PDA

View Full Version : question: lube and how long till use cast boolits?

lordgroom
09-07-2008, 09:43 PM
I have heard that you should wait 2 weeks before using bullets you have cast because they continue to harden. Has anyone heard this? If so can I at least load the bullets or should they sit for 2 weeks even before loading.

I thought I had a sizer die for 45-70 bullets but I was mistaken. I will have to order one. I am actually on vacation now and began thinking. If I was going to fire the bullets unsized, could I use LLA for 45-70 loads? Typically I use Voodoo lube. Could I smear this on by hand or melt it in a double boiler and dip the bullet in?

As I said, I am on vacation and I brought my casting equipment and reloading equipment. In the past week I have cast:

1100 boolits for 9mm
300 for the 8mm
300 for 38 special

I have loaded 1500 rounds of 45 ACP, 800 rounds of 38 Special, and I am about to begin working up a load for a 300 grain RNFP 45-70 round using unique.

I have discovered that I love the Lee 6 cavity molds!

What a great vacation so far. Oh and the beach in September is wonderful.

docone31
09-07-2008, 09:52 PM
I cast, I lube, I size, I load. I have not noticed a difference in waiting. I have some I have cast that I still have not sized. I size them as needed, and I do not notice much difference if any.
I also pan lube. I get better lubing, and sizing that way.

mooman76
09-07-2008, 10:11 PM
Yes they do get harder but unless you really need them to get harder, load and shoot. You can at a minimum size and load or load unsized. You can use LLA. So go ahead and do that Voodoo that you do so well. Oh and yes you can dip the bullets in the lube, smear it on or whatever, be creative. When I dipped I put the bullets in the freezer first so the lube would harden quick!

Lloyd Smale
09-08-2008, 07:55 AM
i dont know if alox would harden or only freeze in the freezer and when the bullets thawed it would still need to dry. Also you can have problems loading bullets right out of the freezer.(ask me how i know) When you load them and they warm condensation will form on them and it can deaden your powder charge. If you find a need to freeze bullets make sure you let them warm up to room temp and the condesation is dry before you load them.

sniper
09-10-2008, 02:24 PM
do that Voodoo that you do so well.

VOODOO?

Who Do?

You do Voodoo?

We do Voodoo?

This is all very confusing! 8-)

Is it necessary to lube under a full moon + - 3 days? Are any chickens injured during the ceremony?:mrgreen:

felix
09-10-2008, 02:28 PM
No, we wear short shorts. While casting, that is, and under the moonlight too. ... felix

http://www.lyricsdownload.com/royal-teens-short-shorts-lyrics.html

lordgroom
09-10-2008, 03:10 PM
http://www.voodoo-lube.com/

Members of the Cast Bullet Assoc receive a discount. Great stuff and no heater needed.

runfiverun
09-10-2008, 06:22 PM
i really don't worry about when i size or lube, except with stuff that is gonna be hard,
or hardened.