PDA

View Full Version : Case neck expanders

GregLaROCHE
03-15-2018, 08:52 PM
Hi,
I just bought the Lee case expander kit. It works ok and I have stoped scraping leal off the sides of my boolits. Its not great though. I heard that someone, maybe Lyman makes ones that are parallel so the whole length of the case mouth is worked and not just a bell at the beginning. Can someone tell me more about these and where to find them? Will they work in the Lee die?

georgerkahn
03-15-2018, 09:06 PM
The brand of expanders I use is Lyman. Their URL page is: https://www.lymanproducts.com/brands/lyman/dies-die-sets/rifle-die-sets/rifle-neck-expanding-m-dies.html Lyman does not have the franchise -- others manufacture and sell these as well. If you have brass in decent shape -- not over-worked (work-hardened with no springback) -- for me, in addition to eliminating shavings, it also allows straighter bullet seating, with the implication of more accuracy in shooting as well. Good choice; good luck!
geo

eric123
03-15-2018, 09:07 PM
I use NOE inserts in my Lee universal flaring die...

kbstenberg
03-15-2018, 09:12 PM
Eric how do the Noe sizing inserts fit into the lee flairing tool?

15meter
03-15-2018, 09:23 PM
Just like the Lee, but they are shaped like the Lyman M die. A straight cylinder with a slight belling feature at the top. The Lee is just a simple taper. I use both and much prefer either a real belling die as designed for straight wall cartridges or the Noe inserts.

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product_info.php?cPath=88&products_id=2803&osCsid=3iv0o8us6ppahh1bf2aoe5atj4

DDriller
03-15-2018, 11:26 PM
I use NOE inserts in my Lee universal flaring die...

That's what I use also. They work great.

tankgunner59
03-19-2018, 11:14 PM
I've always used the Lee expander. You just need to bell very slightly, just enough so the bullet will start in the case mouth.

Bohica793
03-19-2018, 11:28 PM
Another vote for the NOE expanders. They work great.

Rcmaveric
03-20-2018, 12:01 AM
Another vote for the Lee die with NOE expanders. Cheaper and collecting them can be a new hobby. By the Lyman M die and you have to buy bunch. Go with NOE and its inexpensive to add new cartridges. I like reasonably priced simple and effective tools.

EDG
03-20-2018, 03:16 AM
The Lee tool is not an expander it is a flaring tool. It has no effect on the inside diameter of the rest of the neck.
For neck expansion use Lyman M die expanders or the equivalents by NOE, Track of the WOLF, Buffalo Arms or make them yourself.

sharps4590
03-20-2018, 06:30 AM
Dadgum 15meter!!! Thanks for posting that!!! I was totally ignorant such plugs existed. I've been hobbling along with the Lee Universal die for several years and never have liked it except that it does keep from shaving bullets. I can easily feel when seating the bullets that in some cartridges the neck tension is to tight.