PDA

View Full Version : Maybe last Gunshow this weekend

abunaitoo
03-16-2018, 04:55 PM
We have our, twice a year, Gunshow this weekend.
Might be the last.
Arena getting lots of calls, and letters, calling for it to be canceled.
As far as I know, only Gunshow in the state.
As far as I know, it's still going on.

Springfield
03-16-2018, 05:24 PM
They are trying to cancel our gunshows held at the County Fairgrounds also. The Mayor said something like how can they allow gunshows when their job is to protect and promote the well being of it's citizens. Sounds like nanny state BS to me.

Outer Rondacker
03-16-2018, 05:29 PM
We lost our gun shows in upstate ny. Well part of the state. Was four shows a year now down to one last show may 28th.

Hickory
03-16-2018, 05:38 PM
Gun owners need to speak up.

dverna
03-16-2018, 07:01 PM
The significant issue for me is the reason they are being banned....nothing good comes from that.

I personally will not miss them. It has been over two years since I attended one and over six years since I purchased anything at one.

richhodg66
03-16-2018, 08:03 PM
I went to a gun show in Wichita last weekend with my Dad. It's one that seems to cater to old and antique stuff, not table after table of black rifles and automatic pistols, maybe that's the difference. Nothing out of the ordinary, no protests, etc. Everybody having a good time, and that's the only big gun show I bother with anymore (I still love the little town ones around here though)

Gun shows appear alive and well here. God I love Kansas, think I'll go outside and kiss the ground now.

RogerDat
03-16-2018, 08:47 PM
Not having them because they don't draw sufficient customers is one thing. People who don't even go to the shows complaining about them to officials is silly to use a mixed company term for a lots of very negative and somewhat profane terms.

There are a number of shows I have no interest in that waste peoples money and time but I don't call or write to complain about them.

abunaitoo
03-17-2018, 01:42 AM
Gun Shows are a good chance for newer shooters to pick-up things they wouldn't get at the range.
I'm not talking about material things, I'm talking about knowledge.
I've talked to, and helped many new shooters over the years,
Even made a few new friends.
I'd rather new shooters learn from experience rather than a magazine.
It's also a time to see old friends. Catch up on things.
Gun Shows, like everything else, are what you make of it.
I'm not a black gun guy. I like the old stuff.
Dealers should understand that even though they may not sell a lot, they may gain a new customer.
We have a few vendors that come from the lower 48. They all seem to do well.
One guy said it's in the top five of shows, as far as sales, that he goes to.
It's what he does for a living.
Plus they get a trip to Hawaii.

Rcmaveric
03-17-2018, 02:38 AM
We have a gun show about every two to three months here. I always go. Yeah lots of over priced stuff. Jus as much reasonably priced stuff. Everything is cheap online till you add the shipping. Then it becomes cheaper to buy local. Just shop smartly. There is always a deal. I am waiting for the big one to come buy again, there is an old lady that comes and sells powder cheaper and there is a rep that shows to sell Shooter World powders. I want to cashe up on some powder. Even if i don't buy anything i always end up atleast chatting with a stranger for an hour and the wife and i spend time together.

6bg6ga
03-17-2018, 05:59 AM
We have a gun show the 16,17, and 18th of March so it will be interesting to see the media coverage at it this weekend.

Gun show in Cedar Rapids, Iowa this weekend.

Outer Rondacker
03-17-2018, 06:33 AM
6bg6ga you should fill in your location on your profile. This way when you say things like (WE) we get an idea who we might be. Penn southern NY so on. :razz:

6bg6ga
03-17-2018, 06:45 AM
Come on man. No one wants to say that they live in Iowa. Give me a break:-| Near Cedar Rapids, Iowa You might remember that Cedar Rapids flooded out in 2008 and made its way into the news for several weeks in a row. No, I don't live in Cedar Rapids roughly about 10 mi away and out of the flood zone. Don't have any corn in my yard either and not everyone farms grows corn and slopps hogs.

Bent Ramrod
03-17-2018, 08:56 AM
Also objectionable to the anti-gunner powers-that-be is that gun shows allow us to see how many of us there are, and how normal we are. (With a few exceptions, and those not dangerous to society.)

It’s like when the Crown tried to ban coffee houses in the 17th century on the basis that the new drink was dangerous to health. But what they really didn’t like were the political and social discussions that were going on there, and how popular the scene was getting to be.

The only Gun Shows I don’t go to are those on the same days as shooting matches. And that’s because I’m at an age where the actual use of the stuff I’ve accumulated had better be of a higher priority than accumulating more. I certainly don’t want the producers of American Hoarders sniffing around here. :mrgreen:

Tonto
03-17-2018, 09:14 AM
Best gun show in Iowa is the Brownell's showroom in Grinnell on I-80...I drive from NW Indiana to Omaha once in awhile and that is the perfect rest stop.....and folks who make fun of Iowa, have never been to Iowa, its a beautiful state.

xfoxofshogo
03-17-2018, 09:26 AM
last time i was at the Waco tx gun show it was all about AR stuff and glocks and all new maybe one or 2 tables of reload and old guns that where price way to hi i go to gun shows for old and used stuff and a good deal not to spend what i would or more in a gun shop

Outer Rondacker
03-17-2018, 09:26 AM
Come on man. No one wants to say that they live in Iowa. Give me a break:-| Near Cedar Rapids, Iowa You might remember that Cedar Rapids flooded out in 2008 and made its way into the news for several weeks in a row. No, I don't live in Cedar Rapids roughly about 10 mi away and out of the flood zone. Don't have any corn in my yard either and not everyone farms grows corn and slopps hogs.
hehe no prob. Iowa is to far to drive for me for a gun show. I do not blame you on the corn. I live in mountains flat land for me would be a blessing.

Bent Ramrod - They want people who own guns to keep it to themselves. I say lets get our clubs to advertise and start open shoots and get more people involved in shooting. I love gun shows and "I am not ready to let them go gentle into the night."

jsizemore
03-17-2018, 09:34 AM
We have a gun show every month. Same vendors at each show. If you need something you can give them a call and they can save you hazmat. Sometimes you run up on a deal but not often. I do make a donation to the pretty girls at the junior marksmanship display. Most vendors complain about the tire kickers but they keep coming back.

This is in Raleigh.

glockfan
03-17-2018, 09:56 AM
They are trying to cancel our gunshows held at the County Fairgrounds also. The Mayor said something like how can they allow gunshows when their job is to protect and promote the well being of it's citizens. Sounds like nanny state BS to me.

this sentence ,especially exiting the mouth trapp of a politician , doesn't make any sens.

where is the link between the hypothetical loss of public safety,and a simple gun show ?? even a kid would find this rethoric infantile. this is another slam in the face of law abiding gun owners, and this has to stop .

richhodg66
03-17-2018, 11:32 AM
This is the show in Wichita I referenced;

https://www.visitwichita.com/event/chisholm-trail-antique-gun-association-gun-show/22602/

Best big gun show I have been to in years. Lots and lots and lots of reloading and bullet casting stuff, never seen a show that was so heavy on that kind of stuff. Very few black rifles or dealers with new stuff. Exactly what gun shows are supposed to be, check it out if you can. I had thought it was twice a year, but it looks like the next one is a year from now.

375supermag
03-17-2018, 01:10 PM
Hi...
Personally, I enjoy gun shows.

My son and I are regular attendees.
I usually buy from private individuals who are selling off their private collections of guns, used reloading equipment , holsters, etc.
Where else would I get a practically new set of rifle dies for $10 or a pristine Sako rifle that was made in the early 1960s for $400 or a Dan Wesson revolver for around $400???

trapper9260
03-18-2018, 07:48 AM
Best gun show in Iowa is the Brownell's showroom in Grinnell on I-80...I drive from NW Indiana to Omaha once in awhile and that is the perfect rest stop.....and folks who make fun of Iowa, have never been to Iowa, its a beautiful state.

We have guns shows more then one time in the year here.Mainly at this time of the year and before and during hunting season.Yes folks dose make fun of Iowa and it one of the last know states.Do not tell anyone . There is only corn and soybean lol.

6bg6ga
03-18-2018, 08:21 AM
We have guns shows more then one time in the year here.Mainly at this time of the year and before and during hunting season.Yes folks dose make fun of Iowa and it one of the last know states.Do not tell anyone . There is only corn and soybean lol.

Hell, I make fun of Iowa and I unfortunately live here. If the United States had a rectum it would be Iowa just saying. Been to Brownell's many times since its in my travel area. They have a nice setting and supply of firearms and full retail prices. You can be sure however that if your looking for something they will have it.

richhodg66
03-18-2018, 09:48 AM
"If the United States had a rectum it would be Iowa"

Not even close. I'd happily live anywhere in the Midwest over pretty much anywhere on the eastern sea board.

FISH4BUGS
03-18-2018, 10:02 AM
Not even close. I'd happily live anywhere in the Midwest over pretty much anywhere on the eastern sea board.
Now them's fightin' words! :)
I'm Not sure where in KS you live but i am Kansas boy. Lived at Ft. Leavenworth and Leavenworth, graduated from Leavenworth High School, went to Kansas Sate in Manhattan, KS and toured the entire Midwest with the Reunion Band (played a B3 Hammond) in 67-69. I moved to New Hampshire is 1970 and never regretted in for a minute.
Yes we have harsh winters but I would take that over a regularly occurring hot and humid summer heat wave and tornadoes any day....ah yes....those lovely tornadoes.
We just learned to embrace the winter and snowshoe and winter hike....you guys hit the tornado shelters.
Besides, NH is gun friendly and conservative....and no sales or income tax!
No brainer in my book!

bbs70
03-18-2018, 11:57 AM
Wife working this weekend, so I decided to go to the St. Charles, Mo convention center gun show to pick up some powder & primers and to look around.
It is a fairly big show and draws a lot of people even from Illinois.
Admission is high, $12 to get in
What I saw were mostly black rifles and Glocks, and there is nothing wrong with that.
BUT, 1 vendor with primers and NO powder what so ever anywhere to be seen.
Don't think I'll be going back

Outer Rondacker
03-18-2018, 12:12 PM
NYS has a no powder rule when the gun show is held on state or country land. Private shows can have powder but I do not know of anyone who does. Some primers sneak in. Rules rules and more rules.

Steppapajon
03-18-2018, 02:10 PM
Hell, I make fun of Iowa and I unfortunately live here. If the United States had a rectum it would be Iowa just saying. Been to Brownell's many times since its in my travel area. They have a nice setting and supply of firearms and full retail prices. You can be sure however that if your looking for something they will have it.

Whats the best thing to ever come out of Iowa?
I-80.
That being said I lived in Palo IA for about 13 months in the late 90s. Some of the best people I have ever met.
Hard working, god fearing, family oriented, down to earth people. I wish there were a few more like that where I am.

richhodg66
03-18-2018, 02:40 PM
I'm Not sure where in KS you live but i am Kansas boy. Lived at Ft. Leavenworth and Leavenworth, graduated from Leavenworth High School, went to Kansas Sate in Manhattan, KS and toured the entire Midwest with the Reunion Band (played a B3 Hammond) in 67-69. I moved to New Hampshire is 1970 and never regretted in for a minute.
Yes we have harsh winters but I would take that over a regularly occurring hot and humid summer heat wave and tornadoes any day....ah yes....those lovely tornadoes.
We just learned to embrace the winter and snowshoe and winter hike....you guys hit the tornado shelters.
No brainer in my book!

I grew up on the east coast (S.C.) and if I ever did have to move back east of the Mississippi, it would be there. Had to drive east about a year ago to pick up my son from the Camp Lejune area, couldn't get out of all that congestion and **** fast enough. Everybody likes to throw out the Tornados, but I saw way more stuff destroyed by hurricanes than I have by tornadoes and you know they're coming eventually.

I'll take my "flyover country". You're gonna be hard pressed to find a more gun friendly, conservative, solid and sane populous than you are here.

Moonie
03-18-2018, 05:04 PM
Big town over has a mayor that is wanting to end the gun shows in her town, democrat. We do have a state law that is being used to keep her at bay...

Huskerguy
03-18-2018, 10:42 PM
I went to a gun show in Wichita last weekend with my Dad. It's one that seems to cater to old and antique stuff, not table after table of black rifles and automatic pistols, maybe that's the difference. Nothing out of the ordinary, no protests, etc. Everybody having a good time, and that's the only big gun show I bother with anymore (I still love the little town ones around here though)

Gun shows appear alive and well here. God I love Kansas, think I'll go outside and kiss the ground now.

I had gone to the Chisholm Trail (Wichita Gun Show) for many years. I was formerly at Park City in a nice large facility. The moved to the Hartman Arena a few years and although a nice show it is about a third of the size. The big deal for me is they still charge $10 for a third of the show. Hard to justify. I won't say "I will never go back" but it will be a while.

Iowa Fox
03-18-2018, 11:02 PM
I haven't been to any of the Cedar Rapids shows this year but my friends always give me a full report as soon as they get home or on their way home. Bob's reloading quit the CR show this year. Table rates went up this year. I don't think Bob was happy when Brownells bought out Crow and changed his price structure. Sieh guns was there with more tables than ever. Gabe was scaled back a little this show. Mike Beaupain a well known & respected dealer was there in his usual corner, she hasn't been to any shows this year so he was running things himself. Kids were supposed to have a protest rally by the entrance at 6th St. Don't know if it happened or not. I just hope the schools weren't using school buses to get then there. The schools are all crying they need more money but property taxes are sky high in the area.

starmac
03-18-2018, 11:08 PM
No brainer in my book!

Just curious, without driving in a circle, how far can you drive before you are in lunatic controlled enemy territory? lol

Back to the original situation of the topic, I see this as a tragic situation for the op and every other shooting enthusiast in Hawaii, it is not like a guy can drive an hour or twu to another state, and believe it or not not everything is available by mail order like in the continous 48 states.

6bg6ga
03-19-2018, 05:21 AM
I haven't been to any of the Cedar Rapids shows this year but my friends always give me a full report as soon as they get home or on their way home. Bob's reloading quit the CR show this year. Table rates went up this year. I don't think Bob was happy when Brownells bought out Crow and changed his price structure. Sieh guns was there with more tables than ever. Gabe was scaled back a little this show. Mike Beaupain a well known & respected dealer was there in his usual corner, she hasn't been to any shows this year so he was running things himself. Kids were supposed to have a protest rally by the entrance at 6th St. Don't know if it happened or not. I just hope the schools weren't using school buses to get then there. The schools are all crying they need more money but property taxes are sky high in the area.

The show in CR looked to be scaled back a little but I didn't get there until Sunday and maybe some of the venders had already left. Seemed like there were a lot of AR's and from what I understand a few people came in to look at the evil rifles. I din't notice a lot of powder and primers like the usual. I don't think CR is ever going to ban the gun shows.

Wayne Smith
03-19-2018, 03:00 PM
Just curious, without driving in a circle, how far can you drive before you are in lunatic controlled enemy territory? lol
As long as he goes slightly west of north, quite a ways!

richhodg66
03-19-2018, 06:56 PM
I had gone to the Chisholm Trail (Wichita Gun Show) for many years. I was formerly at Park City in a nice large facility. The moved to the Hartman Arena a few years and although a nice show it is about a third of the size. The big deal for me is they still charge $10 for a third of the show. Hard to justify. I won't say "I will never go back" but it will be a while.

Yeah, $10 is a lot more than most of the gun shows I attend, but most of those are small towns, which I love. Still, $10 to keep me that entertained for a couple of hours seems cheap to me. That show had a ton of reloading and bullet casting stuff, though I was looking specifically for 7x57 brass and couldn't find any.

I have lived in Kansas for 24 years or so, but just recently started getting to Wichita fairly regularly since that's where we relocated my folks in Andover. I'm glad I found out about that show. I'm not too keen on the Topeka shows, and the little town shows are wonderful community events and I love going, but no where near as much stuff as that Cimarron show. I think I only ever went to one gun show I thought wasn't worth the cost of admission and it was in Manhattan, go figure. Total waste of time, and I think that was the last one held there, at least I haven't seen one advertised since.

abunaitoo
03-20-2018, 02:22 AM
"If the United States had a rectum it would be Iowa"

You should see the politics in hawaii. We could also be in the running for the rectum of the USA.

abunaitoo
03-20-2018, 02:32 AM
Show was a bust for me.
Over 3000 paid through the doors. Not counting us sellers.
Mostly lookers and feelers at my table.
Not to many buyers.
I did pick-up a press. It's posted in the equipment forum.
I think I made a few new friends. Made some kids happy with toys.
Don't think there were any protesters. Didn't see, or hear of any.
It's more of a drain when it's not busy. Tired.