PDA

View Full Version : Lead and Bullet Discoloration

HunterOne
03-15-2018, 12:30 AM
Hello All,
I am having a problem with my lead and bullets turning a bluish purple color. The lead also turns yellowish. I have changed lots and I’m still having the same problem. My bullets before use to be perfectly silver. I cast at 700 degrees F and use a ladle. I am using 99% pure lead from Rotometals. And advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

upnorthwis
03-15-2018, 10:22 AM
If it were me, I would not be using pure lead. I would add something to it to make it harder, can get it from Rotometals. Also, I've never let color be a problem, only leading and group size.

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-15-2018, 10:40 AM
HunterOne,
Welcome to the forum.

I suspect you got your lead overheated. You don't mention the technique of how you are measuring temperature?
See post #7
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?63550-Gold-and-purple-and-blue-Oh-My!&p=674036&viewfull=1#post674036

Also, I assume you are using Rotometals 99.9% (yes that .9% matters, at least with the advice I am about to give).
When I cast pure lead (or near pure) for muzzleloader Rifle, I will add 0.5% tin. The projectiles will always cast a silver color and remain that way far longer. Regarding storage (the main reason I add 0.5% tin), pure lead will oxidize (turn white) within 6 months(depending on storage conditions), But that addition of 0.5% tin will inhibit oxidation for years.

jdfoxinc
03-15-2018, 10:45 AM
Too hot.

bangerjim
03-15-2018, 12:28 PM
YES.......too hot and too pure for normal cartridge boolits. Pure is OK for BP muzzle load shooting but you need some Sn in there to give some hardness.......10-12 us goof for general cal's. Soft Pb in cart pistols is just looking for trouble.

But you did not say anything about what your are casting (size, cal, style) which helps us out a lot!

Cool your Pb down, add a little Sn and you should be fine.

If you want to totally eliminate your "color" problems above, powder coat all your rounds like I and hundreds of others do! No grease, no leading, no sticky boolits, no discolored boolits. Just good old perfect boolits!

banger