PDA

View Full Version : HARBOR FREiGHT

GOPHER SLAYER
03-24-2018, 04:07 PM
I just walked thru a Harbor Freight that is new to our area. It was most discouraging. There is no way we can ever compete with those people. Among the many things I saw that were really cheap was a woodworkers bench. It was very solid with four drawers on roller bearings. It would make a great reloading bench and it cost $160. They are having a sale next week when you can get the bench for 20% less. I looked at a leather belt that was two inches wide complete with buckle and holds punched, adjustable from 32 to 40 inches for less than 8 bucks. Last year I made two belts and I paid over twice that price just for the leather. I saw a spotting scope that went fro 20 to 60 power with 45 degree eye piece for $44 and the man said if I come back next week I can get it for 25% less. I wont tell of all the other things I saw. Just too depressing. I know, many will chime in and say, it's all junk but what I saw was not junk.

Taylor
03-24-2018, 04:32 PM
I bought a powder coat spray gun yesterday. Marked down from 109 to 74 and then a 20% coupon made it $60.Plus got a free head lamp flashlight thing.

I have several tools from them,no issues, but if I made my living with tools then I would look elsewhere.

Smoke4320
03-24-2018, 04:44 PM
For Homeowners most of HF tools are fine .. like said above if tools make your living buy better quality or expect to replace

Freightman
03-24-2018, 04:57 PM
Been using the spotting scope for several years works fine. They have gone up as I paid $29.88

retread
03-24-2018, 04:57 PM
Some things are great, others not so much. Bought one of their heat guns a few weeks ago. Used it once, tried it again and no go.

dverna
03-24-2018, 05:34 PM
Sometimes good enough is good enough.

Many of the Pittsburg hand tools have a lifetime warranty.

Almost all my tow straps and chains are from HF. Going out this week and buying .30 cal size plastic ammo cans for $4 ea.

Rcmaveric
03-24-2018, 06:05 PM
I concur with smoke. For the moderate hobbyist HF is fine. Side note i have broken Just as many Snap-on and Craftsman tools working on things. Snap-on normally has the tool contracts at work. I buy quality when i can, but when i need tools and i cant afford 15 bucks for a socket i got with the cheap imported one.

Grmps
03-24-2018, 06:26 PM
Some of their tools are of good quality, I buy HF to try a new tool I'm not sure I want/need. IF I like what it does and it doesn't hold up I'll upgrade to a better brand. I have a handfull of tools I never needed to upgrade from, and some I returned after 1 use :(.

They have a "new " line of more expensive tools I guess to compete with the big boys

MyFlatline
03-24-2018, 06:27 PM
For the tools around the house for Momma to leave outside, HF is good enough. 99.8% of the tools on my truck , are name brand. Any tool can and will die at the most inopportune time. My Rigid angle grinder just "quit" yesterday. Barely a year old.

10-x
03-24-2018, 06:44 PM
Well rigid is made in china, like every other electric tool. " Horrible Freight" is ok for most home owners, if you make your living with hand tools dont know what to say. Bought Craftsman, Snap On and Mac from the mid 70s until retired. May have taken a screwdriver back and ca Craftsman socket but no others. Son is getting just about all in a few weeks, mig welder, torch set, roll around tool boxes. Keeping just the basics. Craftsman is made by the chinks as are some Snap On and Mac. I give up, glad dont have to deal with this do do.

Shawlerbrook
03-24-2018, 06:47 PM
Agree with all the above and never go there without the 20% off and freebie coupons found in many magazines and online.

jeepyj
03-24-2018, 07:50 PM
I've been using the HF powder coat machine for several years. With the coupon I think it was a bit over 50 bucks worth every penny. Unfortunately or fortunately depending how you look at it I think you'll find most of thier products are probably made in the same places that the big box store products are made.

Pigboat
03-24-2018, 08:00 PM
I use one of the benches you mentioned for reloading. I've got everything mounted using threaded inserts in the top so I can remove them and use the bench for other things.

https://s17.postimg.org/jjs2k6vdr/brass.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

lefty o
03-24-2018, 08:57 PM
some of their stuff is fairly decent, some of it is garbage. you have to do your research, and determine exactly how good you need the tool to be.

Boaz
03-24-2018, 09:32 PM
I'm have bought a lot of HF tools , anything that is electric (drills , grinders , die grinders ) is junk if your going to use it daily . But there are a lot of good deals .

jonp
03-24-2018, 09:34 PM
I buy a great deal of stuff there. For someone that may need a tool for once or twice paying for a Snap On or Mac makes no sense. It's a great place to get tarps, zip ties etc. Stuff you should have on hand but not need everyday

Thundarstick
03-24-2018, 10:37 PM
I bought their 3 ton floor jack, it works great, and was less than $200 out the door.

DCM
03-25-2018, 12:09 AM
I will not buy anything electric from them.
I bought a heat gun that I needed in a pinch from them many years back, the second time I used it I got lots of sparks and smoke out of it.
A few years back I bought a portable band saw and it gave up the third time I used it. :(

On the other hand I have a ball joint press from them that I have used Way more than I ever wanted to that I have never had issues with.

mold maker
03-25-2018, 09:24 AM
HF doesn't have stocking store in every major area without sales and profit. Complain as you will, Sears KMart and many others we depended on, are shrinking or gone along with their branded products.
The Chinese are great at producing at a price point and quality that sales. They make more profit than American made even with the 20% off coupons that are everywhere.
For the average consumer that replaces a doorknob, light switch, or facet washer once a year, why have a fortune tied up in expensive tools?
Each quality has its niche, and good enough, is good enough, for those that that push pincels instead of twisting wrenches.

OeldeWolf
03-25-2018, 09:46 AM
We have a hard time making things to their price point, because of their labor and government practices. The whole point of import tariffs, was to allow local manufacturing to compete with countries with cheap or slave labor.

Traffer
03-25-2018, 09:59 AM
I am and always have been pretty poor. I used to just wish I could afford tools, never having the chance to buy many. Now I can get whatever I want (except the lathe that I am saving up for) because of Harbor Freight prices. I would vote to have things made here again and want Americans to have decent jobs making these tools, but it has enabled me to get the tools to build things which is what I love to do.

marlin39a
03-25-2018, 10:46 AM
I was in yesterday. Needed a cheap, 10" pipe wrench. $5.99. You bet I bought it.

D Crockett
03-25-2018, 11:02 AM
I'm have bought a lot of HF tools , anything that is electric (drills , grinders , die grinders ) is junk if your going to use it daily . But there are a lot of good deals . I am going to have to agree with Boaz I got a 4 1/2 inch side grinder it lasts ever bit of 5 minutes about the only thing I buy from them now is 4 1/2 cutting blades and wire brushes D Crockett

sundog
03-25-2018, 11:53 AM
Not HF, but possibly sourced from the same place. I needed a particular size jumbo crow foot wrench to torque a barrel nut. This is an 'only occasional' task. I ordered it off Amazon. Not a Mac or Snap-on, but it gets the job done nicely at a fraction of the cost. If I were in business doing this work I would get higher quality like my other tools, but for once or twice off tasks for myself, this cheap wrench works okay.

Like others have mentioned, watch what you get.

fatelk
03-25-2018, 12:11 PM
It is sad that for many things American manufacturing can't compete. It seems like everything is made in China now. I recently bought a Starrett dial caliper. Guess what? Made in China. It's not just the junk made there now.

I listened to a friend's lecture on Chinese manufacturing a few years back. He had spent some time in China with his company, a huge multinational building a new manufacturing facility there.

He said there are several reasons they can undercut us so badly on price. Cheap, almost slave labor being a huge one, but also the nearly complete lack of environmental regulations. He said that China has massive environmental problems that they are going to have to face some day. His opinion was that sooner or later they're going to have to pay the piper and start cleaning up the mess they've made, and Chinese goods will become more expensive. He also said that eventually the Chinese people would get a taste of better things and demand better pay.

He figured that when China ceases to be a bargain, the big corporations would move on to India for cheap labor and resources to squander. It's a global economy now. It's hard to compete with people who will work for peanuts, who are hungry enough that they don't care much about safe working conditions or contaminated ground water.

sandman228
03-25-2018, 03:32 PM
I agree with most others some of there stuff is decent , some is junk. For the most part I avoid there power tools . but like others mentioned almost everything is made in china now. A couple years ago I needed a new circular saw so I went to home depot and took my time and actually looked at every brand they carried . ryobi , rigid , dewalt , makita , Milwaukee , so on so on , guess what ALL made in China. I ended up buying the Milwaukee and its probably the best saw I've ever owned other than being a little on the heavy side . a little while back they bought us 2 new air chisels at work they were Ingersoll rand and sure enough made in China on the box. Those 2 name brands were a shocker to me seeing made in China on the box

500Linebaughbuck
03-25-2018, 03:35 PM
i have a harbor freight reciprocating saw that i exclusively use for deer and bear. its been about 10 years now and the best $20 i have spent. rope pulleys and chains and hooks, tow hooks, ratchet straps, air hoses.....harbor freight and tractor supply is the place to go.

IF you use it everyday, i'd buy snap on and proto tools and milwaukee and makita....

GOPHER SLAYER
03-25-2018, 03:53 PM
I should have mentioned in my original post that I bought a Ryobi set of battery powered tools made in China twenty years ago. My wife and I built a small barn with those tools and they are still going strong.

sandman228
03-25-2018, 04:45 PM
I should have mentioned in my original post that I bought a Ryobi set of battery powered tools made in China twenty years ago. My wife and I built a small barn with those tools and they are still going strong.
Yes ryobi cordless tools are decent for the money I have several that are 10 years old or more . the ni cad battery's that came with them all took a dump years ago so I upgraded to some lithium ion battery's a few years back .

GhostHawk
03-25-2018, 09:37 PM
I have that bench, its solid.
Only installed 2 drawers as they were a bit fiddly and I was in a hurry.

Those 2 hold the various bits and bobs for my Lyman Easy loader shotgun reloader and my shotgun reloading manuals.

I have a chicago Electric 4" angle grinder I bought 20 years ago. Came with spare brushes. Those are long gone I'm sure. That grinder has not been used daily, nor monthly. But every time I grab it, it works. For what I paid for it, it paid for itself the first time I used it. Everything after that is bonus.

I buy all my tarps there now, I like the heavy duty silver ones for anything that goes on the ground. I have one that is a little bit bigger in all dimensions than my tent. Stored with the tent. It goes down first, sides get rolled up and tucked under. Never had a wet floor.

I have 5 of their little blue cheap flashlights with the magnet on the fridge. Push the button once and the end LED comes on. Again for off, on again and the big side light fires up. Enough light to light up an entire kitchen cabinet like bright daylight. Dirt cheap, ohhh and they come apart, take standard AA batterys, and have both a hook and a magnet.

How do you go wrong with that? I've only had one needed battery's replaced. Anyone needs a light, they are on the fridge, waiting.

My house is full of Harbor freight tools, mini drill press, to sander. No problems with any of them.

Can you find a better deal than their indexed titanium nitride drill bits?

dverna
03-25-2018, 10:42 PM
GH

I bought 6 of those drill bit sets when they had them on sale. Should last my lifetime. Lol

Mal Paso
03-25-2018, 11:52 PM
I have 2 of those HF drill bit sets. Good for $10 but they don't hold an edge in steel like my $83. Chinese set.

The HF Ball Joint Press I used to have was Forged Steel from Taiwan. I tried to replace it and what they had was so bad it would not screw together much less take an 800flb air wrench. They carry another model now I haven't looked at. You have to check every purchase. My HF 5 piece front end set from a couple years ago was awesome Forged Steel. I opened the last kit HF had because it looked like it had been opened and found the ball joint press Bent with Grease Marks. Someone had returned it but more important, I never came close to bending my old one on heavy trucks. I bought OTC instead which looks just like my old HF.

Their taps are no longer High Speed Steel so I bought elsewhere.

Hard to beat their rolling tool cabinets right now. The better ones all have ball bearing slide drawers, bigger drawers have 2 sets of slides. All for $1.25/lb. LOL

JBinMN
03-26-2018, 12:17 AM
My tumbler for brass is from there( I think I paid around $30-40) & the walnut media I use in it I bought there as well.

I have a few other things from there too. Nothing fancy, just do dads. I don't ask a lot of what I get there. just "make do" stuff for the most part.

Just another variety hardware/tool store like Northern Hydraulics is, to me, anyway.

Most of the tools I have bought over the years that I use for work & home are of much higher quality, but for "throw away" or, "short term use" items, the place works for me.

Isaac
03-26-2018, 06:19 AM
It is sad that for many things American manufacturing can't compete. It seems like everything is made in China now. I recently bought a Starrett dial caliper. Guess what? Made in China. It's not just the junk made there now.

I listened to a friend's lecture on Chinese manufacturing a few years back. He had spent some time in China with his company, a huge multinational building a new manufacturing facility there.

He said there are several reasons they can undercut us so badly on price. Cheap, almost slave labor being a huge one, but also the nearly complete lack of environmental regulations. He said that China has massive environmental problems that they are going to have to face some day. His opinion was that sooner or later they're going to have to pay the piper and start cleaning up the mess they've made, and Chinese goods will become more expensive. He also said that eventually the Chinese people would get a taste of better things and demand better pay.

He figured that when China ceases to be a bargain, the big corporations would move on to India for cheap labor and resources to squander. It's a global economy now. It's hard to compete with people who will work for peanuts, who are hungry enough that they don't care much about safe working conditions or contaminated ground water.

This is inline from what I read through media outlets and observed on educational cable networks. There are reports and video of folks wearing facemasks while outdoors in areas of China.

Isaac

anothernewb
03-26-2018, 09:58 AM
agree with others. some HF stuff is exactly what you'd expect from china. Others have been a surprise. The US general tool box has been holding up well, and was very cheap compared to it's competition. Bought a grinder and it was junk (cheap copper in the motor winding) but bought a predator engine and it's been solid as I could hope for. Have a set of hand tools in the box on the trailer. Funny how no one will steal a HF wrench. Despite taking the time to break the lock on the tool box, lol.

anothernewb
03-26-2018, 10:00 AM
This is inline from what I read through media outlets and observed on educational cable networks. There are reports and video of folks wearing facemasks while outdoors in areas of China.

Isaac

buddy of mine works at 3M in Aberdeen SD, one of the lines in the factory is filter masks. China is their #1 customer. something like 80% of their production capacity.

EDG
03-26-2018, 10:32 AM
I have been to China several times taking care of manufacturing problems over there. Yes the air and the water is nasty.
In the early 2000s a skilled worker made about $2.00/hr including all benefits.
The semiconductor business can get most things from China at about a 30% savings even after shipping it across the Pacific.
Some of our most critical parts could not be made from Chinese aluminum. So we had to supply Alcoa aluminum. With the political environment a lot of the critical parts are now made in Singapore. Not as cheap but much safer. The DOD prohibited manufacture of some systems in China out of concern for them stealing the technology.

opos
03-26-2018, 11:38 AM
A while back I purchased a portable generator and since it was to be my first I did a lot of research...the Predator "brand" of generator that Harbor Freight sells sounded really good "on paper" from a price point standpoint...also there were a number of very positive reports on You Tube about folks that had been concerned with quality..most were very positive....I went to the local H/F store and started chatting with the guy on the floor that was in the area where there were generators..he gave me an ear full....Said the particular model I'd been interested in (competes with the Honda which is the "gold standard" at about 1/3 the price) had a "return rate" of nearly 50%.s..also said H/F "edits" their reviews heavilly..he said they were really under the gun to move them out as the quality control was non existant....he said the engines are "copies" of the Honda engine but that parts were just enough difference to make it nearly impossible to fix one when it's broken..he said the parts from one to another of the same model often were quite a bit different so would not cross fit for repairs...He said if you get a good one and not using it commerically it was a decent unit at a really good price but that the incidence of bad ones was a real pain for the local stores to have to deal with.

The size and spec for generators I'd been looking for are almost all made in the Orient and all claim "as good as Honda"...but it seems they are fine if you get a good one and terrible if you don't...I'm not a "brand pimper" I just wanted to get a reasonable bang for my buck....Honda is very high priced and I really think from what I found that it was the only game in town for a very long time and others scrambled to keep up or catch up.

After my research, etc I decided on a non Honda brand (not going to go into which one...but not H/F) and the way I made my final decision was to go to the RV web sites, the RV reviews, etc (I'm not using it for an RV but figure they probably have more usage than other places..I joined several chat boards and got past the "reviews" and read the "down and dirty" discussions)...at my age with physical problems I wanted electric start with back up pull cord...wanted "dual fuel" gas and propane because I didn't want old stale gas gumming things up if it sat ...wanted several other features including noise (I live in the city), etc...H/F could not compete in many ways and with the negative comments by their sales guy I just stayed away from the Predator...cheap..absolutely...work if you get a good one...I guess....good exchange policy...I don't know...and when I called several small engine and lawnmower shops none would touch a Predator for repairs...I would have to go to Orange County (long drive) to even have one looked at.

For me price was important so I cut out the top end and the bottom end and found exactly what I wanted in a middle range unit with all the features and several lawn mower shops and small engine shops said "no problem" getting parts or getting them worked on if needed...

I guess a $5 wrench would be a reasonable gamble but a several hundred dollar generator was a different thing...at least for me.

DerekP Houston
03-26-2018, 11:44 AM
I am going to have to agree with Boaz I got a 4 1/2 inch side grinder it lasts ever bit of 5 minutes about the only thing I buy from them now is 4 1/2 cutting blades and wire brushes D Crockett

Same here, electrical tools are a no-go, but replacement bits, cutting blades, gloves etc? you bet I shop at HF. Only one item I was really disappointed with were the loading ramps for my atv. Twisted and bent the very first use, metal was just flimsy. We went back to just picking it up with 2 people and loading in the truck that way.

Manual tools I would use in a heartbeat, just had too many issues with small appliances working a few times then dying to risk another. Ryobi are still pretty cheap but at least I can use the warranty and get them replaced.

bedbugbilly
03-26-2018, 12:18 PM
I have purchased things at HF over the years - some items I've been happy with - others not so happy.

I don't know which workbench you are looking at - I bought one of the woodworker benches with the vise on the end and four drawers for my garage out here in AZ. I didn't want to mess with making one and I've probably made a dozen benches over the years. I had to screw a section of 2 X 4 on to each leg so I could raise the bench up 1 1/2" as it sat too low for my height. The four drawers are O.K. but they don't pull out all the way so the backs of the inside of the drawers are not exposed - plus they are not real deep. Overall though, it works O.K. for doing projects on.

You get what you pay for, as they say . . . so look it over well before purchasing. Let's face it . . . nothing is made today like it used to be made - it's made to wear out. I earned my living by using tools so I always bought the best I could afford as in the end, they lasted. It's kind of hard though to compete these days with the stuff that is being hammered out overseas by cheap labor. I'm not knocking HF by any means - just look it over carefully.

Example - Last year, my wife and I moved from our house of 45 years in to a condo that was about 14 years old. It had ten foot ceilings and we wanted to repaint, put down new flooring, etc. before moving in. Ten foot ceilings are a PIA. I bought one of Harbor Freight's rolling adjustable height scaffolds - cost around $200. It was GREAT! The best $200 I have ever spent and it worked great for what we needed, narrow enough o go through doorways, lockable casters, etc. A great value.

A couple of years ago, I bought a small electric pump from hem for transferring liquids - cost around $60. I got it to empty out our hot water heater to winterized our house while we were gone. I ended up going through three of them before I got one with a decent motor on it - the first three burned out - not from mis-use - just bad motors. HF exchanged them with no hassle but with a 15 mile drive each way it was a hassle for me.

bangerjim
03-26-2018, 02:11 PM
HF stuff is OK...if you watch what you are buying.....and need it ONLY for hobby/personal work. NOT for professional "make a living with it" use.

Be very careful with their battery powered tools. The batteries are carp! Very poor chemistry in there, And low maH ratings.

And tells you something when they ship a spare set of brushes with motor tools! Spare parts are darned near impossible to get. And they seem to change styles ever few months......depends on what falls out of the trucks in ChiCom country, I guess.

I have several of their big metal shop power tools (mills/horizontal band saw/small lathe) and they work OK....after a lot of tweeking and tinkering.

If you can afford the "good stuff" go for it. But HF stuff will do for general hobby work and "honey-do's"

banger

RCE1
03-26-2018, 03:45 PM
We have HF all over the place. Driving to work, I pass several. I have a number of their things, among them their 12" compound miter saw. It's nice. Their wrench and socket sets can are generally sufficient as well. I find their digital calipers not quite as smooth as I'd like. I bought one of their 12" disc grinders and it's a beast. You have to pick and choose. I did buy one of their hickory handled engineers hammers and it broke right off the bat. When I took it back (because it has a lifetime warranty), they took one look at it and gave me a new one. The new handle had been redesigned and was noticeably thicker in the problem area. So there's that. What a few people do is go ahead and buy their warranty extension and every three years of so, the tool "breaks" and they get a new one. No questions asked.

Handloader109
03-27-2018, 11:03 AM
I have TWO of the benches. One is my main loading bench, other in ww shop. It's a bench, nothing fancy, but I couldn't buy southern pine 2x4s and build for the price.
Not many electric tools, drill that is corded works ok, I've worn it out using with wire wheel..... about $9 well worth it. Battery tools, stay away from.....Same as Ryobi junk.
They have introduced two new lines in each of their main categories, may be better, but I've not had the need. ALWAYS use a coupon unless prohibited (jacks come to mind) but then always wait on sale for those items...... Look close and most stuff is decent for single or occasional use.

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-27-2018, 03:50 PM
I am a fan of the HF $99 Predator gas engines (Honda clone).
If you search online reviews, people are using these on the Go-kart racing circuit, racers claim they are better than Honda. There are many online vendors selling aftermarket racing grade type parts for them.

I've mounted one an a troybilt tiller...bolted right up.
I've mounted one on a Snapper Hi-Vac self-propelled push mower...bolted right up.
I'm considering mounting one on a old Toro snow thrower...sounds like I need a $10 shaft adaptor, but will bolt right up after that.

The HF Predator isn't as quiet as a Honda, and sadly the Honda muffler doesn't bolt up...and all the aftermarket stuff is for racers and I haven't found one for quietness.

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-27-2018, 04:04 PM
HF tools make good "decoy" tools :)

Before I retired and was working at various jobsites. All the time, I'd get people asking to borrow tools. I couldn't really say NO, because I was a independent contractor and relied the full time employees for many things, So I needed to friendly and sharing and such. I have always used the best hand tools I could afford, always USA made, some were vintage...I like vintage :)

So after I lost a few prized tools to borrower's carelessness, I setup a "decoy" toolbox of HF tools and would borrow those out. One of the smartest things I ever did. The funny part is, none of those tools ever ended up missing :shock: :veryconfu

500Linebaughbuck
03-27-2018, 04:10 PM
i'm about to try wet tumbling my rifle and revolver brass.

https://www.harborfreight.com/dual-drum-rotary-rock-tumbler-67632.html

this is for rifle brass
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtTxBqOwtnA

500Linebaughbuck
03-27-2018, 04:28 PM
HF tools make good "decoy" tools :)

Before I retired and was working at various jobsites. All the time, I'd get people asking to borrow tools. I couldn't really say NO, because I was a independent contractor and relied the full time employees for many things, So I needed to friendly and sharing and such. I have always used the best hand tools I could afford, always USA made, some were vintage...I like vintage :)

So after I lost a few prized tools to borrower's carelessness, I setup a "decoy" toolbox of HF tools and would borrow those out. One of the smartest things I ever did. The funny part is, none of those tools ever ended up missing :shock: :veryconfu

i almost forgot about that one!!!!!!!:awesome::awesome::awesome: i was no contractor, just a "hey youse" laborer. i always had guys that would come up to me and "borrow" a tool. i'd setup a knaack box and some really cheap tools. i'd just point to the knaack box, "pick your poison". come to think about it, i never had a missing tool again!

DoubleAdobe
03-27-2018, 06:05 PM
I am a fan of the HF $99 Predator gas engines (Honda clone).
If you search online reviews, people are using these on the Go-kart racing circuit, racers claim they are better than Honda. There are many online vendors selling aftermarket racing grade type parts for them.

I've mounted one an a troybilt tiller...bolted right up.
I've mounted one on a Snapper Hi-Vac self-propelled push mower...bolted right up.
I'm considering mounting one on a old Toro snow thrower...sounds like I need a $10 shaft adaptor, but will bolt right up after that.

The HF Predator isn't as quiet as a Honda, and sadly the Honda muffler doesn't bolt up...and all the aftermarket stuff is for racers and I haven't found one for quietness.

My BIL just put one of those on an old Tote-Gote with a hosed engine. I can't see anything wrong with it, starts on the first pull if you choke it,haha. Brought that old Gote back to life, now we need to find a new belt for it.

Virginia John
03-27-2018, 06:13 PM
Just like anything else, you get what you pay for.

45-70bpcr
03-27-2018, 06:34 PM
I bought their 3 ton floor jack, it works great, and was less than $200 out the door.

I have a 2 ton I bought in the early '80's from HF that still works great and I have used the heck out of it. 4" electric grinder I have to smack on the floor to get it to run. Some things better than others for sure.

shaune509
03-28-2018, 03:59 PM
I use HF for a few things as I dont spend $ for seldom used tools. With that in mind I got a$30 HF circular saw for the intent of cutting paver bricks thinking the cement dust would kill the saw before the project was done, that saw did that job and has been used for several other cement cutting jobs over the last 8 years and it still is working. Some times the name makes no difference in durability.
Shaune509

RED BEAR
03-28-2018, 08:25 PM
I have found that harbor freight tools are OK for the most part I shop there a lot. It seems everything is made in China even 20 years ago as a machinist I bought a 24 inch veneer caliper for less than I could have bought the steel it was made of. As long as countries sell at a loss they will continue to put us companies out of business. I must say I looked at us made calipers and they were 20 times the price. By the way still using that caliper.

jonp
03-29-2018, 07:39 PM
i'm about to try wet tumbling my rifle and revolver brass.

https://www.harborfreight.com/dual-drum-rotary-rock-tumbler-67632.html

this is for rifle brass
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtTxBqOwtnA

Bought a HF Tumbler and has lasted for a couple of years as did the dry tumbler.

jonp
03-29-2018, 07:41 PM
BTW: I bought a HB Generator, a 2400 watt portable for 25% of a price of the Honda on sale with the coupon. It is far heavier but starts all the time and works great. I'd recommend one to anyone who needs a cheap generator for hunting camp. I use mine to power the freezers/fridge in case of a power outage.