PDA

View Full Version : Should I buy this . . . (input sought)

09-07-2008, 03:49 PM
I know this isn't exactly the best place to ask this, but I trust the opinions here more than anywhere else.

I have a chance to buy Huglu Shotgun(s) factory direct. Supposedly these prices are significantly better than the normal means. I have read some who advise against buying Huglu in the first place, but the way this deal is set up I don't have a choice of brands. So its Huglu or nothing (which might be OK). What input does anyone have on the quality of this brand?

Anyway, got a price list and what the representative is bringing, have the ability to request something "special" that is not on the list if I get submitted in time.

Leaning towards an upland gun, as I already have the waterfowl piece covered and have some very specific plans for that in the distant future (10 ga BPS). My initial thought is to go with a 16 ga or small bore SxS. Could also go O/U, but my druthers are SxS, just because. I have very little experience with doubles, so I'm looking for input on that. Some these choices will be narrowed down based on availibility, but I want to have a good idea what I'm doing before I meet with the rep. I will have the ability to see and handle samples. I would also consider just going with standard 12 or 20 gauge, though that's not my first preference.

Cost will be between $545-$675 out the door for small bores, depending on the amount of engraving, type of finish, etc. That is for double triggers -- I've gathered that I want to stay with double triggers with this brand and single triggers drive the price up. I'm looking on the lower end of that spectrum. The models are 201A, 202A, and 202B.

Also have some control over stock and forend style, but it all boils down to what is available. I guess the best way to put it is that they have lots of options, but I may have to choose from what they have on the rack because there may not be enought time for them to build a custom gun.

I know the 16, 28, and .410 are costly to shoot, but I would reload. Plus I just enjoy shooting something that isn't "common." Kind of like 300 Sav over 308 Win.

Is this a good deal or should I just keep my money in my pocket? Buying these would postpone the Kimber 8400 or Thompson M1928 I had planned on in 7-10 months.

At the same time, it would make a nice keepsake of a trip.

I have a couple weeks before making any decisions, though the sooner I put in my preferences the more control I have over my finished product. Please give me your advice.

Thanks,
Josh

C1PNR
09-07-2008, 05:12 PM
I have no opinion as to the maker and the quality of the product. I know nothing about them.

I agree with your choice of S x S and double trigger configuration. I didn't always think that way, but have come over to the "I'm in control" point of view in the last few years. And, if available, how about the English style wood for a real light weight field carry piece.

I find your choice of 16 gauge interesting to say the least. Long fallen out of favor and only recently having a slight resurgence, and handloading is certainly the only way to go with this one.

My first choice, though, would be the 28 gauge, followed by the 20 gauge, and then a 16 or 12, handloading for whichever one you choose.

My personal view is that upland bird hunting is really more like "hunting" than just killing when using a 28.

In the end it does all come down to what you really want, but every one of us here are more than happy to act as your official enablers!:drinks:

Boerrancher
09-07-2008, 05:16 PM
The best shotgun I ever had is a SxS double barrel 28 ga. One barrel is an Imp Cyl, and the other is Mod. There is not a gun in this world that I would trade that little 28 ga for. with the Imp cyl barrel and #5 shot, I get at least 1 pellet per sq in at 30 yds on a 12in x 12in target, and at lest 2 pellets on the same type target with the Mod. barrel. To fully set the record straight I hate shotguns. I own several but refuse to use them, but I look forward to every opportunity to shoot my 28 ga.

Best wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe

Dark Helmet
09-08-2008, 03:00 PM
Do the 28

schutzen
09-08-2008, 06:42 PM
Be the envy of everyone you shoot with, a side by side 28 gauge. Ohh, sweet!

msp2640
09-10-2008, 01:53 AM
I was looking into a Huglu SxS about a year ago that was used, 20 ga. in nice shape and the store wanted $725 for it. I waited and it was gone when I returned 3 days later. I then looked into the company a little more and if I recall correctly they were making shotguns for CZ arms (SxS's and O/U's). Long story short, I was able to pick up a NIB 20ga SxS with 28" bbls and a PG stock (think it's a Ringneck model) from CDNN when they had a sale on them about a year ago for $599. I think that was under dealer cost at the time. I very much like it, nice turkish walnut stock with oil finish, nice case colors on the receiver with a bit of engraving. I have put only two boxes of field loads thru it, but it handles nicely and I enjoy shooting it. I always wanted a 20 ga double and it fits the bill very well especially at a price that I don't think I'll ever loose money on if I had to reselll it. Hope that helps out.

09-10-2008, 03:10 AM
Thanks for the replies -- everything I gather on another site is that most of that shotgun toting world looks down on Huglus. Some say they are great. I see lots of posts to the effect of, for the price of a new Huglu, you can get a used Brand X (usually Beretta). Still undecided.

09-17-2008, 09:09 AM
BTT -- last chance for any thoughts -- the vendor comes tomorrow and I'll be able to lay hands on these. I've put in a request to reserve a SxS in 28 or 410 -- the one 28 they had listed had more engraving than I wanted and I figured it would drive the price up. Also heard that the vendor may be will to bargain some, so maybe I can get all the way down around $500.

13Echo
09-17-2008, 12:11 PM
A 28 would be sweet, especially if made on a 28 guage sized action. If it is made on a 20 guage frame it may be a bit awkward looking in which case I would council the 20guage. Also it is possible for the shotgun to be too light to hang and shoot well. Dad had a lovely 28 guage that weighed less than 6lbs. It patterned beautifully and shot to point of aim. Wonderful to carry all day but he described the handling as "whippy" and he could not hit with it. His favorite upland shotgun was a 20 guage Bernadelli with 28" tubes bored IC and Mod. Light at 6.5lbs with a straight, English style stock and splinter foreend. With this he was deadly on quail.

At any rate I love a good double. It is the classic shotgun and I believe the most handsome.

Jerry Liles

shotman
09-18-2008, 12:29 AM
the 28 is a nice gun if you reload but at $10+ a box for shells its not for a 10 box day on the weekend, shotman

9.3X62AL
09-18-2008, 01:11 AM
Gun people tend to be pretty brand-favoring types, and shotgunners are the worst of the lot. If you have the chance to handle one of the Huglu examples, throw it up to your shoulder and see how if feels to YOU.

The 28 gauge is a VERY pattern-efficient gauge, but the 20 is a lot cheaper to feed with factory ammo and has a MUCH wider selection of loads (think shot sizes here). If you're willing to handload, the 28 is not far behind the 20 until you start shooting 3" shells (assuming the 20 bore is so chambered).

Scrounger
09-18-2008, 01:26 AM
And 12 is best of all. There are 7/8 oz loads on the market, same size as light 20 gauge but you get a better pattern in the 12 gauge barrel. Also there is plenty of loading data for using 3/4 oz (28 ga size) in 12 gauge. I have even cobbled up 1/2 oz loads that patterned better than your average .410. Once they found out 3/4 oz loads broke as many skeet birds as 1oz in the 12, many shooters started shooting 28 ga guns in the 12 and 20 events. Only need one gun to shoot all three events.