PDA

View Full Version : Smelting stick on's with adhesive

straight-shooter
09-05-2008, 05:33 PM
Has anyone here tryed smelting the soft lead stick on strips with the adhesive on the back ? I searched here and found some people who go the extra effort and soak them in degreaser or thinner to remove the adhesive. Bottom line of my question here is does the adhesive backing contaminate the lead and will it just burn off or float to the top ? I need to smelt these for BP shooting.

DLCTEX
09-05-2008, 05:43 PM
just toss them in and melt them. Other than smoke, they make a little flux, no harm at all. DALE

Jim
09-05-2008, 05:46 PM
I'm sure this is obvious, but make sure you do this outside or with NASA level ventilation.

straight-shooter
09-05-2008, 05:51 PM
just toss them in and melt them. Other than smoke, they make a little flux, no harm at all. DALE

Excellent news!

Soaking and scraping just didn't seem all that exciting. :roll:

compass will
09-05-2008, 11:08 PM
When I melt stick-on's I just throw them into the pot with glue and tape still on them. Then I always light the the top of the pot once it starts melting. It really helps clear up the smoke and stink. Just remember to take the thermometer out first.

nicholst55
09-05-2008, 11:25 PM
The adhesive usually spontaneously ignites when I do it, so I don't have to waste a match. :)

GabbyM
09-06-2008, 09:50 AM
I like to keep a jug of used motor oil handy when smelting. When a pot full of dirty metal wants to just sit their and smoke while refusing to light off. I'll pour some in and light it off.

I have a box of scrap with a big old toilet base flange in it. Has a thick layer of what you'd expect to see on the inside. I'll be firing that pot with some used motor oil you can bet. Will be standing way back also. With all that moisture held in it may get exciting.

But I sure aint washing or soaking it.

straight-shooter
09-06-2008, 05:42 PM
I just finished melting these stick-ons with the adhesives still on them. It did smoke quite a bit so I did light it up and let it dissipate. I skimmed off the junk and the lead glistened. I refluxed a second time and poured them off into ingots. These are quite a bit shinier than regular WW lead ingots. I may try casting some tonight into some .457 round ball.

Thanks for the help everyone.

straight-shooter
09-06-2008, 09:43 PM
Ok, this has me confused. I just put some of the adhesive strip lead I made ingots from into my Lee 4-20 pot and made some round balls. These round balls came out looking super mirror finish shiny looking. I just checked the diameter and weight and they are perfect at .457 diameter and 144 grains in weight. Is this normal for using soft lead wheel weight strips ?

randyrat
09-07-2008, 06:10 AM
Silver like apperance is normal. Now if you let them sit in the environment for long they will oxidize and turn dull. They look like they should be used for Vampires!