PDA

View Full Version : Sight-in Problems...

BCB
11-25-2005, 08:05 AM
A friend of mine has a Taurus handgun in 44 magnum. With rear sight as far as possible to the right, the handgun still shoots 4-5 inches to the left at 25 yards. Any thoughts as to what the problem may be? Sights installed off center of bore? He had limited $$$ and purchased this handgun used-I guess that could have been why it was in the used bin. Thanks...BCB

TCLouis
11-25-2005, 11:42 AM
Contact Taurus and tell them of the problem.
Some companies are really good about handling problems, used gun or not.

Worth 37 cents to find out!

kenjuudo
11-25-2005, 05:09 PM
Contact Taurus and tell them of the problem.
Some companies are really good about handling problems, used gun or not.

Worth 37 cents to find out!

My dealings with Taurus have been way less than satisfying. Seems that unless it is a safety problem little gets done at their cost. They will not eat shipping even if at fault, and are quick to play the "within specs" card.

jim

versifier
11-28-2005, 03:32 PM
I can't picture the model. How is the front sight secured to the barrel?

TCLouis
11-28-2005, 09:06 PM
Is it straight up, or off to the right?
That may give some adjustment if it is not staight up.

BCB
11-29-2005, 08:52 AM
Although I shot this handgun a dozen times, I don’t know that I actually saw a model number on it—maybe I did, but it just didn’t sink in! Regardless, the handgun had a barrel that appeared to be about 8” long and it was ported. The gun was a black color.
The guy was shooting factory Winchester ammo at about a million dollars for 50 rounds, so I loaded a ½ box of some of my 240 grain XTP’s using 22 grains of H-110. This load had proven real accurate in my SRH. We went to my bench and done a bit of shooting. I found out that he had shot it with this factory ammo, but that the rest he and his buddy used was at best shaky! So, from my bench I began shooting some of the reloads and making adjustments. I finally got it to shoot 2.5” to the left at 25 yards—I was out of adjustment. He was happy and was ready to hunt deer on our open day which was the 28th. The front sight appeared to be straight and not leaning to the right. I didn't notice if it was dovetailed in place or otherwise. I don't have the tools to move it so it probably doesn't matter. I compared cylinder movement with my SRH and it was sloppy to say the least. Oh well, it will work well enough for him on deer sized game at 25 to 30 yards. I think the handgun will be traded after the deer season. And so it goes…BCB

44man
11-30-2005, 01:08 AM
Sight across the top of the gun and see if the barrel is coming straight out of the frame. This was a big problem with the Dan Wessons. I think some drunk held the frame by hand and drilled the barrel holes.