PDA

View Full Version : Made a new buddy today

Snow ninja
04-04-2018, 08:35 PM
Out burning some brush this afternoon in my back yard when this fella shows up out of no where. My nearest neighbor is a mile away so who know where he came from. Real nice and knows a few commands, but no collar or tag. I can tell you, he does like Vienna Sausages...

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180405/e91abd99aa8941867848fee8ba975a68.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mica_Hiebert
04-04-2018, 08:41 PM
We had a nice golden retriever crash the kids egg hunt on Sunday, luckily he had tags with a number to call, his owners came and gathered him up in about 15 minutes, he must have wandered a ways from home as well.

richhodg66
04-04-2018, 08:45 PM
I'm kind of casually looking for another dog now, not in any rush. Had to put one down we'd had about 15 years about a month ago and I didn't realize I'd miss having a dog around so much (we are cat people mainly). It seems like in my life, the dogs we've had have just kind of "happened" and it will probably work out like yours did, one will just show up somehow.

Looks like you got a good one by luck.

retread
04-04-2018, 08:45 PM
Labs make good neighbors. :razz:

condorjohn
04-04-2018, 08:59 PM
Maybe he has a chip. County animal control can check.

GhostHawk
04-04-2018, 09:01 PM
Looks like a sweetheart. Someone is missing him.

CastingFool
04-04-2018, 09:04 PM
Some times people drop unwanted animals off out in the country. We have been blessed with some of these drop offs a few times.

Snow ninja
04-04-2018, 09:12 PM
Been wanting a dog, casually as someone said earlier, since my last one died a couple years ago. I found her on the way home from work one day about 15 miles from my house. She was wondering in the middle of the North bound lane while I was heading south. Turned around at the next median crossing to get her off the road. As I got closer I noticed her gait was "off" and she was skin and bones. I parked on the shoulder and wandered over to her and picked her up (luckily there was zero traffic that day) put her in the car floorboard and took her home. It was summertime so I gave her a bucket of water and some scraps to eat. Told my wife I wasn't sure if she'd stick around overnight, I figured if she left I at least have her a good meal. I woke w up the next morning and she was on the front porch. She hung out for the next 4 years...

lefty o
04-04-2018, 09:18 PM
id be surprised if someone isnt looking for a missing lab. quite likely it has a chip, and those can be scanned by most vets or animal shelters.

LUCKYDAWG13
04-04-2018, 09:21 PM
Looks like a sweetheart. Someone is missing him.
My thoughts too looks Cared for and loved

Moonie
04-04-2018, 09:30 PM
Check for a chip and try to find anyone that might be missing him, you would want the same done for any of your missing pets. If none are found, he is yours.

Minerat
04-04-2018, 09:44 PM
Probably slipped it's collar. Sure hope you find the owner, but if not then sounds like the dog has found a caring new owner. Good luck.

richhodg66
04-04-2018, 09:48 PM
Last Summer, wife and I were coming back from a movie on Saturday night late. We live out in the sticks and were along rural highway when she noticed a dog walking along the side of the road. We stopped and he obligingly came up to the car. I really didn't want to pick up an unknown dog with my wife in the car so we went a few miles to the house and I got my truck and went back to where he was but couldn't find him. The next morning on our way to church, there he is lying in the middle of this rural highway and I thought "Oh no! He's been hit" We were driving two cars, so I stopped and carefully walked up to him, turned out he wasn't hurt at all, he was lying in the shade of a big tree in the middle of the road. He was just taking a breather. Took him to the town we used to live in and where we still have a house my son is living in and where we still attend church and left him with some water and food in the fence. He was friendly but not needy and just generally pretty laid back. Wife got on the local facebook buy,sell trade and posted a picture of him, got a phone call inside of ten minutes from the daughter of the old man who owned him. Turned out he belonged to a house a mile or two from where I found him, so I called the guy and said I'd bring him back. I rolled into his drive way and that gentleman was almost in tears. The dog was 18 years old and he had had him since he was a small puppy he got from the pound. The old dog had gotten scared by fireworks the night before and wandered off and his owner was worried sick.

I had seriously thought about keeping that dog, I really wanted to, but I'm glad I didn't. If it were me, I'd try to find out of someone was missing him. If he was just put out like a lot of dogs and cats end up out in the country, then nobody will claim him and he's yours, but I think you should try.

Snow ninja
04-04-2018, 10:13 PM
Seems to keep hanging out on the porch, I'll call the animal control department in the morning.

lightman
04-05-2018, 08:08 AM
Thats a nice looking dog! I agree, he looks too well cared for to have been abandoned. Someone is missing him!

richhodg66
04-05-2018, 08:13 AM
And if not, looks like you got yourself a good dog. Win-win either way.

tigweldit
04-05-2018, 08:32 AM
What good hunter doesn't like Vienna sausage? Thank God he's not a vegan!

LUCKYDAWG13
04-05-2018, 10:02 AM
Oh man don't do that they may take too a shelter that kills that is a good looking dog that is loved just look at his coat

MUSTANG
04-05-2018, 10:32 AM
I'm kind of casually looking for another dog now, not in any rush. Had to put one down we'd had about 15 years about a month ago and I didn't realize I'd miss having a dog around so much (we are cat people mainly). It seems like in my life, the dogs we've had have just kind of "happened" and it will probably work out like yours did, one will just show up somehow.

Looks like you got a good one by luck.

Our last 4 Dogs (3 Lab's a Yellow and two Chocolates; and a German Shepard) all adopted us. Three just showed up on the door steps and refused to go away; seeming to say "We Live Here", and then found our current Chocolate Lab in Central Nevada running wild with all the ribs and backbone sticking out. After throwing a few pieces of jerky to him he decided to jump in the Jeep; he's healthy and well filled out now 8 years later; but do not get between him and the Jeep when we are ready to "Go for a Ride", he becomes extremely enthusiastic and will knock one over to get the the Jeep.

Gotta love a FOUNDLING Dog.

Hardcast416taylor
04-05-2018, 02:42 PM
Sadly back in the `50`s and `60`s we had a recurring problem on our farms of `city people` dropping off their dogs along side our buildings roadside. Aside from the animals being hungry or mal nurished they were a problem with `running` our penned animals. It got to the point we kept a Lee-Enfield #4 behind the kitchen door with 8 rounds in the magazine. It was cruel by some standards, but we tired of rounding up cattle that went thru fences chased by dogs. I took down a white German shepard once that had a calf down and was gnawing on its head. The dog was skin on bones, the calf had both ears chewed off. Another time I emptied the magazine on a pack of 5 dogs chasing 2 deer across a field at about 200 yds., only 2 dogs escaped.Robert

Snow ninja
04-05-2018, 04:37 PM
Well, the animal control lady came out and checked him out. No chip, and she hasn't heard of anyone looking for him. She said he's mine if I want him, or she offered to take him to the pound. So, looks like I've made a new family member, I'll tell my son to come up with a name when he gets home from school. Should make his day.

shooterg
04-05-2018, 04:43 PM
Well that's a DOG gone good ending !

richhodg66
04-05-2018, 09:49 PM
Yes, it is!

condorjohn
04-06-2018, 09:56 AM
GREAT! So, what's your new buddy's name?

LUCKYDAWG13
04-06-2018, 01:24 PM
That's awesome congrats

HATCH
04-06-2018, 01:26 PM
that is a good looking pup.
Just looks like my youngest dog.

falmike
04-07-2018, 07:31 AM
It is a good thing you have done. He will repay your kindness!

Petrol & Powder
04-07-2018, 07:53 AM
Looks like you have a new dog!

Bookworm
04-07-2018, 07:55 AM
Most loyal dog I ever had was a stray that showed up, quite literally 'skin and bones', on my porch.
It was a Rat Terrier. Smartest dog I've ever been around.

Heckuva mouser too.

glockfan
04-07-2018, 09:08 AM
well done!! he's a lucky guy who found a caring family. my heart is breaking each time i hear such story. i can't support the view of a lost pet wandering around looking for his master.

he looks well groomed and from the pic he seems calm and healthy. maybe one day his ''dad-mom''' will show up to reclaim him. not sure what i would do in such case; i tell myself that if someone is irresponsible of his dog enough to leave it escaping without looking around really hard to get it back, your family is probably a better place to live for him.

Thin Man
04-07-2018, 07:55 PM
Our oldest daughter and her family "found" a 6-month old pup that would have looked like the one in this thread except that he was skinny as could be and was covered in fleas and ticks. The family had rented a cabin in the Smoky Mountains and the dog found them one morning. The contacted everyone who could give a lead if anyone had reported a missing pup but got no response. That was 2 years ago and now he is well fed and clean and weighs around 75 pounds. He is a shepherd and perhaps Rottweiler mix, or something in that area, so says the vet. Strong as a bull and has a very strong "protective" instinct. He is a lot of fun to be around if he knows and likes you, but not so much if you are a stranger to him.

Snow ninja
04-07-2018, 08:38 PM
GREAT! So, what's your new buddy's name?
Son decided to name it Bo. He was adamant that it was spelled Bo, not Beau. I was cool with that.

LUCKYDAWG13
04-08-2018, 09:24 AM
You will have to post a few more pictures of you new family member from time to time and Bo is a fine name