PDA

View Full Version : Venison??

Naphtali
03-21-2018, 01:31 PM
I found perhaps 15 pounds of venison roasts and steaks in a far corner of my big freezer. The freezer is never "off" and always set for long storage. The venison is dated 2013. It was frozen fresh after cleaning and trimming. It has not been "aged." Visually and by opening one of the sealed containers to smell, I detect nothing unusual - that is, these packages appear to contain fresh meat in every respect.

Assuming the meat's taste is not unpalatable, is it safe to eat?

redhawk0
03-21-2018, 01:33 PM
If its never been thawed out...it should be safe. I'd go for it for sure. Its only been 4.5 years....that's not that long.

redhawk

Elkins45
03-21-2018, 01:35 PM
I would be worried about freezer burn if it were wrapped in paper. Otherwise I eat venison that's equally as old all the time, but I vacuum seal mine so the air can't get to it.

poppy42
03-21-2018, 01:49 PM
Nope it’s bad! Real bad!!! You’d better send it to me for proper disposal!!!!!!! Please?????

Lloyd Smale
03-21-2018, 02:35 PM
if it wasn't vacuum packed like elkins said id look it over good for freezer burn and trim off anything questionable but the meat itself isn't going to go bad. Freezer burn is basicaly drying out.

RED BEAR
03-21-2018, 02:53 PM
I have one simple rule as one who has food poisoning . when in doubt throw it out. It may be fine but is it worth trying? Only you can answer that.

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-21-2018, 03:08 PM
if it wasn't vacuum packed like elkins said id look it over good for freezer burn and trim off anything questionable but the meat itself isn't going to go bad. Freezer burn is basicaly drying out.
Yep, this is what I would do.

Generally you can both see (light colored area) and smell freezer burnt meat...the smell is more of a "stale" type smell, not a rotten smell. It's easy to trim it off.

Sweetpea
03-21-2018, 03:21 PM
We just had some sausage that we found that had been stuck in the freezer in 2011.

It was great!

waksupi
03-21-2018, 03:22 PM
Should be fine. I still have some mastodon in my freezer, and who knows how long THAT has been in there!

Naphtali
03-21-2018, 07:35 PM
Way to put things in perspective, Ric.

Should be fine. I still have some mastodon in my freezer, and who knows how long THAT has been in there!

lightman
03-21-2018, 07:48 PM
I agree, it should be ok. Freezer burn is something to watch for but easily can be trimmed off. I do try to organize the freezer where things don't stay that long. I'm getting where I really like vacuum sealed packaging!

LUCKYDAWG13
03-21-2018, 08:01 PM
I have one simple rule as one who has food poisoning . when in doubt throw it out. It may be fine but is it worth trying? Only you can answer that.

I'm with you 100% on this I had food poisoning once a few years ago Oh man was I sick

Col4570
03-21-2018, 08:08 PM
Give neighbours some then observe them for a few days.If all is well enjoy yourself.

Just kidding:veryconfu

NyFirefighter357
03-21-2018, 08:23 PM
https://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsis/topics/food-safety-education/get-answers/food-safety-fact-sheets/safe-food-handling/freezing-and-food-safety/CT_Index
Well here is what the USDA says about freezing: Is Frozen Food Safe?
Food stored constantly at 0 °F will always be safe. Only the quality suffers with lengthy freezer storage. Freezing keeps food safe by slowing the movement of molecules, causing microbes to enter a dormant stage. Freezing preserves food for extended periods because it prevents the growth of microorganisms that cause both food spoilage and food borne illness.

richhodg66
03-21-2018, 08:39 PM
Based on what you've described, I'd cook it and eat it.

Smoke4320
03-21-2018, 08:43 PM
Trim and throw away light or grey colored meat otherwise enjoy

Lloyd Smale
03-22-2018, 08:23 AM
want you meat to last. Vacuum pack it and stay away from frost free freezers.

Naphtali
03-22-2018, 08:54 AM
Bingo! We have a winner!

https://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsis/topics/food-safety-education/get-answers/food-safety-fact-sheets/safe-food-handling/freezing-and-food-safety/CT_Index
Well here is what the USDA says about freezing: Is Frozen Food Safe?
Food stored constantly at 0 °F will always be safe. Only the quality suffers with lengthy freezer storage. Freezing keeps food safe by slowing the movement of molecules, causing microbes to enter a dormant stage. Freezing preserves food for extended periods because it prevents the growth of microorganisms that cause both food spoilage and food borne illness.

Elkins45
03-22-2018, 08:55 AM
want you meat to last. Vacuum pack it and stay away from frost free freezers.

That's been my experience as well. I wouldn't hesitate to eat deer I packed in 2013.

Thumbcocker
03-22-2018, 08:59 AM
Want your meat to last put it in jars and pressure can it.

trapper9260
03-22-2018, 09:19 AM
I had eat meat that was in the freezer for some time . What I do thaw it out is put it under water and it is ok.Like stated if it have some burn remove it. I had food poison also but it is not from what I had from the freezer . It was from a place I ate at.

Idaho45guy
03-24-2018, 03:01 AM
Venison? Never good... Edible? Sure, but good? Nope. My freezer does have some steaks from a whitetail I shot coming out of a garbanzo bean field. That was the only good deer I've had. And I also have about 30lbs of moose steaks and burger. That is good meat!

Thumbcocker
03-24-2018, 01:42 PM
Just finished 2 edible longhead doe tacos with home grown jalapeņos. Managed to gag them down.

white eagle
03-24-2018, 05:44 PM
as long as its not brown black grey or smell funny go for it
It may be the best you have ever had

SeabeeMan
03-24-2018, 05:48 PM
I say good to go. I've been picking through a few random pieces of 2013 venison roast that got buried. If nothing else, trim off the freezer burned spots, chunk it up, marinate, and make it into kabobs!

Campbeans
03-24-2018, 09:01 PM
I agree with others . visually inspect , trim off the bad if any then it should be fine . I usually double wrap in freezer paper and it keeps pretty well . I've bottled ,(canned), elk and deer with great results . I've read that bottled venison should be eaten within 3 years but I've had some of mine that was stored much longer and it was just fine . Anyone know for sure on this ?

Thumbcocker
03-25-2018, 08:33 AM
Home canned food stored in a cool dark place will keep a long time> As long as the seal is intact it is probably edible. May loose some flavor or vitamins but not be dangerous.

MaryB
03-26-2018, 09:51 PM
I eat stuff that old from the freezer all the time. I rendered down hog fat 6 years ago from a whole hog I bought. Poured it in canning jars and into the freezer. Still have 10 or 12 left... Last night I had 2 year old vacuum packed sweet corn, tasted fresh!

BigMagShooter
03-28-2018, 06:09 PM
put in stew and eat up!

Mtnfolk75
03-28-2018, 06:20 PM
Just last night while rummaging the freezer for today's dinner I found 7 lbs of Pork Tri-tip dated 6-11-13 wrapped in only the Butcher Paper from the Meat Counter. Let it thaw overnight and found it looked as if it was packaged recently, it has now been in the Crock Pot for about 5 hours and smells heavenly .....

Plate plinker
03-28-2018, 06:34 PM
I had eat meat that was in the freezer for some time . What I do thaw it out is put it under water and it is ok.Like stated if it have some burn remove it. I had food poison also but it is not from what I had from the freezer . It was from a place I ate at.

Ditto! Dang restaurant around the corner got me good. I will never eat there lunch or dinner again. Ever!

MaryB
03-28-2018, 10:29 PM
When I was in the hospital for a DVT they gave an entire floor either food poisoning or norovirus... either way felt like death for over a week and I didn't think it was possible to puke that many times in a row...

gwpercle
03-29-2018, 12:40 PM
Both my Mom and my wife have a sure fire test...... Smell it after a little thawing out !
If it smells good...eat it ! The smell test also works on fish, pork , chicken and milk .
Gary