PDA

View Full Version : More info needed on bench rests!!

joeb33050
09-05-2008, 04:27 PM
BENCH REST INFO
Hoppes bench rest, no bag, adjusts from 5-1/2" to 8" from bench top to bag-holder thing. The leg screws allow another 5/8" height increase. The bag is 1" high at the center.
Rifles
With the butt stock at the center for height in the bag, and the barrel level, the barrel center line is this height above the bench:

TC Renegade .50 7-1/2"
BSA Martini 22 RF 7-3/4"
C. Sharps 1875 45/70 7-3/4"
M54 Winchester 30/30 8-1/4"
Martini bench 30/30 8-1/4"
Maynard #16 32/35 8-1/2"
Werndl 9-1/2"

Pistols
When the barrel is level, from the bench to the barrel is:
Ruger 22RF MKII 4-3/4"
Competitor 30BR 5-1/2"

Tom-n8ies
09-06-2008, 07:12 PM
I don't understand your post but found a rest you can build cheep.

google "sissor jack rifle rest" and it will show some plans using a car sissor jack for an adjustable front rifle rest.

Here is one of them

Find a scissor jack & use 2 zoom ties to hold the front leather sand bag in place & this is what everyone is using. I went to the dump & found 3 jacks made one & gave the other 2 away. The crystal door knob I epoxied on the part where you turn to raise or lower the pad with the sand bag looks cool.

Of all the homemade front rest I have used this has been the easiest and most adjustable front rest to use with the rear owl ear sand bag. The whole rig is very steady & less expensieve then many of the plastic or metal tripods @ $60.00 & up.

So one full size scissor jack & 1 front sand bag with 1 rear sand bag a door knob & some zip ties to hold the front bag on the flat pad that pushes up on the car. Easy to make & will last a lifetime. Is this what you are thinking about? With a right or left hand you can adjust that jack up and down better than most store bought front Adj front leather sand bag rest.

I'm surprised more Shooters don't know about using the scissor jacks for adjusting their front bag. This is one of those bench shooters tricks I am learning about shooting on the bench. Shooters paint them stars & stripes, metal flake with clear coat. I think I started a fad with my old found is an old house in Ohio Crystal door knob, everyone wants one now but brass looks nice also.

tom

monadnock#5
09-06-2008, 08:24 PM
I have the same Hoppes rig that you do. Are you looking for a rig to go higher, lower? Do you want to know the barrel to bench clearance for a bunch of different guns? If you're looking for the various elevations at which we shoot, perhaps sea level should be factored in. :drinks:

jack19512
09-06-2008, 08:25 PM
I just ordered me a portable shooting bench from Midway and about the only negative thing said about the bench was the front rest and just the other day I was trying to clean my shop out and noticed one of those jacks sitting against the wall and thought to myself I will never use that thing and was wondering where I could get rid of it. Now I know! :mrgreen: