PDA

View Full Version : Henry Long Ranger 358 winchester

megasupermagnum
03-22-2018, 01:54 PM
I've really been hoping for a Henry 358 winchester, and it seems it could be a possibility. I had noticed others have shown interest in the same thing, so I emailed Henry, and got a promising response. I also asked for 1:14" twist. I think now would be the time for everyone to email Henry and let them know that you would like to see this happen. I don't think its even possible to have a better hunting rifle, especially for cast bullets.

Thank you for your interest in Henry and for reaching out. We do plan on expanding the Long Ranger lineup in the near future. No word on specific calibers yet but keep an eye on us for any official announcement. As for the loop, I have been told we should have them on our website as an add on in the next month or so. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Best Regards,

Patrick Hall

Customer Service

Henry Repeating Arms Company

59 E 1st Street

Bayonne, NJ 07002

Tel. (201) 858-4400

Fax (201) 858-4435

" Henry Rifles Will Be Made In America or They Won't Be Made At All"

Follow us!

Facebook – facebook.com/HenryRepeating

Twitter – twitter.com/henryrifles

Sent: Tuesday, March 20, 2018 10:14 PM
To: patrick@henryusa.com
Subject: Contact Message - Henry Repeating Arms

pietro
03-22-2018, 07:11 PM

If I wanted another .358W, and liked the Long Ranger, I'd obtain one in .243 or .308 & send it to Jess ( www.35caliber.com ) for a rebore to .358".

starmac
03-22-2018, 08:10 PM
Or wait and save a couple of bills. If they already have intentions of expanding the lone ranger line, the 358 would make perfect sense.

megasupermagnum
03-22-2018, 09:43 PM
Yeah, the rifles aren't cheap with a street price of around $850-$900, then tack on the extra work. Nothing is official, but I have high hopes that they will come out with a 35 caliber. Also, I had asked about big loop levers, and you can see they will be available in the next few months for the long ranger model. I've tried the regular levers, and they are uncomfortable.

A Henry long ranger with iron sights, topped with quick detach rings and a leupold 2-7x, 1:14" twist, big loop lever, 358 winchester, and fed with big cast bullets. I do not think a better hunting rifle could ever exist.

starmac
03-23-2018, 11:54 PM
I would not call it the holy grail myself, but sure wouldn't mind seeing it on the market.
I have a hard time thinking it would top a 99 savage in 358,or really even compare, but that is just my opinion, and they AIN"T making any more of them either.

Ramjet-SS
03-24-2018, 08:26 PM
I hope for a 450 Marlin !!!!!!!!

megasupermagnum
03-25-2018, 12:18 AM

I don't think it's likely, the Long ranger is based on the 308 win family.

Beerd
03-25-2018, 12:30 PM
I don't think it's likely, the Long ranger is based on the 308 win family.
and .223
https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/the-long-ranger/
Since Browning, Winchester & Marlin didn't get very far with the .356/.358 cartridge my bet is that the marketing department at Henry is looking more towards the new whiz-bang 6.5mm's as an option.

dverna
03-25-2018, 02:42 PM
and .223
https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/the-long-ranger/
Since Browning, Winchester & Marlin didn't get very far with the .356/.358 cartridge my bet is that the marketing department at Henry is looking more towards the new whiz-bang 6.5mm's as an option.

Tend to agree. While the .358 may be a cast bullet hunters dream....cast bulllet hunters are a relatively minor sub group of hunters. And anyone really wanting one can buy the BLR in .358 at about the same price point....so where is the market?

The 7mm/08 or .260 will have broader appeal.

starmac
03-25-2018, 04:07 PM
I would not say that the browning in 358 was a failure by any means, many of them were sold and still in use. Win and marlin never as far as I know actually did the 358 thing, 356 is a nice round, but a not needed copy that just never caught on.

I would love to have a Model 99 in 358, but when you do see one,it is generally pricey, several folks has had them converted. I think there will be a market for the henrys, there are enough folks that like the cartridge, but are not fond of the browning.

megasupermagnum
03-26-2018, 08:13 PM
I don't think the Long ranger will ever be a huge seller regardless of caliber. Henry knows that. They brought out 41 mag and 327 federal Big boy models, they will not be long-term sellers. I bet they sold well last year, and probably this year before everyone that wanted one, got one. If people want a 358 winchester, and almost everyone on this forum does, Henry will build one. You just have to let them know. I'd bet they have a 6.5/7mm in the works. I don't think people are as crazy about the high powered small bores like they used to. The 338 federal has caught on reasonably well with it's moderate velocities, which is another possibility for this rifle. Myself, I didn't like the BLR at all. In fact, the only modern Browning I ever liked was their BPS shotgun, and I still prefer Mossberg. Their older Auto 5's 16 and 12 gauge are phenomenal. I also put a large importance on USA made firearms. That's for the individual to decide, but Henry will make a 358 if asked.

starmac
03-27-2018, 01:01 AM
Since it is already offered in 308, it would be a minor step to produce it in 358.

All lever actions just have a certain percentage of the market, Browning has been the only game in town for these rounds for a number of years. I suspect Henry will get their share of the pie.
I don't have a need in the world for any of these, but the 223 has sparked an interest.

Good Cheer
03-31-2018, 07:09 AM
I could do a .338.
Want a .41 in their single shot.

flhroy
03-31-2018, 02:03 PM
I talked to henry repeating arms in late ‘16 or early ‘17 and was told that the long ranger would be available sometime in 2018 chambered in 358win

Ramjet-SS
03-31-2018, 02:15 PM
I would not say that the browning in 358 was a failure by any means, many of them were sold and still in use. Win and marlin never as far as I know actually did the 358 thing, 356 is a nice round, but a not needed copy that just never caught on.

I would love to have a Model 99 in 358, but when you do see one,it is generally pricey, several folks has had them converted. I think there will be a market for the henrys, there are enough folks that like the cartridge, but are not fond of the browning.

I had a Browning 358 TD model gave it to my son it's a nice nice rifle.

megasupermagnum
03-31-2018, 02:29 PM
I talked to henry repeating arms in late ‘16 or early ‘17 and was told that the long ranger would be available sometime in 2018 chambered in 358win

Well, now I know what to spend my tax return on!

golden boy
12-16-2020, 04:08 AM
bad 'news'

just received this answer from'anthony(at)henryusa.com'

Thank you very much for owning a Henry Golden Boy and for your continued interest in our product line. I certainly appreciate it. I am sorry but no plans for a 358 and its not on our radar.
We will keep you posted however on all that is new at Henry and thank you again.

Sincerely,

Anthony Imperato
President
Henry Repeating Arms

i did take the liberty to link this thread

Bubba w/a 45/70
12-17-2020, 11:13 AM
I am not banging on Henry at all here, but i knew it was a long shot for them to bring out a 358 Win Long Ranger.

There are just way more expenses involved than many think in running "just another caliber " in a rifle line. Seems cheap and easy, reality in manufacturing is different.

That is why when a BLR popped up it made a new home at my house, and shortly alfter there was a 358 Win Ruger GSR beside it....rebored by JES.

Happy, Happy, Happy.

Prairie Cowboy
12-19-2020, 05:03 AM
While Henry may not produce a .358 Long Ranger, I think that they would do well to produce this rifle with a high polished anodized black receiver like the BLR. For me the matte receiver finish is not attractive.

The LR has some nice features that the BLR lacks, like a traditional trigger that does not travel with the lever, and a modular trigger group and lever assembly which facilitates (rather than discourages) disassembly and reassembly by the owner.

I think that Henry is smart to go with the most popular cartridges like .308 and .243 to begin with, and to only expand the cartridge line-up if a significant demand exists. I also think that the Long Ranger is going to remain a good seller for a long time.

Silvercreek Farmer
12-19-2020, 11:26 AM
A couple years ago, Ruger tooled up to make 300 Ruger American Rifles in 358 Winchester. I understand every 358 Winchester fan might not want an American, but they sat out there for several months. Not a hearty endorsement of the general demand for the caliber.

Forum members might have accounted for a half dozen of them based on comments I saw. A fellow at the range bought one after seeing mine.

Maybe if you could get a group buy together for 300 rifles, you could get them to build it...

megasupermagnum
12-19-2020, 06:57 PM
The more I shoot 308, the more it grows on me. I no longer have any desire for a 358 win. I have been thinking about 35 remington in a remington model 8, and I have always wanted a 9.3x74r in a Ruger #1. Otherwise, I've very much become a 30 caliber guy.

dverna
12-19-2020, 10:57 PM
The more I shoot 308, the more it grows on me. I no longer have any desire for a 358 win. I have been thinking about 35 remington in a remington model 8, and I have always wanted a 9.3x74r in a Ruger #1. Otherwise, I've very much become a 30 caliber guy.

MSM,
I am also a fan of the .308. I have no need for any other big game rifle. I have three of them. But I use jacketed bullets for game. Nearly bought two more when there was a Black Friday sale, but they ran out. I was going to send one to JES for the conversion and it would have come in at under $550. Not to pricey for a S&G toy.

If I were to hunt with cast, the .358 would be my choice. But I have a lifetime supply of .308 hunting bullets.

BTW, I clean the primer pockets on the .308 reloads...lol.

MOC031
12-20-2020, 02:30 PM
If I were confined to deer sized game (and didn't see much use for flexibility in what's available to load into cases), then I'd be happy with a .308 or any of the other similar calibers.

But here where we not only have deer but moose, elk, sheep, etc. sprinkled among the black and grizzly bears, then given a choice between the two I'll go .358 every single time.

I'm lazy... and I have boxes and boxes of swaged pistol bullets to load for my PPC revolvers downstairs. Easy to load them in .358 cases for practicing on gophers, making tin cans jump, etc. Cheap like borscht with minimal time required.

And if it's cast bullets for hunting, again I'll take .358 over .308.

Jacketed... again if I have to choose the one over the other for hunting here, a Barnes TTSX either of 180 grains or 200 grains will do anything anybody could reasonably ask of it. If we're hunting in the alders were the bears hang out... make that a 250 grain jacketed bullet.

Prairie Cowboy
12-20-2020, 02:42 PM

Me too. That would provide a caliber range from small to large to compete with the BLR.

megasupermagnum
12-20-2020, 10:53 PM
If I were confined to deer sized game (and didn't see much use for flexibility in what's available to load into cases), then I'd be happy with a .308 or any of the other similar calibers.

But here where we not only have deer but moose, elk, sheep, etc. sprinkled among the black and grizzly bears, then given a choice between the two I'll go .358 every single time.

I'm lazy... and I have boxes and boxes of swaged pistol bullets to load for my PPC revolvers downstairs. Easy to load them in .358 cases for practicing on gophers, making tin cans jump, etc. Cheap like borscht with minimal time required.

And if it's cast bullets for hunting, again I'll take .358 over .308.

Jacketed... again if I have to choose the one over the other for hunting here, a Barnes TTSX either of 180 grains or 200 grains will do anything anybody could reasonably ask of it. If we're hunting in the alders were the bears hang out... make that a 250 grain jacketed bullet.

Where I thought the 358 Winchester would be cool was purely for cast bullets, especially if I could have it in a 1:14" twist. Since then, i realize any benefits that may have are minimal. If I were to build a custom gun, it would be a 308 Winchester with a 1:15" or 1:16" twist, no question at all. The ballistics between the 308 and 358 are pretty much identical. About the only thing the 358 buys you is 250 grain bullets. The 308 does just fine with 220's if that is what you want. I've come to prefer around 170-180 grain myself.

The 308 is not some piddly round, just because there are ridiculous rounds out there now. I would not hesitate even for a second to send a 308 through ANY animal on this continent, and that includes moose and brown bear.

RJM52
12-22-2020, 06:53 AM
...try buying any rifle made in .358 today... Over on GunBroker a year ago there were always a few bolt guns and usually a dozen or more Browning Leverguns...not any more...

A Remington Model SEVEN stainless/synthetic in .358 with a 18.5-20" barrel would be about the perfect all-weather woods rifle. I have a Ruger Frontier that now wears a Ruger synthetic stock and it is a joy to hunt with...

Bob

MOC031
12-27-2020, 12:44 PM
About the only thing the 358 buys you is 250 grain bullets.

Not counting the ability of a .358 to use bulk cast/swaged bullets intended for the revolver crowd, sold by the 500/1000 and loaded straight out of the box, if you prefer that short cut as opposed to churning out plinkers at the casting bench.

And not counting the slightly wider WFN meplate of the .358 if hunting is your intent.

Or the ability to also go heavier than 250 grains, if you have reason to do so.

The 308 is not some piddly round, just because there are ridiculous rounds out there now.

I don't think anyone did say a 308 was a piddly round. On the other hand, particularly for the lever action cast bullet crowd, the 308 isn't exactly the same thing as a 358.

I would not hesitate even for a second to send a 308 through ANY animal on this continent, and that includes moose and brown bear.

Well now, living where grumbly bears regularly wander through the yard like other people have deer and raccoons, and the tag selection includes moose and elk as well as bears, and hunting moose and elk often puts you right in the middle of grumbly bear territory... 40+ years of living, hunting, and flyfishing in that environment doesn't leave any question in my mind as to whether I want a .308 or a .358 in my hands, whether stuffed with jacketed or cast bullets. Draw a circle of about a 400 mile radius around our house, and you'll encompass (by my guess), about 80%+ of the grumbly bear chewings in North America, year after year. Hunters, fishermen, hikers, mountain bikers, and so on.

I LIKE .308's, if I didn't I wouldn't have them sitting in the gun safe. But in a levergun intended for levergun applications, particularly around here, it isn't a .358. Which is why the .308 BLR morphed into a .358 Winchester with a slightly longer barrel.

MOC031
12-27-2020, 01:09 PM
A Remington Model SEVEN stainless/synthetic in .358 with a 18.5-20" barrel would be about the perfect all-weather woods rifle.

Well, as we're departing levergun world for bolt action, that pretty much somewhat describes my Husqvarna featherweight in 35 Whelan, minus the stainless/synthetic aspect that has absolutely no appeal to me (possibly because after 30 years in the jumping out of airplanes business where everything the government gave me to haul around was mostly ugly weather resistant, I feel the love for oil finished beautiful walnut and fine bluing on my hunting rifles). The nice thing about a 35 Whelan is that if you don't want more than 358 Winchester performance, you don't have to load it above 358 Winchester ballistics. But a 358 Winchester will never be a 35 Whelen. If you are stuck with a short action lever action or bolt action, of course, then the 35 Whelan is off the table.

One of the most persistent urban legends out there is that the .358 Winchester is limited to being a "woods rifle". I suspect that for the vast majority of cast bullet shooters, ALL calibers are "woods rifles" as far as range goes. A scope equipped .358 Winchester loaded with 180 gr. Barnes TTSX is quite capable of being far more than a "woods rifle".

Perhaps the selection of anemic factory ammo loadings for the .358 Winchester has contributed to that. Double Tap, as one example, offers the 180 gr. TTSX loaded to 2800 fps, about the same as my load with the original 180 gr. X bullet for about 25+ years. Nobody that I can recall has said that a .308 Winchester loaded with 180 grain bullets at slightly less velocity is just a "woods rifle".

Or if you're thinking grumbly bears that might be in the alders with the elk and moose, a 310 gr. Woodleigh soft point at about 2100 fps. There's a woods rifle...

John Boy
12-27-2020, 04:32 PM
Slim chance Henry will produce the 358 caliber ... popularly has dwindled

Andy45
12-28-2020, 10:19 PM
I've been itching for years for a .358 Win in a lever action. Alas, the Savage 99s and steel-framed BLRs aren't plentiful and therefore pretty pricey.

Another wishlist item is an 1895 in .35 Whelan ��

MOC031
12-29-2020, 11:54 PM
Another wishlist item is an 1895 in .35 Whelan ��

Having an 1895 circa 1898 in 30 U.S., I thought of that several times when Browning reintroduced the 1895 in 30/06. I couldn't get around spending that kind of money and then immediately removing a brand new factory barrel, however.

I'd still think about it, but at my age my hunting years are pretty numbered, and I have a hard enough time hunting enough with what I've already got to keep the dust off them. Nothing sadder than a hunting rifle that either lives in a safe or never makes it anywhere other than a rifle range.

Jim22
12-30-2020, 01:56 PM
I have a hard time thinking it would top a 99 savage in 358,or really even compare, but that is just my opinion, and they AIN"T making any more of them either.

I owned a 99 Savage in .358 Win. I sold it because I couldn't make it shoot accurately. Four inch or worse groups at 100 yds with every load I tried.

megasupermagnum
12-30-2020, 08:40 PM
I owned a 99 Savage in .358 Win. I sold it because I couldn't make it shoot accurately. Four inch or worse groups at 100 yds with every load I tried.

That's interesting. I always heard good things about the 99's accuracy. I never bought one myself, because even the old beater's were $800+ when I was looking.

Cosmic_Charlie
01-01-2021, 10:00 AM

The .308 along with the 30-30 gets it done for me with cast. Every now and again I think about a 45-70 lever though. An Encore might be the way to enjoy the .358 if you can live with a single shot.