripped of a cross ligament in its right front leg. the result of this accident was that his leg was in its way because he had no control over it anymore.

obviously , his lifeless leg was in its way all the time, dad took the decision for the amputation surgery,and it's been a real success. after that he was able to walk and even run a little with his friends across the street. the surgery has been the right decision . he lived 14 years ,7 on three legs ; he got a joyfull life,and i'm gonna admit that the fact he was a three leger got him a special statue, he was an attraction because people were stunned to see a dog on three legs looking like living a fullfilled life without apparent troubles,like any other dogs .

i'd say that, if you have the ressources for trhe surgery, go ahead and don't worry. dogs or cats can live their life on three legs EASY. while,as the vet said, the dangers and accidents waiting to happen with an animal trailing a lifeless leg are real. he can stumble on it, a ''dead''' leg is much more dangerous for him that having it amputated.

Arkansas Paul
04-06-2018, 11:04 AM
No matter how close we are to another person, few human relationships are as free from strife, disagreement, and frustration as is the relationship you have with a good dog. Few human beings give of themselves to another as a dog gives of itself. I also suspect that we cherish dogs because their unblemished souls make us wish - consciously or unconsciously - that we were as innocent as they are, and make us yearn for a place where innocence is universal and where the meanness, the betrayals, and the cruelties of this world are unknown.
― Dean Koontz

Three44s
04-06-2018, 11:05 AM
Sorry to hear about your canine family member. Prayers sent.

I had to go through a three legged dog decision many years ago. It was not cancer but a dog that was ran over. He was half the age of your dog and a rear leg. He was also a smaller breed as well,a border collie/blue heeled cross.

The bottom line is he did amazingly well.

I would however question the docs about the effects of the cancer treatments. Could it be that ampution without chemo might be an option? Less expense and not the downside of the chemicals.

Or chemo lite?

I have had a number of dogs thus far, we run cattle and they are all friends and companions first and workers second and I miss every one of them and cherish them while we have them. Everyone of these dogs has been a joy and as individual as the last one and the next puppy starts the whole process all over.

Best regards and good luck with your companion

Three44s

D Crockett
04-06-2018, 11:26 AM
I not a dog person been attacked 3 times but the cats I do love. about 6 months ago the people that lived next door there dog got out and attacked one of my cats. well to make a long story short he now has 3 legs. the vet asked me if I wanted to put him down when it happened. I was standing there with tears in my eyes thinking it not my cats fault that he got attacked. and it not faire to him to put him down so I deside on those facts to go threw the surgery. for me that was the best thing I could of done . now as far as that beautiful dog you have I hope and pray that this will help you in making the right decision. D Crockett

HABCAN
04-06-2018, 12:05 PM
Hard, oh! so terribly hard! But I agree with Der Gebirgsjager.............and you AND Timber will be in my prayers also.

white eagle
04-06-2018, 12:10 PM
age makes no difference when your friend is in trouble
My buddy Jack had a flipped colon at age 4 luckily we caught it
he had surgery for it facing about a 5% survival rate and thousands of dollars
we made it through and he is doing fine to this day
point is never quit on them no matter what you are told

Blackwater
04-06-2018, 02:13 PM
Gee whiz, Wolf! I HATE to hear this kind of news. As to advice, I really can't give any. I think you, being on the scene and loving this great dog the way you do, are the only one who can or ought to make the decisions in a case like this. All I can say is God bless you both and may God lead you to the best and most "right" decision. The only bad thing about great dogs, is the loss we feel when we lose them, or when they're hurting. Let the Lord lead you, and if it's his time to go, just let him go.

Most theology says that dogs have no soul, and can't go to Heaven with us. I'm not so sure of that. No animal in creation loves the way our good dogs do, and I can't help but wonder, and tend to believe, that this may well earn them a place in Paradise. It'll be great to see all my friends and relatives who've gone on before me, especially Mom and Dad again. But how could anyone NOT be overjoyed to see our best old canine friends, running and jumping on us, so happy to see us? If I'm wrong, I guess I'll just have to be wrong. I trust God to make the best of all possible decisions much moreso than I do myself. But whatever the case, I know for sure that the love they instill in us, and give us so selflessly, will never die. It can't help but change us, and make us better people. So in any case, at least part of them will always be with us, no matter what. I find some comfort in that, even when I mourn the loss of "one of the good ones." God bless you both.

Handloader109
04-06-2018, 02:37 PM
I've spent my fair share on my dogs. Spent a ton on a little one getting back surgery, never did recover and put him down a few months later. I'd not do another.
Unless you can spend this money freely, and truly could throw the whole amount out and never worry about it or have a second thought, I'd say don't do it.
Way too many downsides. Yep, I know. He's part of the family, but he is just a dog, remember that. Don't spend big money if you have other needs. Not cash, nor credit.

Three44s
04-06-2018, 11:02 PM
I would never agree that dogs don’t a soul .... so I am with Blackwater on that. Whether their “heaven” is at one with humans is way above my pay grade ..... I hope our heaven is the same as their’s and that I get to find out.

I do think there is merrit to consider economics and age is a factor but I also wonder about how dogs actually feel while being treated directly for cancer and age also factors there as well.

Whether it has been our aging cats or one of our dogs I look at the quality of life for the companion .... ie. If that pet could make the decision with 20/20 clarity, what would it chose. We people can easily be swept up in not wanting to miss our friend and transposing our “needs” with what the animal would prefer if it could have input.

I apologize if that seems cold, I assure all that is not my intention.

Three44s

RED BEAR
04-09-2018, 10:19 PM
I hope all works out. Dogs can truly be a best friend there is nothing in my power I would not do for mine.

Tom W.
04-09-2018, 11:12 PM
I had a beautiful Siberian husky that got cancer some many years ago. We found it too late....:cry:

Battis
04-10-2018, 12:42 AM
In 1991, we discovered that our shepherd-husky had bone cancer in her rear leg. She was ten at the time. We went the amputation/chemo route, and to this day, I regret it. She did fine on three legs but the cancer spread to her front leg within 3 months. Everyone has things they'd like to redo in their lives - having her leg amputated and putting her through the chemo is just about #1 on my regret list.

Three44s
04-10-2018, 09:08 AM
In 1991, we discovered that our shepherd-husky had bone cancer in her rear leg. She was ten at the time. We went the amputation/chemo route, and to this day, I regret it. She did fine on three legs but the cancer spread to her front leg within 3 months. Everyone has things they'd like to redo in their lives - having her leg amputated and putting her through the chemo is just about #1 on my regret list.

The nature of what the cancer could/will do is certainly the wild card.

So sad

Three44s

snuffy
04-10-2018, 11:25 AM
Smokey, so sorry to hear about Timber. My prayers are outgoing for both of you.

Back in March of '16 my golden Arrow was diagnosed with a cancer ,(don't remember the exact type), under the skin on his right ribcage. Just a huge flat lump. My vet said it could be removed, the cost was way more than I had, so I charged it to a credit card.

He was 11 years old and in otherwise good health. Pretty old for a golden retriever, but I wasn't ready to say goodbye. He had a rough time of it, had to spend overnight at the clinic. Was pretty chipper the next day, came home in the afternoon.

The tumor weighed 9 pounds! The cancer type was identified, she couldn't get it all, it had grown into the ribs. It would/did regrow, but it had evolved/morphed into a hard lumpy tumor that the vet said would break through the skin.

What I'm trying to say is; it gave me almost another 6 months with him, knowing that another surgery was out of the question, as much as it cost and he didn't do well on the first one. Chemo and or radiation was offered, expensive and no guarantees, for either one. He got special treats, no more diets because he was too heavy, and got lifted into the car for his favorite activity, car rides. He didn't appear to be in pain until about a month before the tumor broke through the skin. Pain pills were given, seemed to help, you just can't really tell if they're in pain.

Would I do it again? Yes without a doubt. It gave me time to deal with loosing him, time to shower him with special treats and lots of love.

I live alone, so a dog is the only company I have. The house was like a tomb so the search started the next day for another golden. I located a breeder not too far from my home that had 3 puppies available. From the time I heard of them, to when I was at their house was 3 hours!:-o Louie came home 5 days later, he just had his first birthday. What a joyful last year it's been watching a puppy grow and learn, it has made me feel younger. It helps heal the deep emotional wound left when Arrow passed.

As for whether a dog has a soul, I have no doubts. We have the poem "the rainbow bridge", If that's how it happens, I will be greeted by about a dozen pups from my first best buddy at age 5 to the last, Arrow. Heaven would not be complete without those that we loved in our lifetime being with us.

smokeywolf
04-11-2018, 04:43 AM

Battis, while your experience doesn't offer the kind of hope we would want, you have faced this and as they say, "been there and done that". Thanks for your input.

To all,
We have an appt. with the oncologist a week from tomorrow. While my decision won't be made until I speak with her, it will boil down to what will allow me to sleep at night.

Timber has been the most loving 4-legged family member we've ever been blessed to have with us. For our family and for geriatric patients at at least one hospital, Timber has been a therapy dog (wolfdog).

MrWolf
04-11-2018, 09:41 AM
I have had to put down a few dogs over the years. Typing this through tears. Never easy. I live alone now and have my 10 1/2 month old Great Pyrenees. I dread the day I have to make the decision again but know the joy he will bring me. We had a Cocker Spaniel with a huge tumor. Vet gave her 6 months. We had heard about giving flaxseed pills and tried it. She lived almost 3 years without much pain. I still take flaxseed oil myself just in case. Your decision is tough but I am with others who said consider their quality of life and ask is that how I would want to live. Only you can decide that. Good luck and prayers sent.

Battis
04-11-2018, 07:51 PM
I still ask myself if putting her through the treatment added time to her life or took some away. As we all know, cancer is a tricky business. Did the amputation cause the cancer to spread, or did it slow it down? But, remember, this was back in 1991 and I'm sure they've made advances since then. I had a sarcoma (cancerous tumor) removed from my leg in 2003, followed by 35 days of radiation. They told me that if it had happened ten years earlier, they would have taken the leg. I'm still here, with both legs.
That is a very tough decision you have to make.

redhawk0
04-11-2018, 08:22 PM
Smokeywolf...I'm sorry as well. Back in 2002 I had a black lab/golden retriever mix that had bone cancer at 10.5 years old. It was one of the toughest decisions I ever had to make but....I made it and I'm glad I did. I had her put down when she could no longer walk. It wasn't fair to her...and it wasn't fair to us as a family to let her go on.

I have to say...it was difficult...but time heals the pain. We're now on the second dog since her...I won't ever forget her, her personality, my hunting partner, a great family pet...but I made the right decision based on what was best for her and us at the time.

It's so hard and I feel for you...but believe me...you'll be able to move forward from this....you'll never forget Timber and you won't want to and those great times will always be with you.

Sorry for the hurt...but think about what's best for him. He's had a good life. Even if you did decide to have the leg amputated likely you're looking at another year with him at most due to his age. the larger breeds don't live past 11-12 typically.

redhawk

Boz330
04-12-2018, 09:21 AM
I've been through this several times with my Rots. Last one 5 years ago. A friend that is also a Vet says that typically you only get a few extra months from the chemo and you put the dog through the trauma of it. My last Rot had it in the rear right leg and the Vet advised against amputation because of the age and size of the dog. She went down hill in a hurry and it broke my heart to have her put down but it was time and she was in a lot of pain.
In retrospect the money would have been wasted had I gone with the amputation. From discovery to death, time was 2 months.
My sympathy is with you since I have been through it too many times but I keep signing up for it and the good out weighs the bad.

Bob

Lloyd Smale
04-13-2018, 07:48 AM
Man I'm so sorry. My dog is family and I know how you feel. I guess I have to agree though with some that say the best bet is to hold off till hes suffering and have him painlessly put down. At 11 hes an old man. Old dogs like old people heal slowly and chemo and amputation are going to be rough on him. He probably will be in pain until he dies. If he was 5 or 6 id be willing to even take out a second mortgage but not at 11. If I was 80 and found out I had cancer and needed chemo and an amputation I wouldn't do it myself and don't think id put my loved pet through it either. Money wouldn't play into my decision. Quality of life is what id be putting at the top of my priority list. I know you love your dog but would you be doing this for him or for you? That's the real question. Ill say a prayer for both of you though. No matter which route you go. Real love sometimes takes hard decisions.

clum553946
04-13-2018, 05:26 PM
Wishing the best for both of you. I’ll keep you in my prayers!

Three44s
04-17-2018, 12:55 AM
We have two fantastic farm dogs right now but their predecessor (Jack) is the dog I miss the most.

He made it to 14 yr. but we believe he was suffering from renal failure. He was not feeling to good one morning and I tested him with some cooked chicken. He had been pretty mobile prior to that time though his hearing was about shot and if he bailed off the feed wagon I had to run out and rescue him because the cow herd knew he was deaf and they tried to steam roll him from behind (out of revenge) ... he had nipped a lot of heals in his fourteen years and our mamma cows can hold a grudge.

In his day Jack would fight a buzz saw for a piece of chicken. But this day he refused to even sniff it. I knew he was in misery. I took him to his Vet and got the confirmation I hoped I would not hear. The vet said we could keep him around for a while with meds but the quality of life would not be much.

Jack was a dog’s dog. As a young dog his idea of entertainment was to swing from bullie tails. When the bull slowed down a spinnin’ Jack would let loose to see how much air time he could get.

As he got older he would size up a pair of bulls fighting and chose a tail to pull on to try to break up the disturbance. In case you are wondering, Jack was an Australian Shepard.

It has been 11 years since we had Jack put out of his misery. He lived a grand life and he deserved to be released from undue suffering and yes my heart broke as he drew his last breath but I knew it was for him the only compassionate decision.

Now I will go wipe away some tears

Best regards

Three44s

smokeywolf
04-17-2018, 01:16 AM
Tomorrow is Timber's appt. with the oncologist. Gonna be my job to evaluate what is best for Timber without regard to our need to keep him with us; all the while, trying to determine if the oncologist is putting Timber's best interest ahead of the size of her bill.

Three44s
04-17-2018, 01:26 AM
Smoke,

I hope it goes well, good luck.

Three44s

Lloyd Smale
04-17-2018, 07:20 AM
let us know what you found out pal and my prayers will go with you.

woodbutcher
04-18-2018, 11:39 AM
:( Sent another prayer or two to Saint Francis,the patron saint of animals.
Leo

Lloyd Smale
04-22-2018, 07:16 AM
any update Smoke??

smokeywolf
04-22-2018, 08:30 AM
Timber is 11 years and 4 months old. 11 to 12 years old is a normal life-span for his breed and size. We feel he's too old to have to go through the amputation and especially the chemo. We're leaning toward using diet, supplements, anti-inflammatories and pain meds to keep him around a little longer and as comfortable as possible, until he shows us it's time to say goodbye. Might be 3 or 4 months, but could also be only 3 or 4 weeks. I have an acquaintance who's a vet and I'm hoping she will agree to come to the house and do what needs to be done when the time comes.

Now that I've wiped some tears --- Most days are still good and even his bad days are still more good than bad. He got excited about a new snack today and started bouncing around; had to calm him down.

We got Timber when he was the size of a loaf of bread. Mrs. smokeywolf carried him in the same sling she carried our boys in when they were infants. Timber has never growled or even curled up his lip at anyone. Everyone loves him and he loves everyone. Can't count how many folks have taken selfies with him.

I will continue to update.

Thanks to all, for your caring, your concern and your prayers.

shdwlkr
04-22-2018, 11:05 AM
Over the decades I have lost many pets, never easy, my first pet was a cat that slept with me from 3 weeks old until I was sixteen. My next pet was a mixed dog that lived for many years and had to be put done because of cancer was all through him. I had a maine coon cat that had and attitude much like me that died when he had to have an operation and the vet feel asleep when he had to pass a hair ball and couldn't because he was still drugged up. The vet cried as much as I did. Hang onto your friend as long as you can you have a real bond with him and he with you.

parkerhale1200
04-22-2018, 11:39 AM
I feel the pain, it hurts, every time.....
Be strong to your doggie, he feels what you feel.
Give him the best, do what ever you can do with him.
Make every day worth it.

2017 jan, I walked the whole pack, give him the medication.
He give me an "goodbye" look.
You think you can get used to it, sorry,no.
That was number six, the allmost oldest boxer in Holland, 12 years and 8 months

I wish you and you're doggie all the best.

Three44s
04-23-2018, 02:27 AM
Sorry to hear about the assessment but what is best for your companion is what counts and you are “there”.

Prayers sent

Three44s

Lloyd Smale
04-23-2018, 06:27 AM
i wish i lived close by because his strict diet would include a lb of bacon at least once! Every time i come to this thread i tear up pal. It just reminds me of my last dogs last day (the one in my avatar) weve got a new chocolate now that's a bit over a year old but that last one was just one of those once in a lifetime dogs and theres more pictures of him in the house then there is our kids! Funny thing is the kids don't even mind because they were that close to him too. that rainbow ridge bridge is going to bring me right to him in a few years and if i know I'm dieing just that thought will make it much easier to except. Give him a good hug for me. Id pay 10k to be able to give old elmer just one more hug.

smokeywolf
04-23-2018, 12:58 PM
Timber has always eaten well. He has regularly eaten sardines, at least 6 lbs/week of regular and sometimes organic chicken and/or turkey, 4 lbs/wk of beef. He also has gotten, either mixed with his meat, or as snacks, shredded carrot, butternut squash, sweet potato, apple, blueberry, cheese, yogurt, cottage cheese.
We've backed off on his fats and proteins a bit in the last few months and recently found out that flax seed is good for fighting cancer.

On my recliner.

DCP
04-25-2018, 08:02 AM
I don't know what to say. It brings back some old memories. This is the road that every dog lover must travel. Blessings

DCP
04-25-2018, 12:32 PM
https://www.wimp.com/15-life-lessons-you-can-learn-from-dogs/

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
04-25-2018, 12:42 PM
Thinkin' about you guys! Been down this road a few times. It's never easy.

Smoke4320
04-25-2018, 12:46 PM
Reading threads like this become painful for me as I have had several wonderful dogs pass.. Peace be with you my friend .. and hold onto the good memories of him

smokeywolf
04-25-2018, 02:01 PM
The comments and support I've received from you kind and gentle folk have made dealing with our situation just a little more tolerable. Mrs. smokeywolf and I are very grateful for your support.

Thundarstick
04-25-2018, 04:07 PM
I've been following this thread, but my first comment. When I see your Timber I'm reminded of our Bear. They are about the same age and I see the same look on their faces, one of love, trust, and companionship, all the best qualities they have to offer. What a blessing! I'm afraid we are coming to the end of a beautiful relationship as well. God's blessings on you brother. Bless Timber with happy days.

RogerDat
04-25-2018, 04:39 PM
Nothing on can really say to facing this sort of loss that makes it any better. Our girl is now over 13 and has had a couple of tumors removed. Still enjoys life, manages to keep the younger pup in her place. The tumor on her leg left the skin tight which ended her agility career but bought her another couple years cancer free and without discomfort. The second tumor was mammary and a couple were removed it has been over a year since that. She is getting stiff when she gets up, limps a bit until she loosens up. Which as you know might be the cancer or could just be old age.

She still bounces when the leash get taken down to go to the park. So we will do what we can to make her comfortable for as long as she seems to enjoy life. No more surgeries. I think you are making the right choice about not getting an amputation. Letting her go is a tough way to have to show your love. May God grant you the strength the situation demands and give you comfort in doing right by Timber.

dverna
04-25-2018, 09:55 PM
Man this REALLY SUCKS!!

I have put down two dogs in the last 12 years and it made me cry like a wuss.

Will Rogers supposedly said “If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went”

MaryB
04-25-2018, 10:17 PM
Dogs pack more love into their short lives than most people do in their life!

shortfal
04-25-2018, 10:26 PM
Hard to read all this without kind of tearing up. My girl LUCKY, Pit/Lab mix will be 10 this fall and has had 2 mast cell tumors and a carcinoma removed the last year and a half. All came out clean with no after effects and mostly invisible sutcher lines due to her vets skill but I worry about her most every day and check her often for lumps.
I know where you guys are coming from!
Pete

smokeywolf
04-25-2018, 10:40 PM
Roger, the words that stand out the most in your post are, "Still enjoys life". That is the most important thing. While I read your post, Timber was having a "puppy dream" (woof, woof, woof) while snoozing by the front door.
When we had to put Sammy 219279 to sleep, it all happened suddenly. I cried off & on for a month or more. We're grateful that we can have some more happy times with Timber before having to say goodbye.

curdog
04-26-2018, 09:35 AM
We lost our 10 year old black mouth cur Winnie yesterday. Winnie had bone marrow cancer and went very fast. I pray for the best for Smoke because you cant find a more loyal friend than a good dog.

curdog
04-26-2018, 09:37 AM
I meant to say Timber I am still in a fog. Sorry

smokeywolf
04-26-2018, 10:59 AM
curdog, you have our most sincere and profound sympathy. When they leave us, they always take a piece of our heart with them. Would love to see a pic of Winnie when you can and when you're ready.

Lloyd Smale
04-27-2018, 05:40 AM
My prayers go to you and your family today. Some may criticize me for saying this but loosing a dog is as hard on me as loosing a close family member. I think I shed more tears over our last dog when he died then I did ever in my life over anything. I keep is picture in my avatar so i can say good morning to him every day!
We lost our 10 year old black mouth cur Winnie yesterday. Winnie had bone marrow cancer and went very fast. I pray for the best for Smoke because you cant find a more loyal friend than a good dog.

Ballistics in Scotland
04-27-2018, 02:10 PM
Nobody should ever be criticised for making the wrong decision in a situation like this.

Our cairn terrier when I was twelve had a sister who was born missing about half a foreleg. It was probably the breeders' fault, for breeding far too late in the parents' life. But they used to play at frantic speed whenever they met, and Sheila never seemed to enjoy life any the less. She had never know what having four feet is. Lanty Hanlon, our current Irish terrier, will warn off male dogs three times his weight - never small ones, even if they howl for his blood, because people would talk, and he knows it is only some mistake. But he has a friend who is a lurcher - greyhound sized, but wire-haired and just a shade paler than Lanty's auburn. That dog was rescued after severe maltreatment, and had a hind leg amputated after being mauled by a pit bull. But he still loves running, and he must be amazingly resilient, because he is totally undismayed by a manic terrier who has found that he can keep up with a dog he shouldn't be able to. An hour after they met he was asleep on our kitchen floor and Lanty, lying on his doormat, was looking out as usual, like a cowtown marshal surveying Main Street, not looking in.

Neither of those had the word "crippled" in their vocabulary, and I don't know if they are even aware of not getting around as easily as they used to. They certainly don't have to worry about being unemployed, and not meeting their mortgage payments. The psychological impact is nothing like what it would be for a human.

A dog can be bright and active at 11 and a while after. It's very much like my own age, and I would take a lot more years with any number of limbs I can get. But the cases I described weren't cancer. With accidental injury the results tend to be predictable. But as people have suggested, the key factor in cancer is the rather considerable chance that it will recur. There is no substitute for having a good vet you trust not to go for more lucrative business, and base your decision on the way he estimates the chances for your dog in particular.

smokeywolf
05-14-2018, 08:48 PM
An update on Timber.

He's still with us, still mostly good days. Been nearly 6 weeks since he was diagnosed. Yesterday he was limping pretty bad, today not so much. The Rimadyl (doggy Ibuprofen) helps a lot.

We have him on several different herbs and supplements which supposedly slow or reduce the spread of the cancer. With the exception of one supplement, which has to be squirted into his mouth with a syringe, all are administered (hidden) in organic beef, organic cottage cheese and high end sardines in olive oil. He turns his nose up at the cheap $1.00/tin sardines.

Last night I grilled/smoked Filet Mignon steaks, marinated vegetables and a Tri-tip. Timber got 3 or 4 good sized bites of both the Filet Mignon and the Tri-tip.

We're obviously watching his walking very carefully as the cancer is concentrated at the top of his left front Humorous and we're watching his breathing, as osteosarcoma is notorious for metastasizing to the lungs.

Cancer is nothing but the devil's work, but this extra time with him is a God-send.

Thundarstick
05-14-2018, 09:17 PM
God bless you all. From one dog man to another!

Lloyd Smale
05-15-2018, 04:56 AM
usually my steak is either sirloin or venison on the grill. That said my dad shake his head at me. When I cook steak for the wife and I theres allways one for the dog too!

MrWolf
05-15-2018, 10:02 AM
They are family. When I make eggs I make Ruger two or three eggs over easy. Likes that better than raw. Hey, he is my buddy and a great companion.

Ballistics in Scotland
05-15-2018, 12:26 PM
Nor many people would give raw egg or oiy sardines to a dog with Lanty's whiskers, and regular steak is a bit much, when he likes toasted cheddar just as much. But my wife got a deeply coveted job in January, and Lanty got his own personal steak that day, and a teddy-bear as big as himself. They'd do it for us.

I found out something pretty unpleasant recently. A few weeks back Lanty was attacked, without a shred of provocation, by a Staffordshire or pit bull terrier. It charged across the park while he was on the lead, a yard inside the gate. Lanty was ferocious (whippet lungs with a tenor larynx), but didn't bite while he could get out of it. I got him out of the park, but the really surprising thing was that while the bull terrier was raving at the railings, I held him and felt his pulse slowing to normal in seconds, like Hannibal Lecter. He just beamed at me, plainly saying "The help was appreciated, but I'd have managed." I don't know though, for there is a good chance a bigger dog will be put off by a therapeutic nip, but I don't think a pit bull would care.

I heard several reports of that same dog, I think, biting others. I suspect that his owner wasn't quite up to canine standards. Then came this report, on the BBC, that the dog, now deceased, was involved in fatally injuring a greyhound.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-south-scotland-43344061

smokeywolf
06-05-2018, 08:25 PM
Didn't realize how long it has been since I updated Timber's condition.

The "herbal remedies" we've been giving him seem to be doing some good. We eliminated his pain meds for 4 straight days, but since one of his holistics (which seems to play a substantial role in lessening his pain) has to be stopped every 11 day, for 3 days, to prevent a reduction of its effect from a possibility of his system getting used to it, his pain hit him last night with a vengeance. As soon as we recognized what was happening we got 2 Tramadols into him.

For nearly 3 hours, he was in quite a bit of pain. Not whining or whimpering, but kept shifting position to try and make it stop. The Mrs. and I laid on the floor with him, talking and petting him.

He's much more comfortable today. Still has a good appetite. Still can walk on his own (with a pronounced limp). Back on the herbals (Artemesinin) and anti-inflammatories (Carprofen), we're optimistic that we will see considerably less lameness tomorrow.

In spite of last night's setback, he's still experiencing a lot more good than bad. He lays by the front door and naps, dreams and watches the world go by.

charleswrivers
06-05-2018, 09:15 PM
Atreyu, my last dog had gotten a growth on his leg. We had it tested and it turned out cancerous. We spent about $1500 and had it removed when he was 7. We got 2 good years out of him before he had cancer spreading in his body. We put him down before he got bad but was starting to struggle and he just couldn't seem to catch his breath when he exerted himself. My wife and I decided it was time and made an appt. He actually had a decent stretch of dogs those last few... so I was a bit torn, but am convinced now it was the right choice.

He had actually gotten scrawny... and I put him on 'doggie hospice' his last 6 months or so. He always liked eating treats and such, and started mixing in wet food and stuff (he'd always had dry) pretty much everyday. He was downright plump in the end.

There's never a right time I can tell you... but I will say this: You obviously love your dog and want what's best for him. Whatever you decide is the right choice and feel good that you've given him a good life and you will make whatever end he comes to is dignified.

The night before last my ~6 month old pup I got 3 days after we took Atreyu for his last right got snake bit by a poisonous snake other than a coral snake. ~$1200 for antivenom/pain pills/antibiotics and she's back up and running after being in very bad shape. You do the best you can. I could have done more for her, like blood transfusions... because she was really struggling for a bit... but at a certain point, I figured I'd done as much as I was comfortable with.

smokeywolf
07-01-2018, 08:41 PM
Been remiss in updating Timber's condition. Happily, he passed a milestone about a week and half ago (6/17). On 4/17/2018, the veterinary oncologist gave him 2 months to live if we didn't agree to amputate his left front leg at the shoulder and start chemo immediately after.

Thanks to the herbal/holistic supplements, one being a supplement that is more commonly known for treating malaria symptoms, Timber is doing surprisingly well. He has a noticeable limp for the first minute or two after he stands up, but that almost completely disappears after that. He's needed only one Tramadol in the last couple of weeks and gets only two Carprofen each day for pain and inflammation. His sodium intake is limited and his iron intake is moderated.

Life is still good for Timber and we feel super blessed that we've been able to keep him happy and with us a little bit longer.

rl69
07-01-2018, 09:51 PM
I saw this the other day and thought of this thread

BPSharps
07-01-2018, 10:04 PM
smokeywolf I am happy to hear that Timber is still with you and having good days. I have been sitting here reading the whole thread with tears in my eyes. I recently lost my dog to cancer, it was very aggressive, spread through him like a wildfire. Timber is lucky to have a human like you. God Bless Timber and you and yours Sir.

smokeywolf
07-01-2018, 10:41 PM
Thank you BPSharps. I'm so sorry to for your loss.
Timber and I are both blessed to have Mrs. smokeywolf taking care of the both of us. While I started the research on diet and holistic treatment for Timber's osteosarcoma, she finished it, put it all together and implemented it.

DCP
07-02-2018, 07:15 PM
Thanks rl69

Why Dogs Never Die… This Guy Completely Nails It.

Bryce Harper

Some of you, particularly those who think they have recently lost a dog to “death”, don’t really understand this. I’ve had no desire to explain, but won’t be around forever and must.

Dogs never die. They don’t know how to. They get tired, and very old, and their bones hurt. Of course they don’t die. If they did they would not want to always go for a walk, even long after their old bones say:” No, no, not a good idea. Let’s not go for a walk.” Nope, dogs always want to go for a walk. They might get one step before their aging tendons collapse them into a heap on the floor, but that’s what dogs are. They walk.

It’s not that they dislike your company. On the contrary, a walk with you is all there is. Their boss, and the cacaphonic symphony of odor that the world is. Cat poop, another dog’s mark, a rotting chicken bone ( exultation), and you. That’s what makes their world perfect, and in a perfect world death has no place.

However, dogs get very very sleepy. That’s the thing, you see. They don’t teach you that at the fancy university where they explain about quarks, gluons, and Keynesian economics. They know so much they forget that dogs never die. It’s a shame, really. Dogs have so much to offer and people just talk a lot.

When you think your dog has died, it has just fallen asleep in your heart. And by the way, it is wagging it’s tail madly, you see, and that’s why your chest hurts so much and you cry all the time. Who would not cry with a happy dog wagging its tail in their chest. Ouch! Wap wap wap wap wap, that hurts. But they only wag when they wake up. That’s when they say: “Thanks Boss! Thanks for a warm place to sleep and always next to your heart, the best place.”

When they first fall asleep, they wake up all the time, and that’s why, of course, you cry all the time. Wap, wap, wap. After a while they sleep more. (remember, a dog while is not a human while. You take your dog for walk, it’s a day full of adventure in an hour. Then you come home and it’s a week, well one of your days, but a week, really, before the dog gets another walk. No WONDER they love walks.)

Anyway, like I was saying, they fall asleep in your heart, and when they wake up, they wag their tail. After a few dog years, they sleep for longer naps, and you would too. They were a GOOD DOG all their life, and you both know it. It gets tiring being a good dog all the time, particularly when you get old and your bones hurt and you fall on your face and don’t want to go outside to pee when it is raining but do anyway, because you are a good dog. So understand, after they have been sleeping in your heart, they will sleep longer and longer.

But don’t get fooled. They are not “dead.” There’s no such thing, really. They are sleeping in your heart, and they will wake up, usually when you’re not expecting it. It’s just who they are.

I feel sorry for people who don’t have dogs sleeping in their heart. You’ve missed so much. Excuse me, I have to go cry now.

This is so true, and this guy really captured it perfectly. SHARE this with your dog-loving friends.

rl69
07-02-2018, 07:32 PM
Thank you for reposting. I don't know why it downsized ?

gray wolf
07-23-2018, 07:35 PM
smokeywolf Sir, Julie and I are better knowing that your Pup is doing better.
Some may think we go a little over the top for our pet friends Read as (family members)
Prayers for you and your precious animal friend.

smokeywolf
07-23-2018, 08:32 PM
Thank you gray wolf.

Timber had a couple of bad days, weekend before last. Was starting to think Monday (last week) would be a terribly sad day. On Monday he was much improved and by Tuesday was moving and acting at near 100%. With the exception of once a couple of days ago, we've been able to take Timber off the heavy duty pain meds.

Oncologist gave Timber 2 months. He's now at 3 months and 6 days. Timber is still enjoying life, still gets excited over his breakfast and dinner and still gets excited about going out to patrol his yard and re-mark his territory.

Lloyd Smale
07-24-2018, 08:07 AM
Im glad hes still with you and will continue to pray for him. I measure a man by the way he treats his dog. I don't have a single friend that doesn't have a dog. Ive got some that are in between dogs but all of them are dog people. I thought when the last one passed id never have another because of the pain but bottom line is I could live without the love of a women and did for over 12 years but living without the unconditional love of a dog just doesn't seem like living to me. When that big 100lb lummox hops up in my lap and puts his head on my shoulder and stares into my eyes all is right with the world.

smokeywolf
09-14-2018, 01:34 AM
This is the update that I have dreaded posting.

Yesterday was the day that life became more bad than good for Timber.

Had the vet come to the house this morning. Timber left this world that he brightened so much, at 10:25 this AM.
During his lifetime, he attended many local school functions and did some therapy work at the Motion Picture Hospital. Even being part wolf, he never nipped or growled at anyone. He would often whine when people walked by without stopping to pet him.

He took a piece of our hearts with him. There's 3 of us in the house, yet the house seems empty.

Thanks to all of you who offered words of support.

Beagle333
09-14-2018, 01:51 AM
That is just heartbreaking. Prayers of comfort and support for you and your family. It is always such a big emptiness when we lose a furred family member. I do believe you took the right path though and did your best by Timber. I always say that my pet family will go on as long as their quality of life does. Again... my deepest condolences and I know that he will live on in your memories and family photos.

ThomR
09-14-2018, 02:05 AM
Sorry for your loss.

lightman
09-14-2018, 08:12 AM
Sorry to hear this news. Pets can become a part of you.

shdwlkr
09-14-2018, 10:32 AM
Sorry to hear that Timber has pasted. I have lost many pets over the decades and it is never easy. Prayers to all of you and know one day you will find your next pet and give them a loving home just like Timber had.

clum553946
09-14-2018, 01:31 PM
I’m so sorry to hear about Timber, please accept my condolences.

Battis
09-14-2018, 02:20 PM
When they go, they don't go far. Look around for signs. We were driving home from the vets the day we put our white Shepherd down (bone cancer), and there on the beach was a white Shepherd puppy - same color, same big ears, same curled tail. As bad as we felt, it was good to see that puppy.

woodbutcher
09-14-2018, 02:29 PM
:( Condolences to the family.It always hurts.
Leo

DCP
09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Pup TRIBUTE

“I will lend to you for awhile, a pup God said,
For you to love him while he lives
And mourn him when he`s dead
Maybe for twelve or fourteen years
Or maybe two or three.
But Will you ? till I call him back…
Take care of him for me.

He`ll bring his charms to gladden you,
and (should his stay be brief)
You`ll always have his memories
As solace for your grief.
I cannot promise he will stay
Since all from earth, return.
But there are lessons taught below
I want this pup to learn.

I`ve looked the whole world over
In search of teachers true,
And from the folk that crowd Life`s land
I, God have chosen You.

Now will you give him all your Love
Nor think the labor vain
Nor hate Me when I come to take
My Pup back again.

I fancied that I heard them say..
“Dear Lord, Thy will be done”
For all the joys this Pup brings,
The risk of grief we`ll run.

We`ll shelter him with tenderness
We`ll love him while we may.
And for the happiness we`ve known,
Forever, grateful stay.

But should you call him back again
Much sooner than we`ve planned
We`ll brave the bitter grief that comes
And try to understand

If by our love, we`ve managed
Your wishes to achieve
In memory of him who we loved,
to help us while we grieve,

When our faithful bundle does depart
This world of pain and strife
We`ll have yet another Pup
And we`ll Love him all his life”

MaryB
09-14-2018, 10:14 PM
Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

Lloyd Smale
09-15-2018, 07:52 AM
I hope hes playing with Elmer until we both get there to be with them again.

Finster101
09-15-2018, 09:04 AM
I am truly sorry to hear this. There are many here that have had the same experience as you are going through. We know it's difficult and each shares a little of your pain or they would not post here.

James.

MrWolf
09-15-2018, 09:57 AM
I am extremely sorry for your loss. Gonna go hug Ruger for a bit and dry my eyes.

redhawk0
09-15-2018, 10:35 AM
So sorry to hear of your loss. Condolences to you and your family...I know its a hard thing to lose a family member. I'm sure he's playing with my Ginger and Daytona in that big doggy meadow in the sky.

redhawk

DCM
09-15-2018, 10:02 PM
Very sorry for your loss, this all sounds way too familiar to our family.

lksmith
09-15-2018, 10:53 PM
He started limping suddenly. Took him to the vet and x-rays show cancer in the bone on upper Humerus (near shoulder) of left front leg. X-rays, including lung, show no signs of metastasizing to lungs, lymph nodes or anywhere else.
We had him in for a general checkup about 7 months ago and a blood workup was done. Showed good levels across the board with no signs of any organ problems.

Even though Timber is 11 years old, he appears to be a good candidate for amputation and chemo. We're trying to find a veterinary oncologist now. Fees for what he needs start at about $3500 and go up, way up.

Anybody else have experience with this situation?

Even though we're walking around teary eyed and in shock, we're trying to approach this logically and carefully. Best decisions are made by getting lots of good input. Don't want to make the wrong decision and never be able to forgive myself.

smokeywolf

EDIT: Not asking for donations, just experience, input and maybe some advice.

Going through a similar situation with my beagle/lab mix, Dixie. Who is 13, but the youngest 13 ever, she has zero arthritis, and can keep up with my parents hyper year old beagle terrier mix, and her charts correspond to a dog less than half her age. She has made it through heart worms and heart worm treatment
She got down and lost sensation and control of her hind end. Took her for emergency spinal surgery Thursday, and the prognosis isn't good. She now has sensation, but a high likelihood of recurrence. I'm looking at $3200 for her bills. But regardless of how it turns out, I can live with knowing I have done everything I can to make her better and won't have to wonder "what if".
Pets truly are family, I believe that God's gave us a great example of his unconditional, limitless love with dogs.
His only mistake when he made dogs was making their lives so short.

curdog
09-17-2018, 10:55 AM
I am very sorry to hear he has passed. I know the pain you are feeling very well...………………………….Take Care Curdog

smokeywolf
09-21-2018, 06:32 PM
Had to wait an inordinate amount of time to get it done, but drove to the crematorium, almost an hour away (vet had Timber's remains transferred there), and got Timber cremated.
He's home again now.

Didn't want one of their cheap Chinese boxes or urns. Brought Timber's bones and ashes home in a mylar bag, which in turn is in a near pristine condition 20MM GI ammo can that I've had and not used for most of 40 years.
For some reason it seems very appropriate. Mrs. smokeywolf says, maybe at some time in the future I should make a pretty box, but for now, she really likes the ammo can. Says she'll sleep better knowing he's in a very sturdy and secure vessel.

Speaking of sleeping, I'm still trying to get back on a more normal sleeping schedule. During the last 3-1/2 months of Timber's life, Mrs. smokeywolf and I monitored Timber round the clock. She had the day shift and I had the night shift.

Again, thanks to all of you for helping to get us through this. It truly would have been harder without you.

Echo
09-22-2018, 10:49 AM
Smokey, I'm really sorry to hear about Timber. He's a beautiful dog and no doubt a great companion. I want to give you good advice, but it probably won't be what you really want to hear. But what you really want to hear is that a miracle is available and he will be o.k. Somehow I know that if you really think about it, you won't want your friend limping around for several more years on three legs. Looking at average dog longevity, he's already lived an average lifespan. My advice is to continue to enjoy him for a while longer until his condition advances, and then have him put down. It will hurt, and you'll miss him, but you can fill the emptiness with a new puppy. I'll remember you and Timber in my prayers.

Three legs aren't all that bad. My Granddaughter has a terrier named Jack that got hit by a car several years ago. Amputated the (front) leg, and he is still getting along fine.

abunaitoo
09-24-2018, 05:18 AM
So very sorry to learn of Timber's passing.
I'm sure Timber was just as sad to leave.
Cycle of life is hard for those left behind.
I'm a cat guy.
But like dogs, and most any other animals too.
Friends say I like animals more than people.
Might be true.
No animal has ever hurt me, if I didn't deserve it.
Animals and I seem to understand each other.
I've lost three cats in my life.
Miss all three everyday.
Talk to them when I'm driving alone.
Pain of losing a friend never goes away.
You just learn to live with it.
I also have the ashes of my three friends.
Have it in my will that all of us will be scattered, together, when my time comes.
Brings a little bit of comfort to me.