PDA

View Full Version : Would be machinists take note

William Yanda
03-16-2018, 10:32 AM
I just got a notice of an auction-Sayre, PA-by a school district closing a metal shop program. Several lathes and milling machines and stock including lead in the sale.

jeepyj
03-16-2018, 11:14 AM
At the last school tool action I went to the prices of the beautiful machinery went next to nothing. A powermatic table saw was $75. Unbelievable. Good luck I wish i was in your area.

country gent
03-16-2018, 11:45 AM
Depends a lot on the equipment. wood working tools seem to go reasonable. ( Table saws, radial arm saws, wood lathes belt and disk sanders, band saws, jointers and planers) On the other hand the metal working equipment seems to bring a premium around here. I watched a logan 6X24 lathe ( had full set of change gears, a Jacobs chuck for the spindle and one for the tail stock, a 4 jaw and faceplate lantern/ rocker type tool post) bring $1600.00. An old Van Norman vertical mill ( vise and 3 collets) with a bad y axis thread brought about the same. This is around here and does vary by the area. bigger lathes go cheaper here any thing 18" swing or bigger and the price starts dropping. The big lathe in the first shop I worked 24" swing x 10' bed they couldn't get an opening bid on. The little craftsman 8" x 36" had a bidding war going on it.

One thing I really recommend to people is to look up what your going to be buying and see what it brings on the internet and at the vendors, used and new prices both. In this way you have an idea hat its worth and what you can get a brand new version for.

mold maker
03-16-2018, 12:56 PM
Same goes for anything sold at auction. To some folks, the idea of winning at all cost is more powerful than common sense.