PDA

View Full Version : Master Caster

Tatume
03-29-2018, 07:01 PM
The Master Caster is calling to me. I'm waffling on it, but I'm very close to taking the plunge. Please tell me anything, pro or con, that might help make up my mind.

One question I have concerns real-world casting rate. Once I have the machine bolted to the bench and up and running, how long should I expect to spend casting 1000 H&G #68 bullets using the mold sold by Magma? I'd like to include heat-up time, time to get the mold up to temp and dropping good bullets, and the time it takes to actually cast the bullets. That is, walk into the shop and check the clock, cast 1000 bullets, and check the clock on the way out.

shootinfox2
03-29-2018, 07:25 PM
If your arm holds out. Two to three hours. See the thread on automating the master caster.

HATCH
03-29-2018, 08:17 PM
Keep in mind that you are talking a 200 grain boolit. So figure 430 grains per cycle (2 boolits x spure)
The master caster pot holds 40 lbs of lead. 40 x 7000 = 280000 grains
1000 x 430 = 430000 grains
1000 #68 boolits means 1.5 full pots.
So you have to factor in potentially a second lead heat up time.

On a automated master caster you can cast @ 650 #68 boolits per hour.
If you keep feeding ingots you can run continuous so I would say 2 hours to produce 1000 good boolits.

The hand operated master caster is rated by magma 500 to 800 bullets an hour.

It takes about 30 mins to heat the lead up to temp (750f)
Another 5 mins worth of casting to get the mold up to temp.
So by hand you figure 3 hrs tops.

The thing I hate about manually casting on the master caster is pouring the lead. I have to bend down and look at the mold as I am pouring mold.

D Crockett
03-29-2018, 08:42 PM
when I use my master caster.I have a stool that I shortened up so I could see the mold fill and watch the spew harden. if you are going to do thousands and thousands of bullets I will give you this advise and GET WITH HATCH AND AUTOMATE THAT THING.it will kill your arm to sit there all day and feed ingots to it and cast bullets. to cast 2 or 300 at a time is ok but not to mass produce them. D Crockett

MOA
03-29-2018, 09:27 PM
Well, I love mine, but since I still do it by hand, and I do not try to do 1000 at a time I don't have a worn out arm. If I were wanting to do that kind of count I would either automate it or I would start purchasing my boolits.

jdfoxinc
03-29-2018, 09:46 PM
I cast for about 2 hrs at a time. That's all my back will allow. I pour the bullets from the collection tray on one side of the machine to cool. Then I inspect the all ready cooled bullets on the other side of the machine one for one as casting the next batch. This alloweds the sprue to cool for those few seconds and gets the first sort out of the way. I then change stations, and chairs, to weigh and inspect again all of the pre inspected bullets. Sizing/lubing is sometimes done next or I go back to casting. I can produce a large amount of good bullets each day this way.

razorfish
03-29-2018, 09:47 PM
What kind of effort does it take to operate the arm of the Master Caster compared to a press sizing brass?

HATCH
03-29-2018, 09:59 PM
its not that bad. The problem is the repetitive motion.
just up and down. Its about the same as a dillon 550/650

D Crockett
03-29-2018, 10:03 PM
it the amount of force you use to move the handle up and down and the force you use in getting the bullets out of the mold some of my molds they just fall out some need a little rap at the end of the cycle to get them out that is the part that kills your arm D Crockett

HATCH
03-29-2018, 10:05 PM
some need a little rap at the end of the cycle to get them out

You know you can polish your mold cavities with some steel wool and they will all fall right out

D Crockett
03-29-2018, 10:09 PM
You know you can polish your mold cavities with some steel wool and they will all fall right out I did not know that thanks Hatch

Beau Cassidy
03-30-2018, 01:20 AM
I would highly recommend getting the dual spout. It make the pot much more efficient. Two pours at once. I will cast for several hours at a time by pre heating ingots on the top edge of the pot. Fresh sprues go back into the pot. It makes for an easy 700 to 800 plus an hr.