PDA

View Full Version : The best mould I never knew I have - Lyman 358212A.

Petander
04-04-2018, 01:41 PM
Very funny - I'm getting back to casting after a few year's break. So I went through my moulds the other day and found one without handles that caught my attention... I'm sure I've never even tried to cast with it. Never did a RN 358 of any kind. I don't remember how I got that mould either,it may have come with a used LAM or something else I bought in a misc. box years back.

It says Lyman 358212A , also K2 and 561. It looks good,no rust which sort of surprises me because there's no grease or oil either.

So I put handles on it,dust my old RCBS pot and give the mold a try with 85%WW/15% Linotype. Medium/hot alloy. Tighten the cutter just a tad and put a drop of grease there. Everything feels just right from the start,very soon I'm dropping silky smooth beautiful boolits in a good pace. No sticking or any other problem, doesn't overheat easily (a good cool weather though), I just can't stop my little test experiment at all.

I have 20 or so moulds,some nice custom ones too. This mould just became a new treasure of mine, even if I can't get them shoot I will still cast for the strict fun of casting!

dimaprok
04-04-2018, 02:40 PM
Nice!

Bookworm
04-04-2018, 06:35 PM
Finding hidden treasure is neat !

tazman
04-05-2018, 09:49 AM
I have a copy of that mold. It works splendidly as well.
The boolit it produces is quite useful in both 38 special and 9mm. It has a long nose which allows seating a shallow depth in 9mm even though it drops at 147 grains with my alloy. Very accurate in my pistols.
I have shot it with success in my 38 revolvers but have other molds that work as well.
I wish I could find a 4 cavity version of it.

Petander
04-06-2018, 10:27 AM
Yes this looks very good.

Feels so strange, I must have learnt something during the casting break. Casting boolits has never been this easy!

Petander
04-11-2018, 02:58 PM
This shoots fine in 9mm.