PDA

View Full Version : Going to try JPW again

Cloudpeak
09-07-2008, 01:42 PM
When I had my M&P 9mm full size, I lubed some Lee 105 gr. SWC bullets with Johnson Paste Wax only and the pistol fired the best group ever: .383" for four shots, offhand at 7 yards (yes, the 5th shot was a flyer). But, the bore leaded badly.

I'm going to experiment with JPW only and this bullet in my CZ Compact. (I've shot this bullet lubed with LLA and then coated with JPW and it shot well with no leading.)
I'm going to lube 100 bullets and load them with 3.5 gr. of W231 as this is my most accurate load in the CZ and I'll have something to compare to.

So, how much JPW do you think I should use to lube 100, 105 gr. 9mm bullets? Level tablespoon, teaspoon, etc.? I plan on melting the JPW and tumble lubing ina "Cool Wip" container.

Thanks, Cloudpeak

straight-shooter
09-07-2008, 05:21 PM
Another member here told me to not even bother to melt the JPW. Just "shave" some and place it in your cool whip container and tumble. Worked really well for me. If your not sure of the amount to use just start out with a small amount and tumble and then if your not satisfied with the coating, just add a little more. Another idea is to mix 70% JPW and 30% alox and tumble. No heat necessary here either.

WHITETAIL
09-07-2008, 05:46 PM
:Fire:Cloudpeak, I have good luck with JPW.
The way I do it is.
Get a jar big enough to hold all the bullets you want to coat.
Then put them in the jar with 2 tblsp. of JPW.
If they look like they need a little more then add more.
Swish them around in the jar untill they all look coated.
Then warm them in the jar on the stove.
Not too hot!
Just enough to see a little liquid on the bottom.
Then take them out with tweezers and stand them on
wax paper over night.:lovebooli

Cloudpeak
09-07-2008, 07:53 PM
:Fire:Cloudpeak, I have good luck with JPW.
Then take them out with tweezers and stand them on
wax paper over night.:lovebooli

I think that would drive me nuts (and I don't have far to go:-D)

I'm casting and lubing thousands of bullets and prefer to do it the "lazy man's way", whatever that might be. Standing thousands of little 105's up on wax paper---- well, let's just say, I'm not getting any younger (or steadier) and would like to accomplish my mission as quick and easy as possible. But, thanks for your other ideas.

Cloudpeak

Boerrancher
09-07-2008, 08:46 PM
For many of my handgun loads I don't bother to stand them up, and I never warm them to the point that there is liquid in the Jar. If while I am tumbling them in the jar, they happen to be/get warm enough to start forming a liquid in the bottom of the jar, then I let them cool. I shoot JPW exclusively now in both rifles and pistols. When the JPW gets to be the consistency of runny snot that is when I dump them on the wax paper. Rifle boolits that are going 2000+fps and getting a gas check and a second coat get stood up. Pistol boolits are just spread out. They do dry better when stood up and the JPW tends to settle more in the grease groves, which works out well for multiple coatings. Here is a pic of what one of my Pistol boolits looks like after 1 coat of JPW have fully dried.

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk155/Boerrancher/101_0212-1.jpg

Here is a rifle boolit with 2 coats on it.

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk155/Boerrancher/101_0205.jpg

This is what my boolits look like before they get stuffed in a case and fired down the tube. The brown you see is areas where the JPW was a bit heavier. I don't have problems with flaking that others describe with thick coatings is because I try to keep the JPW and the boolit at the same temp all through the coating and drying process. I hope JPW works as well for you as it does me. I have posted MOA groups shot at 100 yds with an open sighted mil surp 30-06 useing nothing but JPW as a lube. I have put about 300 rounds through that rifle so far and haven't had to clean it yet, there is no lead.

Best Wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe

Cloudpeak
09-10-2008, 02:03 PM
I shot 100 rounds of the Lee 105 gr SWC bullets lubed with JPW today through my 9mm CZ Compact. I got a small amount of leading, easily removed with a few strokes through the bore with some Chore Boy. This was similar to what I get with LLA though I think the JPW fouling is just a tad more difficult to remove.

Cloudpeak