PDA

View Full Version : help...

Tom W.
03-31-2018, 01:57 AM
Thursday I found an old thread about using a .40 S&W case for a bullet for a .44 RemMag. I believe it was on this forum, but I searched and can't find it now. I remember annealing a case, filling it with molten lead, filing it flat and using it like a boolits,with 10 gr. of Blue Dot. It shot pretty well, but I only made one. I made a comment that a .357 Sig might be better, due to the fact that it's a bottle neck and may hold the lead in a bit better, altho I didn't have trouble with the first one.

Does anyone remember the thread, and if so maybe can find it again? Brain farts are terrible......

Tatume
03-31-2018, 07:04 AM
There's tons of information in the swaging forum:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?41-Swaging

I swage 44 magnum bullets made from 40 S&W cases. The rim and body diameters of the case are not quite large enough to seal properly. After insertion of a lead core, swaging expands the case body, and forms the point shape.

Simply pouring the empty case full of lead will not work well.

high standard 40
03-31-2018, 07:50 AM
There is a youtube video of that process.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gSm--Oj4q0

Tom W.
03-31-2018, 06:25 PM
Found it. It was on Graybeard .com

Graybeard Outdoors > Handgun Forums > Handgun Hunting and General Discussion > .44 bullets from .40 S&W cases

from back in March 2009.
and the thing does shoot well.....

GhostHawk
03-31-2018, 08:54 PM
Take a bottle neck rifle depriming, sizing die. Mine is RCBS and for .270 win.

Remove the depriming rod entirely. Save.

I drop a cast .357mag bullet of 125 grains up through 200 into a .40sw case.

Bullet first, primer of the .40 case last.

Now for mine I have a punch that just fits the die body backwards. That is the end of the punch you would hit with a hammer is touching the .40sw case.

Smack it some 8 - 12 times.

You end up with a cone shaped bullet, same angle as the die was cut for. Most of mine I have some lead coming out. But some of the brass gets forced in also. Leaving you with a soft lead nosed jacketed bullet.

Now I shoot mine in a .444 marlin Handi rifle, single shot. But they shoot good.

I do use a .430 lee sizing die to "sort" the .40sw brass.

Anything that drops through, goes into the reload pile.

Anything that takes a soft push goes into the .44mag/.444 pile.
Anything that takes a hard push goes into my .45acp pile.

I have a 25 lb box of range pickup .40sw brass. Does not take long to find 20 good candidates for the bit triple 4.

Last trick. Sometimes you want a smaller bullet but you still want that truncated cone with lead showing. A lead buckshot placed in the base will raise the bullet. It will squish a little but not much.

This is really red neck whack a mole swaging. So use your head, use at your own risk.

I run mine back through a sizing die to be sure just in case.

Could you do it with the press instead of the punch and whack a mole, probably. But I had troubles getting the brass to squeeze in as nicely when I tried it. But I do have a better press now.

I would use the push rod from a .44 mag lee size kit. But you might end up having to build a custom long push rod. For me my whack a mole system works and I save them for when me and the wife have had words. Gives me a chance to work out my aggression. Squeeze dang ya,Squeeze.

YMMV that's my story and I'm stickin to it.217411