PDA

View Full Version : New here first post

mamachay
09-05-2008, 08:10 AM
Howdy,
I just bought my first reloader, and a BUNCH of supplies (estate sale). This looks like the place for some good info. Don't be surprised if I ask stupid questions. I have never tried to reload before.
Thanks,
Eric

jawjaboy
09-05-2008, 08:13 AM
Welcome Eric. Good ta have ya here.

Calamity Jake
09-05-2008, 08:20 AM
Welcome Eric. The best thing you can do, before you ever pull a handle on that loader is
READ READ READ, load manuals that is, get you a Lyman 47 or 48 and maybe a Hornday and an RCBS. Any ?'s these books don't answer ask here, somebody will give you a straight answer.

Boerrancher
09-05-2008, 08:52 AM
Welcome Eric, and I agree with what Jake just said. Even if you are lucky enough to have someone you know who is near by that reloads and casts, it is best if you read as much as you can before you invite them over to help you set up and start loading. The Lyman manuals are a great place to start. I have the Lyman 46th edition and it is packed full of information. You can also down load many of the data manuals from the powder companies. I print them out and put them in 3 ring binders for quick access to loading data while at the bench. Final thing, when it comes to hand loading, there is no such thing as a "stupid question." The only stupid question is the one you thought about but never ask, as that might just be the one that keeps things from going real bad, and saves your butt.

Best wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe

xr650
09-05-2008, 09:23 AM
Welcome to the forum.
Lots of knowledgable folks here.

nighthunter
09-05-2008, 11:53 AM
Welcome Eric .... If you are serious about shooting and reloading you have found a great place with great people. You might as well settle in cause you'll probably be here awhile.

Nighthunter (Ed)

AZ-Stew
09-05-2008, 12:21 PM
Just a bit of clarification...

Jake and Boerrancher said what I would have said, but they left out a detail: Don't just browse the loading tables. Be sure to read and re-read the "how to" section and the sections of the books that pertain to the individual components that make up your load, i.e., the brass case, bullet (or when you get up to speed and start casting, "boolit"), primer and powder. It is very important that you understand each of these components, as well as the procedure for handloading.

If you find that you enjoy handloading, you may embark on a lifetime hobby of shooting, experimenting and learning. I've been at it for 35 years and I'm sure the other old timers here will agree that we're all still learning.

Welcome aboard!

Regards,

Stew

Shiloh
09-05-2008, 12:33 PM
Welcome!!

There is a wealth of knowledge here and folks willing to share.

I got a lot of reloading equipment second hand myself. A Dillon 550 came with dies, a large RCBS tumbler, powders, bullets, scales and accessories. I was happy to get just the Dillon press, that was the arrangement, but when I saw 3 boxes of stuff I knew I struck gold.

Kind of makes up for some of those times you take one in the shorts. :)

There are no stupid questions with the exception of the one you are afraid to ask and end up with poor results because of it. Thats Stupid!!

I ask a lot of questions here. Thats because there are folks willing to share. We were all rookies one time.

Welcome!!

Shiloh :castmine:

45nut
09-05-2008, 01:26 PM
Just a bit of clarification...

Jake and Boerrancher said what I would have said, but they left out a detail: Don't just browse the loading tables. Be sure to read and re-read the "how to" section and the sections of the books that pertain to the individual components that make up your load, i.e., the brass case, bullet (or when you get up to speed and start casting, "boolit"), primer and powder. It is very important that you understand each of these components, as well as the procedure for handloading.

If you find that you enjoy handloading, you may embark on a lifetime hobby of shooting, experimenting and learning. I've been at it for 35 years and I'm sure the other old timers here will agree that we're all still learning.

Welcome aboard!

Regards,

Stew
I can't agree more on how important the actual reading of the manuals is, the load data in the books is no doubt important, but for the novice it is secondary and the focus should be on the why and how of reloading first.

There are several very basic steps in taking a fired piece of brass and making a reloaded cartridge that are simple and basic, but the devil is in the details.

Certainly anyone with an average IQ can reload a round of ammunition, those old timers here can relate to the Lee loader as the genuine introduction to reloading for many of them and it will contain all of the tools to go thru each mechanical step, but there are steps that are not mechanical that equate to proper reloading that are not as clear, the Speer, Hornady, Lyman and Lee books among others do excellent jobs in laying out the various methods and practices.
Before I ever reloaded a round of ammo myself I bought a Speer book and read it several times and asked for counsel from the fellow that ran the little gun shop I bought it at.

Now with the web available many more options and information sources are available at an instant, but the print copy should always be the first item bought as part of a reloading outfit. And the more the merrier, each book is written and reviewed by teams of reloading experts and each will be covering the basics and offering a unique perspective and hidden gems that will make the experience you have much more satisfying. And unlike the internet, when the power goes out that book will still be available.
Welcome, good luck and be safe.

copdills
09-05-2008, 01:59 PM
welcome to the forum Eric, your hooked can't turn back now LOL:castmine:

Kuato
09-05-2008, 02:02 PM
Welcome aboard! Now sit back & pour ya a few hot ones!!

Wayne Smith
09-05-2008, 02:07 PM
Agreed with all the above and I'll add the Sierra manual to the list. Welcome and ask your 'stupid' questions first, frequently it's those answers that will keep your keister connected to the rest of your body!

crabo
09-05-2008, 06:11 PM
All the above is good advice, but start collecting wheel weights now, even though you do not know what to do with them yet. You'll figure it out long before you realize you don't have enough stockpiled.

Bill*
09-05-2008, 08:56 PM
Yeah.....There's no such thing as enough wheel weights!!! And Welcome, Eric

compass will
09-05-2008, 11:10 PM
and fill out your location. One of us might live next door to you!

WHITETAIL
09-06-2008, 09:12 AM
Welcome to the forum!:castmine: